“Awesome - in the Old School Sense” 5 of 5 stars

Road 307, Kilometer 244.5, Akumal 77710, Mexico
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Dos Ojos Scuba specializes in cavern and cave diving services, including guiding and training (IANTD - Cavern to Full Cave Diver and PADI - all recreational scuba diver levels). The dive shop is located at the main entrance of cenotes Dos Ojos on Highway 307, close to Xel-Ha, about 6 miles (10 km) south of Akumal or 10 miles (12 km) north of Tulum.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New Paltz, New York
12 attraction reviews
“Awesome - in the Old School Sense”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My daughter and I are PADI AOW certified divers with about 35 ocean dives each - mostly in Asia. This place blew us both away!
Very professional, very well laid out, exceptional emphasis on safety. Rental equipment is in good shape and guides all speak English very well. Or guide - Sergio - was very helpful and careful.
We did two dives, each a different route, each lasting about 45 minutes.
The water was crystal clear, the caverns and rock formations were amazing, and the glimpses of light occasionally filtering in from above were like prismatic jewels of color.
The water is fresh, so buoyancy is easy to control, but it's cold - I wore a 3 mil wetsuit and my daughter had a 5 mil and we were fine.
This was, perhaps, one of the coolest things we've ever done - in or out of water. I highly recommend this to anyone who dives - UNLESS you're claustrophobic - in which case, stay away! Guaranteed to flip you out!

Visited July 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Arrived in Tulum knowing I would be diving the 'cenotes' at some point. Finally took the plunge 8 days into our holiday. I had already snorkelled at this cenote (dos ojos) earlier in the week and decided it would be the one. As I watched divers from the surface I could feel the excitement gripping me and the anticipation intensified during the two days between snorkelling and diving.
I choose Dos Ojos Dive shop after a brief visit and chat with the two dive masters I met. Being an ex manager of a diving centre I base my choice on the general 'feel' I get from a dive centre. This shop is not by any stretch glamorous or well stocked, it is quite the opposite in fact,but the professionalism and enthusiasm of the guys did it for me. I only required minimum equipment having most of my own and the gear supplied was more than adequate. Also, I only wanted diving. I did not require snacks,drinks,towels or any other pampering which is not supplied so take everything you need with you, I suggest simply water. There are toilets on site.The two dives I did we're outstanding, the visability in the caverns is amazing. stalactites and stalacmites everywhere! Water around 25 Celsius so wrap up in a 3 to 5mm wetsuit. No crowds but this is LOW season. I had my own guide which is unusual on a fun dive,big groups are not my thing. The dive briefing was thorough and spoken in my language which is always welcome.I would recommend these guys without hesitation. I'm a very experienced diver but left feeling really well looked after and that all my requirements had been met. I hope this helps others hoping to dive at Dos Ojos
Oh! There is a bat cave!! Not scary and no Batman sadly....enjoy

Visited June 2013
Terrasse Vaudreuil
“Best otherworldly experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

3rd time visiting Dos Oyos, 8 yr old new but intrepid snorkeler loved it but her grandmother was too claustrophobic to follow into the cave where bats flew overhead. Unique of all the cenotes visited in Yucatan, not the Disneyesque all inclusive variety, this is a truly wonder full place!

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
15 attraction reviews
“Something one must do once as a SCUBA diver”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

You can't miss this attraction as it is on the right side of the road about 12 kilometers north of Tulum. There is nothing much more on the road around it. And "Dos Ojos" is suppose to be the longest, clearest, best of the cave dive sites in the area. I hadn't dove any of the other Cennotes, I can say "Dos Ojos", I can say Dos Ojos is long clear and an interesting safe cave dive site; mind you this is coming from someone who has not previuosly dove in a Cennotes or caves. I do have several hundred dive experiences.
When wee were there in late March the pricing was $70.00 USD for a one tank dive and $100.00 for a two tank dive. We opted for the two tank package and followed two different lined courses on our dives.
I will say everyone; from the gentleman who greeted us at the gate to the park area, to the dive shop operator, to the dive master, and even the underwater photographer was immensely friendly and helpful.
Where I would change or improve the dive experience in "Dos Ojos" would be in the water. As I mentioned I have several hundred dives,and my 14 year old son has about 30 open water dives. During the 1st 40 minute, 25' max depth, dive at "Dos Ojos" we finished the dive with 1,800 PSI; we entered the water with tanks filled to 3,200 PSI. After a short 10 to 15 minute surface interval and a change of tanks we reentered the cave system for dive # 2, which took us to 35 feet and lasted no more than minutes. Again we started with 3,200 PSI tanks, and finished with in excess of 1,600 PSI.
The diver master who lead us, seeing our air consumption was as little as it was could have taken us through both caves, same entry point on one tank, or he could have left the main line and done a little side exploring into deep interesting caverns. Everyone had reels, dive master had double tanks. Point being the dive into the Cennotes could have been made much more interesting with a little thought and no additional cost to the dive shop. They aren't running a dive boat 10 or more kilometers out to a dive site and paying a captain to stay on boat.
I get the sense that the fees paid employ a lot of other park employees, which is fine. However, Dos Ojos SCUBA Dive shop and our dive master failed to give us the richest experience possible to us, and it wouldn't have cost them one additional peso. I might suggest if you go and you should, ask if you can dive both caves on one tank, or get of the main guide line to explore other safe and known parts of the cennote systems. It is an incomplete feeling for this diver to have come up with 1,800 and 1,600 PSI on two consecutive dives. Particularly when you are paying 40% more than you do for a boat dive off the Yucatan Peninsula. Dive Dos Ojos, for however short or long your dive operator and dive master allow you the experience.
Ia is all good, and little is worth stressing over in Mexico.

Visited March 2013
Fresno, California
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Favorite dive after 20 years of diving! I made contact with Luis, the owner, by email. He was very responsive with emails and we arrainged everything without the need of an international phone call. I should note that I made contact with Luis through www.divedosojos.com but he also has a new dive shop in Playa Del Carmen which is www.divecenotesmexico.com. We stayed in Cozumel so at the advice of Luis, we took the 8am ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen, ariving at about 8:45am. When we got off the ferry, our DM/Guide Juan Reynaud, was waiting for us with a sign with my name on it. He took us to the new dive shop, did the usual paperwork, and off we went. In looking around the shop, and talking to Juan, they do full cave diving instruction, but offer the guided cavern diving for non cave certified divers like ourselves. Juan drove us the Dos Ojos Cenote, which was about 45 min away. He used the drive to completely brief the dive site, dive plan, comunication, and expectations. It was a very thurough briefing. I can't say enough about Juan. He was a great guide and just a great guy, full of information and willing to answer questions about everything in the area, not just diving. The dive itself, I can't even begin to describe it. It was absoultely amazing! Two great dives in an incredible location, with a really great guide. One diver in our group was very apprehensive about diving in an overhead environment. But with the skill an professionalism of Juan, and the incredible sights, she loved it! Juan transported us back to catch the 4pm ferry back to Cozumel.

Visited April 2013