“Beautiful Cenote” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
$60*
and up
Viator Exclusive: Coba Ruins Early Access Tour with an Archaeologist and Cenote...
Ranked #4 of 21 things to do in Akumal
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: An underground cave with spectacular rock formations.
London
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Beautiful Cenote”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I just wanted the cenote visit, so I did the trip by myself without an organised tour. I took the Playa Express from Cancun then the collectivo to Tulum, 34MXN each. When I got to Aktun Chen, the man at the entrance called for a car to take me to the cenote, for free, as there are 4km through the forest. I paid around 300 MXN just for the cenote part of the park, which is much cheaper than the whole tour. The forest is beautiful, this was the season of blue butterflies, and you see lots of plants that are normally in a pot in the corner of an office. Apparently the staff pick and eat some of the jungle fruit. They don't do jungle walks for the public as they say it's dangerous.

The cenote was well organised, with lockers, clean environmental toilets, and life vest, as well as snorkeling equipment, shower and my own guide. I chose to visit this cenote because it's lit up inside, not dark as others, and it felt safer for me.

The guide was great, spoke both Spanish and English, and took me on a tour of the cenote. The water was cool but bearable. He showed me the rock formation, told me where to look underwater, which is breath-takingly beautiful as you see stalactites lit up, and took me to places where the sunlight hits the water from above and makes divine-looking rays you can swim through. You can see a couple of bats that eat fruit, and the fruit they drop underwater, roots and a bank of fish, but only in one place, as there aren't any other fish.

The best part is that at the end of the tour he left me to swim by myself in the cenote and there was nobody for 15 minutes, a moment of lovely solitude and quiet.

Visited January 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“cenote row,,,just above the cheapest cenotes..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

we really enjoyed the cenotes in the area just not this one...Not great snorkeling small cenotes with a good jungle view...better off going to nearby cenoted...(AZUL) was or favorite...

Visited January 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We traveled to Mexico for a wedding. We decided to take a zip line excursion. This was the perfect one! It was a lot for your dollar. Lots of fun and beautiful scenery!

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great EXPERIENCE!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

WOW! This was a wonderful excursion. So much fun packed into one place. We started out the day doing a wonderful zip line experience. The Zips were super fast and fun! Also no hiking required which was a plus for my boyfriend who hurt his foot. The staff who works the zip lines were also so great. Very funny and friendly.

Next we went snorkeling a Cenote. This was a wonderful different experience. We got some good pictures on account of a digital underwater camera which I highly recommend because it had a flash. Our tour guide took some great pics for us.

Then we went onto the Cave. It was very cool. Just a little too long and we were starving at this point so we were all ready to eat. We learned a lot of cool stuff but it could have been streamlined a bit.

Last we had some lunch, it was included in the trip. Nothing fancy but pretty decent food.

We really had a great time here. There were also really cute animals especially tons of Monkey's! We got to feed the friendly one Bananas!

*Note this was also quite far from Cancun. The transportation was a bit more streamlined and not as crazy as other trips.

Visited December 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“interesting and good tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

our tour guide was very informative and the formation was quite interesting. highly recommended. not cheap, but worth it one time.

Visited March 2012