“Waste of Money-- Stay away” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 Attractions in Akumal
Type: Bodies of Water, Reefs, Outdoors
Activities: Snorkeling, Group tours/day tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Although the brackish water in this lagoon makes visibility difficult, there are still lots of fish and underwater caverns to explore by snorkeling or diving.
Beach
“Waste of Money-- Stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

We snorkeled at Yal-Ku July 2009 and found it a complete waste of money! The water was really cloudy, the walkways were sharp and painful to walk on, and saw very few fish. It's far away from Akumal & the main highway. Avoid this and snorkel at the main Akumal Bay instead....

Evergreen, Colorado
15 attraction reviews
“Snorkeling a bit (but not much)off the beaten path”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

Located at the very end of Akumal Beach, is the lagoon of Yal-Ku. Cold spring water mixes with warm salt water to profide a refreshing snorkeling experience. The lagoon is protected, the water water crystal clear, with an interesting effect caused by the mixing of the salt & fresh water, and there are plenty of fish and things to see. The rock outcropping provides a place for bronze statues, and a place to warm up, if the water cools you off to much. The entrance fee is reasonable, as is the cost of renting snorkeling equipment, including life jackets for you or your kids if you are not strong swimmers. Also entrance is by wrist band, so you can go into Akumal for lunch, and come back and snorkel a bit more. Our whole family had fun, from the kids 6 and 11, to the adults.

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“A beautiful natural site!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

I visited Yal-Ku on the recommendations from TA, and couldn't be more pleased with the experience. My wife and I hired a private guide for a day to experience the Akumal area. I highly suggest combining a trip to Yal-Ku Lagoon with a shorter stops at Cenote Azul and Akumal Bay.

Yal-Ku Lagoon is a beautiful site. It wasn't very crowded, and the snorkeling was fantastic. We stayed there for about 2 hours, and went left into the lagoon (as opposed to going towards the ocean). As other reviewers have mentioned, the water is very calm and is a good place to start for inexperienced snorkelers. I would easily compare the lagoon and the snorkeling to Xel-Ha. We saw lots of fish, and the water was clear, except where other snorkelers had just been (when the fresh water mixes with the salt water, the clarity of water looks oily).

I second what others have mentioned about wearing a shirt. They do not allow sunscreen, even the biodegradable. I suggest "rash guard" shirts (typically used under a wet suit), as some have built in sun protection (it may be gimmick, but my wife is very fair skinned and burns easily, and she didn't burn once during a week under the hot summer sun).

Overall, I highly suggest visiting this site, especially in conjunction with other sites in the area. It would truly be a shame to miss on this beauty.

St. Louis, MO
5 attraction reviews
“It was great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

I loved Yal Ku lagoon. It wasn't very crowded, and we were able to see a lot. We were there about 2 hours. Plan to wear a shirt in the water! They don't allow sunscreen (not even the "eco-friendly" kind) so bring a shirt. I didn't have one to wear in the water and burnt my back. Also, we wasted a lot of time in the lagoon part, when there was lots more to see as we got closer to the ocean part. It is a lot clearer closer to the ocean. It may look oily at times, that is the fresh water and salt water mixing. I found it to be worse when someone else was swimming in front of me.

philadelphia
“Excellent cute little spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

We went to Yal Ku at the end of two days of snorkeling in the ocean, cenotes and at Xel Ha (see review on this board).

Overall, for us, you could argue that this was the best of the lot. The area is very compact, and if you stay toward the left (away from the ocean) you will see a ton of fish. Bigger fish are at the ocean side, allegedly, but we never went over there because we were tired and cold by that point.

This is a great spot for first time snorkelers because you are in a calm lagoon, there are plenty of fish, and rocks that you can stand on in an emergency (though the fish won't like it if you do).

. You probably don't need more than an hour for a good experience, but you could probably stay for two or more if you really like it.