“A Unique Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
“A Unique Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I love going to this beach on my day off. I have been there about a dozen times and I have seen turtles every time but once. I have also seen sting rays and many other fish while snorkeling. The beach restaurant has great snacks too!

Visited March 2013

• Polish first
Williams Lake, Canada
“Nice beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Good beach for swimming and snorkeling. Not much shade from the sun. There are some local shops with trinkets. And there are restaurants to eat at, or the corner store to buy a beer.

Visited February 2013
Montreal, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Sea Turtles a plenty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was a wonderful spot to visit and swim with the Sea Turtles. They were amazing to watch. the beach is clean and safe for your personnal effects while you are in the water. There are nice restaurants and merchants to buy souvenirs from.

Visited November 2012
Bern, Switzerland
6 attraction reviews
“Awesome beach, great underwater world but be aware.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

As one of the highlights I will think about snorkeling in Akumal. I have seen the big sea turtles chilling around in the shallow water only coming up for breathing. Several large rays and colorful fishes. The reef itself suffered from the masses of snorkeling people - a lot of dead and destroyed parts. But this was to expect.
The only real thing which made me feeling angry was the way we were treated by the local equipment rental offices. They haven't given us any stuff (mask or snorkel) without buying a guided trip for one hour. 50$.
Can't say anything negative about the guide or the trip but I like to discover and choose my way myself. As a licensed diver I think I can handle swimming in 1.70m deep water on my own. I understand they want to make money but this should be an optional offer not a forced. But yeah already forgot about it. Tip: bring your own or elsewhere rented equipment with you.

Highlands
“Turtle Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Easily accessible via local bus, hire your scuba gear from the beach shop, much cheaper than an organised trip.

Visited March 2013