“Excellent Beach bar, no snorkling” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$67*
and up
Turtles, Snorkeling and Cenotes Adventure in...
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Akumal
Activities: Snorkeling
San Mateo, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent Beach bar, no snorkling”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I'm sure everyone who wrote about seeing fishes and turtles were not lying, however, my husband and I didn't see any. I saw one tiny little sardine. I saw way more fish just looking into the water when we were at our resort's beach.

That being said, there's a wonderful restaurant at this beach with delicious ceviche.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
alma
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“We wanted to see turtles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We came here in hopes to snorkel and see turtles. We attempted this without a tour guide and never made it to a place out in the water where we could see the sea turtles.

We did manage to see a lot of fish though. Im not sure what kind they were, but it seemed to be only one species....some kind of shiny silvery fish with yellow stripes. The beach was beautiful, however. And, there was a little food place for lunch right there with a deck. I'm not sure what it was called, but the food was really good bar type, Mexican food. I ordered Flautas and they were fab. I would go again to spend a day here.

We happened to find a webcam posted on a tree there (facing the beach in front of the make shift real estate office), and we were able to call our adult kids and have them look online at us so we could write a message to them in the sand and wave to them...they got a huge kick out of that.

Visited February 2012
CHESTERMERE
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Swim with turtles and take the whole family for a great excursion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Took a 20 dollar cab ride with my husband, 4 and 6 year old kids. Walked in and was greeted by a local guide who said come watch a short video. It is free and explains the area. Worth watching. They said 20 per person for a guide to see the reefs and the area. I politely declined them as I wasn't paying 80 american dollars for a snorker tour. Within 5 minutes in the water we spotted are first turtle. Amazing! Some fish and later 2 more Turtles. 30 minutes later my kids were tired so we went to the beach. Husband continued snokerling and saw amazing fish, reefs and rays. Loved it. We brought towels and some snacks and stayed on the beach for a bit. We rented fins. I think they were 5 bucks a pair or something reasonable. Fabulous excursion!

Cleveland
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I took a taxi, put on our snorkel gear and spent over an hour swimming with some beautiful sea turtles. The water wasn't too choppy. At times there were too many people but there really were plant of turtles to go around.

Visited June 2012
Indianapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great sand, beautiful water! Awesome weather, very close to reef and lots of turtles and fish! Not much night life, great restaurants!