“The Diving Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 21 Activities in Akumal
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The Original Akumal Dive Shop is a 5 Star PADI IDC center. The first dive shop on Mexico's Caribbean mainland. With over 30 years experience we offer the best from accommodation, tours, snorkeling and recreational diving to advanced levels of instructor training in Akumal Riviera Maya Mexico.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Calgary, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“The Diving Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I had booked my dives with Akumal Dive Shop (ADS) in August 2013 and I/we (my wife and me) were spending the Christmas/New Years holidays in Akumal. I had not been diving for several years and a refresher course was in order. On the morning of 23 December Jesus was the dive instructor/master. We spent about 2 hours in the classroom with five (5) others who were also taking the refresher course. The classroom instruction with Jesus was excellent. His instruction methodology and classroom manner were superior. After the refresher it was off to the ocean in front of ADS to review the elementary dive skills. Again, Jesus was over seeing the group and monitored each participant. A very patient and effective instructor. After this everything had come back and I was set for the open ocean again. With boat captain Marcos at the helm, Jesus as dive master we went out about 1-2 kms to Las Redes (The Net) dive site. With Jesus leading the group we explored the reef formations and saw an abundance of sea life at 30-35 feet deep. Next day with boat captain "grouper" Jose and dive master Moses we went to the Chino dive site. The dive was good and we went down to about 50 feet, albeit it was an up and down dive. The sea life that day were mostly hiding on us, however, rising and descending over the reef formations into the channels was fun. On the 26 December it was time for some cenote diving. With dive master Rally and two other divers, Rally took us to Dos Ojos cenote. This was an out of world experience. Cenote diving is in fresh water and Rally took us on an unforgettable experience. With Rally as our guide and lanterns in hand we followed the river channels underground and they I might add were pitch black save for the light from our lanterns as we were weaving between stalagmites and stalactites, rising and descending over the formations. While this is not a deep dive, at times were were near the surface and others about 20-25 feet down This was a two tank dive, so after about 50 minutes in the one channel, we changed tanks and Rally took us to another channel which led to the Bat Cave which was an ohh-ahh unbelievable experience. As you come up into the cave from the channel below you look up and overhead into the cavern. Your voices echo in the cave and as was explained this dive is similar to cave diving. Overall an out of this world experience. NOTE: You can rent your diving gear from ADS, albeit I had my equipment save for the tanks, octopus and regulator, and BFD. Also, this is a busy dive shop, and it may have been the time of year, but there were many divers suiting up in the shop and hovering in the main entrance, yet everything appeared to be somewhat orderly. You also get a locker to store your clothes in and/or other items while you are diving. The ladies on the front desk include Isela y Francesca who keep a file on all the divers so you can check you accumulated bill at any time. Very efficient and friendly ladies. They will also help you with your Spanish if you are so inclined. Total bill for the refresher course, four (4) dives with tanks was 3576 pesos which included admission to the Dos Ojos park. Well worth the experience. NOTE: The costs I quoted did not include la propina (tips) for the boat captains and dive masters which were approximately 200 pesos each.

Visited December 2013
akumalCom, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Akumal Dive Shop, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Hola Ootskapiinii!
We are so glad you took the refresher course. Many people think is not necessary even after not diving for so long. It definitely makes everything come back and thus have a great diving experience afterwards, which you clearly had! We are so happy that you enjoyed every dive you made with us in the sea and in the cenote (something you can cross out from you bucket list now)!
Thank you and we really hope you keep diving and that you visit us again soon!

Nova Scotia
19 attraction reviews
“Excellent snorkel tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

This was our first time in Akumal. We walked in and asked for a snorkel tour as we were not familiar with the Bay. We had our own masks and snorkels but rented fins from them, they also supplied a locker for all our stuff. Everyone else was interested in diving but they were able to provide us with a guide so we wound up having a private tour. Miguel was awesome! How he could spot a turtle so far away I have no idea. We saw lots of turtles as well as rays and assorted fish. We really enjoyed the experience mostly due to Miguel's experience and personality. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting him. Next time we are in Akumal we would definitely use them again.

Hola Frenchenglish!
I guess our guides are developing fish eyes after doing the tours everyday! Miguel has a great sight indeed but he also knows very well where the turtles hang around, maybe he smells them too ;)
We are very glad you enjoyed Akumal Bay, it was an honour for us to be able to show it to you. And we really hope you come back to this incredible paradise. Im sure Miguel will love to take you out again!
See you soon!
Liverpool
5 attraction reviews
“Third Year in Akumal Diving with the Akumal Dive Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Just returned from a trip to Akumal and again dived with the Akumal Dive Shop. The experience was as fantastic as ever with great front of house, dive and management staff, who all work extremely hard to ensure that a great diving experience is had by all. They are serious about safety but still make certain that there is an element of fun about everything they do. No matter how enjoyable your job is, it is still a job but the staff always have a warm welcome, retain a sense of humour and will try to accommodate everybody's dive ambitions. It is impossible to thank everyone there in this format and, in fact, it would be difficult to single any one person out. Prices are more than fair for both training (I thoroughly enjoyed having a professional show me what I should be doing to get decent underwater photographs) and diving Back in the grey of the UK, I can only say; see you again next year guys.

Hola Michael!
We are flattered! Thank you indeed for the many thanks to each of us! I talk on behalf of all and let me tell you that for us it is a great honor to have you here every year and we will expecting you next year for sure!
Good luck with the underwater photoshoots!
See you next year! Thank you!
Milton, Georgia
“Great staff and facilites!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I had a great time at the Akumal Dive Shop. I spent a week diving with them the first week of February 2014. My wife and I were there with friends that had been diving with the Akumal Dive Shop for ten years or more. The shop provided a locker for my gear so I did not have to drag it back and forth from my condo. Three dives per day are available at 9:30, 11:30 and 2:30. The great thing is the dive sites are just outside the bay and the dive boat comes back to the dive shop in-between dives so you can grab another tank, have a snack/lunch, and see your non-diving friends on the beach. Also, there are several great restaurants (Turtle Bay was my favorite) within walking distance of the shop - and they don't mind if you eat in your wetsuit!

My divemasters were Condor and Chulo and my boat captains were Chino and Raul. These guys were great. They are very personable and really know the dive sites and conditions. They took us where we could observe turtles, baracuda, lobster, rays, moray eels, and lots of reef fish and corals. The staff inside the shop were also very helpful and friendly. At the end of the week I was very pleasantly surprised by how reasonable the total price was.

I highly recommend this staff and dive shop.

Hola Chip!
We loved it that you felt so comfortable and happy diving with us... and happier with the price too ;) We keep diving accesible to everybody so that no body misses on the great fun it is! We are very greatful for you kind comments and we hope you definitely come diving with us again in the near future!
Thank you very much!
Toronto
4 attraction reviews
“Very good shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

This is a very professional establishment which follows a very high standard - essential when diving. All the dive instructors are good but I can recommend Luis and Jesus. The receptionist Isela is very welcoming and is very knowledgable. Prices are very reasonable for the standard you receive.

Visited February 2014
akumalCom, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Akumal Dive Shop, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Hola Billybob!
Thank you for your review! We feel very proud as we try really hard to be as professional as possible! We are happy we did not disappoint you! Thank you too for recommending us and we hope we see you back in the water with us really soon!