“Friendly staff and nice easy diving” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 21 Activities in Akumal
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The Original Akumal Dive Shop is a 5 Star PADI IDC center. The first dive shop on Mexico's Caribbean mainland. With over 30 years experience we offer the best from accommodation, tours, snorkeling and recreational diving to advanced levels of instructor training in Akumal Riviera Maya Mexico.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Vancouver, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Friendly staff and nice easy diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We went there to dive about 2 years ago, after that we flew back 3 more times within a year to go diving. Saul Castillo is a great dive instructor who got 5 of our friends certified. He also took me cave diving for the first time. If you want to go for the first time ask for Saul.

Visited November 2012
theakumaldiveshop, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Akumal Dive Shop, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Hola Darrenlikes2travel!
We are so glad you came back to beautiful Akumal after the first time you visited us, and that Saúl impressed you! He is a really experienced and fun instructor! We are sure we will be seeing you here again and we will do our best to keep making you feel at home!
Thank you for keep visiting beautiful Akumal and diving with us!

Paris, France
“Thanks from Pancho”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

In Akumal dive shop every one will have great time, from people who dive to others who prefers fishing or snorkeling.
Team is very cool, helpful, people who come for first dive will have great time ! Really amazing above and beyond water.

Many thanks to Gonzalo & Ingrid.
Pancho de Francia

Visited May 2013
theakumaldiveshop, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Akumal Dive Shop, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Hola Pancho de Francia!
Thank you very much for recommending us! Diving is our passion and teaching how to dive is such a pleasure, especially when we have first timers, we love to see their face of amazement when they take their first breath underwater! Come back for more diving Pancho!!!
San Antonio, Texas
“Truly AMAZING !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I adore these people!!! From start to finish, they went above and beyond. I originally spoke to Helmie prior to our trip and he was very helpful and pointed me in the right direction for everything I needed to know. He took the time out to always answer all my questions. Because of him, I made sure we went to their dive shop when visiting Akumal, regardless of all the other solicitors along the way. I had originally thought the $15 for gear was sufficient enough for us & that we could go explore the reefs on our own, but once we got there, we decided to do the hour tour for an extra $10. Completely worth it! Trust me. They took us further out into the reef and safety really was their first priority. At first, I was having trouble properly wearing my gear and Adiel(Sorry if I spelled it incorrectly) and Israel were extremely patient with me and helpful. Israel came along b/c he heard about our underwater camera getting stolen from our hotel & offered to take an hour worth of photos for $30. Prior to that, we almost bought two point and shoot cameras which would've cost more than that, AND we got photos together which we wouldn't have had otherwise. We had just gotten engaged the night before so having some photos together mean't so much to me, along with photos in such a beautiful place w/magnificent sea creatures... Made my day beyond belief. Israel was such a funny & nice guy. Adiel was spot on to find us turtles, sting rays, and anything else he could in our hour timeframe. He was a great guide and very helpful! He was also very cautious that everyone respect the marine life which I appreciated. (Please make sure to not touch the turtles or mess with the reefs) Snorkeling in the reef was a very peaceful experience despite me being a bit timid and scared. As we went along, I felt better & better. We really had a fantastic time. Thank you guys truly (Helmie, Adiel, and Israel). I have even considered getting married in the area & bringing all our guests along to enjoy the amazing experience we had. Also for those wondering..I had asked Adiel if there were baracudas and he told me there's one specific one that usually hangs out underneath a boat, but that the boat wasn't there today. While we were snorkeling by ourselves later on in the day, another guide mentioned there was a baracuda if we wanted to see.. I was being a scaredy cat, but decided to go as everyone else was and figured I'd really be the unlucky one if something happened. Sure enough he was hanging out under the boat just as Adiel had mentioned earlier. After watching the baracuda for a few minutes, I started to feel uneasy so I turned around to swim back toward shore and right when I went to do so, a giant fish with extremely long teeth opened his mouth right in my face. I about had a heart attack. It's funny looking back now that I'm in the clear, but at the time not so much!!! Not sure what fish that was, but to us it was scarier than the baracuda. The guide out in the water said it might've been a red snapper. Next time I think I will try just hanging out with the turtles :).

Hola Lily337!
Ha! What an adventure you had snorkelling! That fish you saw at the end might have been a grouper. There are a few of them in the bay too and same as the barracuda, they like to hang around under the boats... but they are indeed very big, fat and with pointy teeth! Harmless to humans though, so you don't have to worry about them next time you come over! Sounds like you really had a great time, and we are honored that you had fun with us and felt safe! We hope to see you soon in Akumal and that you bring all your friends and family over if you do decide to get married here (and by the way, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!).
Minneapolis
10 attraction reviews
“Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Let's set the total picture first. We are just average Joe's from Minneapolis on vacation in Playa del Carmen and we were able to get here using local transportation (bus) and found the dive shop easily on our own. No need to hire an expensive taxi, take the bus for $3 per person and walk 10 minutes from the bus station to the shop. If we can do it, anyone can.
We checked in right away upon arrival, about 20 minutes early. The person behind the counter (Francesca) was extremely helpful. Explaining that the captain told her the water was choppy and he is out assessing now before taking us out. She set us up with the necessary paperwork, locker and guided us to the equipment window where a young man helped us with equipment, fins, mask, life jacket, etc. I cannot remember his name but he was helpful and efficient.
While we were waiting for our captain, we were approached by a man who offered to take pictures of our dive. At first I was skeptical but then realized he worked at the dive shop and said yes, that would be great. I have a cheap underwater camera but if you have the opportunity to have a professional do it for $35 it is worth it. The photographer's name is Israel and I am so happy we had him with us.
We were approached by our captain and forgive me if I spell the name incorrectly, Zipiri, shook our hands and said the water was good to go. The captain was very quiet at first so we spent most of the ride talking to Israel, the photographer. He explained all kinds of information about the area along the way. When we reached the lagoon, we followed Israel to a point where fresh water from the cenotes reaches the salt water of the ocean, very pretty and calm area.
Then back to the boat and ride back to Akumal Bay where the captain guided us through the bay, sea turtles (every where), small squids, tons of colorful fish and even a sting ray. Amazing experience, I highly recommend this dive shop and the photography services. The photographs are put on a CD in just a few minutes (done while you shower and change clothes) and presented on a DVD. The DVD is guaranteed for a year so if you have trouble with it, they will replace it.
We ate lunch in town then took the bus back to Playa Del Carmen. At great experience!

Hola RebeccaMinneapolis!
It is very helpful that you tell others how they can get to Akumal by bus and especially emphasizing that it is easy and not expensive! And well, for us you are not average Joe's so that is why we strive to give you the best service we can offer! And that includes the experience itself and taking home good memories! So we are very glad you got to know us and that you felt welcomed! Come back any time, this is your home too!
Creighton Saskatchewan Canada
9 attraction reviews
“Edgar is Super!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We rented a locker and lock for 60 pesos. Brought our own snorkel vests. Snorkelled for over an hour, saw 5 turtles, including a baby.
Loved being able to shower off before heading to Tequilaville for Coconut Shrimp and Cervacas.
Will definitely be back again next year!

Visited April 2013
Hola Bat-S-Crazy59!
So cute you saw a baby turtle!!! That's not such a usual thing to see! you were very lucky!
And well, we do know it is a problem to find in Akumal where to rinse the saltwater once you are done snorkeling and that's why we have the showers free of charge! I can imagine you were able to enjoy those shrimps the way you deserved! We will be expecting you next year!