This place actually inspired me to write my first review (after using TripAdvisor for about a decade!). I sincerely hope the management reads all of the reviews because I am going to mention a few of the superstar staff and I hope they get recognized!
The Sian Kaan is the 5 Star, adults only part of the Bahia Principe Complex (Akumal, Tulum, Coba). It is on the golf course, and across the highway from the other 3 resorts. I traveled with my sister (38 and 41) Dec 8-15, and although it was primarily couples, we had a fantastic time. We were able to use all the other restaurants, bars, and pools of the other resorts, but each time we did, we kept realizing that The Sian Kaan definitely has the best service, staff, and amenities.
We stayed in a standard junior suite (right across from the pool bar - perfect) and it was very nice. A mini fridge, pullout love seat, tv, good size bathroom, and large patio (if you are on the main floor)
The beach is about a 5 minute shuttle ride away (or I think I heard a 20 minute walk? but who walks on holiday...) and the shuttles pick you up at the lobby every few minutes - we never waited very long. The Sian Kaan has an exclusive part of the beach where there are palapas, new lounge chairs (nice black mesh type ones that fully recline as opposed to the white plastic ones that don't go all the way back and the back pops up when you sit down), beach drink service, and an exclusive beach bar only for Sian Kaan. It also seemed to be on one of the nicest parts of the beach. The water itself was beautiful, clear, sandy bottom, and pretty wavy (fun to play in!). And again, no kids on that part of the beach. People do tend to try to reserve their seats on the beach (even though there are signs saying you shouldn't, but we really didn't have a problem getting a spot. One day when there weren't any chairs, we just plopped down right on the sand and 10 minutes later, one of the staff brought over loungers without us even asking!
First of all, the buffet is great - and I loved the breakfasts, a huge array of everything, a Mexican corner, omelette station, cereal, fruit, bagels, pastries, meats, cheeses, fresh juices, coffee service, mimosas, and bloody Mary's. I have to do a shout out to Ramon, who made sure we were stocked on coffee, water, and mimosas for every breakfast!
Being sushi lovers, we were excited to try the Sushi Bar and Japanese A la Carte. While not terrible, in retrospect, expecting good sushi at a Mexican resort does seem a little far fetched. Ah well...Maiko was beautiful though!
My favorite a la carte restaurant was "Tequila", the Mexican one (go figure) in Tulum, great food and an awesome little Mariachi Band that comes to each table. Very fun!
Alux (Gourmet) was also beautiful and delicious.
Great pools for different things, one for sports, set up with a basketball hoop and polo nets, one wading pool, and one bigger swimming pool. Usually had drink service and friendly Nicolas was our server most of the time - bringing drinks and/or fun snacks like fruit skewers. Or you could just wonder over to the snack bar that overlooked the pool. Of course, we spent most of the time visiting the pool bar because of the fabulous...
Forget Margaritas - our Favourite Bartender, Angel (Angelito!) introduced us to two new drinks 1. the Iceberg - Beer topped with Margarita. (word of warning: it seems like Angel may be the only bartender who has perfected this drink. We went to quite a few different bars when Angel wasn't at our pool bar one day and could not find anyone who did it remotely close to our Angelito. He pours it in a tall glass, and the frozen margarita should be thick enough to sit on top of the beer, so that it filters through the margarita part as you drink it, not all mixed together. AND, it should be about 3 parts beer, 1 part margarita.) I miss it already!
2. Ojo Rojo - now we thought Clamato was Canadian but the Mexicans do a "Red Eye" better than anyone. It is a beer with Clamato (maybe 3 parts beer and 1 part clam, lots of lime juice, and the same spices you would put in your Ceasar, with a coarse salt rim) No more plain beer and clam for this Chiquita!
Angel and Nicolas made the Sian Kaan Pool bar our favorite place to hang out!!
Another fave that we would have in the lobby was the Cafe Mexicano - coffee, kalhua, tequila, and a cinnamon sugar rim. Usually they did a cool flaming coffee service, too.
Each night there was entertainment in the lobby, and it was great, we danced almost every night! The animacion team was awesome - especially Kristi (Christina on her name tag)! We played bingo every day at 3 and had spanish lessons - she also did bike tours some days. Kristi also worked at night in the lobby encouraging fun and participation during the entertainment (long hours - but always a smile on her face!)
At 11:00 when the entertainment ended, everything kind of shut down, you could take the shuttle to the night club, but we only ventured there one night. After staring with Mimosas at 8 am, 11 was usually a good time to call it a night. But if you want party central -- this is not the place for you.
Golf: We only did the 9 hole par three, but it was too hot for us and the beer cart was nowhere to be found for the first 5 holes. Its a nice course but they really shouldn't say it is included since it cost us $160 for a cart, rentals, and balls...
Overall - would totally recommend this resort for couples, groups of friends who want to get away and relax. Not great for singles at the SIan Kaan but judging by the swim up bars at the other resorts, you can always try them out. :)
Most of all, though the people there made it the best vacation - Gracias Angel, Kristi, Nicolas, and Ramon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 4 outdoor pools (1 with Jacuzzi) Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Transfer to the beach and other facilities on the complex (at set times) Water activity centre, Beach Club with exclusive bar (at the Grand Principe Tulum) Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) 1 international buffet restaurant 2 speciality restaurants 4 Bars 1 snack-bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 420 rooms including 4 types: Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite, Deluxe Garden Junior Suite, Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suite. Deluxe Garden Junior Suites and Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suites are larger than the Junior Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Sitting area with sofa-bed and armchairs Balcony or terrace Bathroom with shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe Iron and ironing board 24 hour room service Butler service in rooms Private Jacuzzi Wifi Pillow menu Aroma menu Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings and anniversaries, as well as corporate incentive trips and conventions Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Resort And Spa
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Hotel Akumal
- Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'An Don Pablo Collection Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico