“Sian Kaan! Sian Kaan!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Winter up to 50% off
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jasper
“Sian Kaan! Sian Kaan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This place actually inspired me to write my first review (after using TripAdvisor for about a decade!). I sincerely hope the management reads all of the reviews because I am going to mention a few of the superstar staff and I hope they get recognized!

The Sian Kaan is the 5 Star, adults only part of the Bahia Principe Complex (Akumal, Tulum, Coba). It is on the golf course, and across the highway from the other 3 resorts. I traveled with my sister (38 and 41) Dec 8-15, and although it was primarily couples, we had a fantastic time. We were able to use all the other restaurants, bars, and pools of the other resorts, but each time we did, we kept realizing that The Sian Kaan definitely has the best service, staff, and amenities.

Rooms:
We stayed in a standard junior suite (right across from the pool bar - perfect) and it was very nice. A mini fridge, pullout love seat, tv, good size bathroom, and large patio (if you are on the main floor)

Beach:
The beach is about a 5 minute shuttle ride away (or I think I heard a 20 minute walk? but who walks on holiday...) and the shuttles pick you up at the lobby every few minutes - we never waited very long. The Sian Kaan has an exclusive part of the beach where there are palapas, new lounge chairs (nice black mesh type ones that fully recline as opposed to the white plastic ones that don't go all the way back and the back pops up when you sit down), beach drink service, and an exclusive beach bar only for Sian Kaan. It also seemed to be on one of the nicest parts of the beach. The water itself was beautiful, clear, sandy bottom, and pretty wavy (fun to play in!). And again, no kids on that part of the beach. People do tend to try to reserve their seats on the beach (even though there are signs saying you shouldn't, but we really didn't have a problem getting a spot. One day when there weren't any chairs, we just plopped down right on the sand and 10 minutes later, one of the staff brought over loungers without us even asking!

Food:
First of all, the buffet is great - and I loved the breakfasts, a huge array of everything, a Mexican corner, omelette station, cereal, fruit, bagels, pastries, meats, cheeses, fresh juices, coffee service, mimosas, and bloody Mary's. I have to do a shout out to Ramon, who made sure we were stocked on coffee, water, and mimosas for every breakfast!
Being sushi lovers, we were excited to try the Sushi Bar and Japanese A la Carte. While not terrible, in retrospect, expecting good sushi at a Mexican resort does seem a little far fetched. Ah well...Maiko was beautiful though!
My favorite a la carte restaurant was "Tequila", the Mexican one (go figure) in Tulum, great food and an awesome little Mariachi Band that comes to each table. Very fun!
Alux (Gourmet) was also beautiful and delicious.

Pools:
Great pools for different things, one for sports, set up with a basketball hoop and polo nets, one wading pool, and one bigger swimming pool. Usually had drink service and friendly Nicolas was our server most of the time - bringing drinks and/or fun snacks like fruit skewers. Or you could just wonder over to the snack bar that overlooked the pool. Of course, we spent most of the time visiting the pool bar because of the fabulous...

Drinks!:
Forget Margaritas - our Favourite Bartender, Angel (Angelito!) introduced us to two new drinks 1. the Iceberg - Beer topped with Margarita. (word of warning: it seems like Angel may be the only bartender who has perfected this drink. We went to quite a few different bars when Angel wasn't at our pool bar one day and could not find anyone who did it remotely close to our Angelito. He pours it in a tall glass, and the frozen margarita should be thick enough to sit on top of the beer, so that it filters through the margarita part as you drink it, not all mixed together. AND, it should be about 3 parts beer, 1 part margarita.) I miss it already!
2. Ojo Rojo - now we thought Clamato was Canadian but the Mexicans do a "Red Eye" better than anyone. It is a beer with Clamato (maybe 3 parts beer and 1 part clam, lots of lime juice, and the same spices you would put in your Ceasar, with a coarse salt rim) No more plain beer and clam for this Chiquita!
Angel and Nicolas made the Sian Kaan Pool bar our favorite place to hang out!!
Another fave that we would have in the lobby was the Cafe Mexicano - coffee, kalhua, tequila, and a cinnamon sugar rim. Usually they did a cool flaming coffee service, too.

Activities:
Each night there was entertainment in the lobby, and it was great, we danced almost every night! The animacion team was awesome - especially Kristi (Christina on her name tag)! We played bingo every day at 3 and had spanish lessons - she also did bike tours some days. Kristi also worked at night in the lobby encouraging fun and participation during the entertainment (long hours - but always a smile on her face!)
At 11:00 when the entertainment ended, everything kind of shut down, you could take the shuttle to the night club, but we only ventured there one night. After staring with Mimosas at 8 am, 11 was usually a good time to call it a night. But if you want party central -- this is not the place for you.
Golf: We only did the 9 hole par three, but it was too hot for us and the beer cart was nowhere to be found for the first 5 holes. Its a nice course but they really shouldn't say it is included since it cost us $160 for a cart, rentals, and balls...

Overall - would totally recommend this resort for couples, groups of friends who want to get away and relax. Not great for singles at the SIan Kaan but judging by the swim up bars at the other resorts, you can always try them out. :)

Most of all, though the people there made it the best vacation - Gracias Angel, Kristi, Nicolas, and Ramon!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Jasper,

On behalf of the entire Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an team I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so happy to hear that our hotel inspired you to write your first review. It is amazing for us to read that you enjoyed the food, pools, drinks and tha activities.

Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff, they work really hard to make your stay enjoyable. We really appreciate your comment about Angel, Kristi, Nicolas, and Ramon, they are great ambassadors of the service in the Sian Ka’an Hotel and your nice words are a great motivation to keep them up with the professionalism and service. We will immediately forward your post to the correspondent managers for their well-deserved recognition

We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Riviera Maya!

Receive our warm regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Don Pablo Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,017)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Georgetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Had an amazing time at this beautiful hotel, the atmosphere, the service and the food were out of this world. Would definately recommend this hotel and would return in a heartbeat.
The restaurants were fabulous, the wonderful staff, especially the privlege concierge who went above and beyond our expectations to make our stay perfect.
Special thanks to Vanina who helped organize our outings and made sure we were happy with our room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PrivilegeClub, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor User,

On behalf of Bahia Principe Privilege Club we want to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an. We are more than thrilled to learn that you had an amazing time at the resort and that your expectations were met and exceeded by the Privilege Concierge team. It is heartening to learn that Vanina was part of such a memorable stay and we'll be sure to share with her your kind words.

We truly hope to welcome you once more and that in the future your Bahia Principe Privilege Club membership continues to provide you with wonderful vacations.

Best regards,

Stephany Tavarez
Customer Service
Bahia Principe Privilege Club
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at the Sian Kaan from december 26th to January 2nd. Excellent stay.
The food was great; Maiko was the best a la carte restaurant we went to ... Make sure to reserve the a la carte restaurants by email before you arrive, if not you will be stuck with reservations at 9h30-10h00. We had breakfast and lunch at tulum we were at the beach and the service was of lower quality than at the Sian Kaan.
Rooms were very clean, however we were very disappointed by the fact that there was no hot water for two nights in a row. Make sure to email your room requests before arriving. We were glad that our requests had been satisfied when we arrived, we got two rooms in the same unit close to the lobby and clubhouse.
We are golfers so the fact that the resort is not situated on the beach was not an issue for us. The golf was magnificient, very challenging course.. Make sure to bring extra golf balls! We reserved our golf tee times before arriving also by email. On the negative side, the game was slow at a few occassions, the pace would probably be greatly improved with the use of a marchall.
The reserved beach section for Sian Kaan was nice but not big enough for the number of guests staying at the resort, particularly in busy periods like Christmas holidays. Guests who got to the beach past 9am would not be able to get palapas.
Overall excellent stay!

Room Tip: We stayed at units 43611 and 43621, close to the lobby and 2 minute walk from the clubhouse. Perfect...
Dear Melissa.

Thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an to enjoy your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to send your comments about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the food, your room location, that you mention that the Maiko restaurant is the best a la carte restaurant and that you enjoyed the golf course.

We are sorry to learn about your disappointment; unfortunately we had a problem with the equipment that provides hot water to the hotel rooms. We are certainly not making excuses, but with the unexpected situation, we resolved it in as timely a manner as physically possible.

We hope we can welcome you again in the near future at the Riviera Maya.

Kindest Regards,

Pickerington, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My wife and I traveled with our two college children and two of their friends the week before Christmas. We used Delta Vacations for our booking. We could not believe the deal we received for such a nice vacation. Less than $1,000 per person – Really a steal!!!!
First, we traveled from Ohio and the weather was bad and as a result our flight to ATL was delayed for de-icing. We missed our connecting flight to Cancun. Delta already had alternate flight arrangements for us when we arrived in ATL. We arrived in Cancun 5 hours later but we did arrive on our scheduled date. One good thing about being late – we had private transportation to the hotel vs shared transportation.
Check-in
When we arrived, our check-in went very quickly. They brought us each a margarita. We requested our three rooms be close to each other. They were in three different villas but relatively close. We each got the Jr. Suites; which were not anything too fancy but met our needs. The room was equipped with the stocked fridge as described by other guests. Our room was missing an umbrella and patio chairs. I immediately requested both items at the front desk. After requesting the items over and over, I finally received the umbrella on the third day. (It was raining and we had dinner reservations at one of the other resorts across the bridge. I thought we better get an umbrella or my wife would get soaked. I decided to go to the lobby to request an umbrella again in person after being promised one three times over the phone. I thought the rain had let up enough to get one. After walking halfway to the lobby it poured down rain. When I arrived to the lobby I was soaked. One of the workers asked why I didn’t use my umbrella. When he found out that our room did not have one and that I had requested one several times, he gave me a tee shirt for my trouble. No umbrella but a tee shirt. I was told that an umbrella would be sent to our room within 15 minutes. One hour later – no umbrella. The front desk said they would have someone come pick us up to bring us to the lobby and they would give us an umbrella to go to dinner. An umbrella was waiting for us at the front desk when we arrived. Of course it did not rain anymore after that night!) We finally got chairs for the patio the day before we left. I happened to come up to the room when it was being cleaned. The gentleman asked – you don’t want to sit on your patio? I said yes but I got tired of requesting chairs. He said I will get you chairs. Within 5 minutes we had chairs. A half hour later we had two better chairs.
Beach
The Private area for Sian Ka’an’s guests was nice but way too crowded and not enough chairs. Our first day there someone took our chairs when we went to breakfast threw our stuff on the ground. When we tried to claim our chairs the lady just screamed at us in some language I did not understand. We just left. As others have mentioned bring beach shoes if you go in the water.
Golf Course
I have played some of the best golf courses in the US. (Pebble Beach, Inverness, Muirfiled, TPC Sawgrass, TPC MB, Caledonia, etc….) This golf course truly has features that rival the ones listed. It was absolutely amazing. The cart service was very good on the course. We typically would see them at least twice every nine holes. Both times we golfed, we ordered sandwiches from the clubhouse and they brought them out to us on the course. If you stay at Sian Ka’an the food is free from the clubhouse. My son plays golf in college and jokingly asked what the course record was? They said it was 76. The course was tough but not tough enough that the course record was 76. If so, my son now has the new course record!

First, Lizeth set-up reservations in advance for us – Thank you. Our requests were all met. We ate at the following al the carte restaurants:
- Alux
- Don Pablo
- Tequila
- Le Gourmet
- Maiko (our kids were MIA due to a trip to the swim-up bar at one the other hotels)
- Frutus Del Mar
The service at Alux, Don Pablo, Maiko and Le Gourmet was outstanding. The food at all of them was good to very good. I wouldn’t say any of them left me saying this is the best I have ever had. Most were too fancy for my kids and their friends. They just ended up going to the buffet later. We also found the buffet and the Cenote Snack Bar was to our liking. Quite simply, if you could not find something you liked, you have a problem. They had some very good quality food! I usually have red meat when I go out but I only had red meat a few times. The fish was outstanding. Especially the fresh grilled Grouper on the buffet.
General
The tram service was as described by many others. There were usually no long waits and the rides were tolerable. If this hotel was right on the beach it would be better. The other hotels were very crowded and very noisy. I much rather be at the Sian Ka’an and trade being right on the beach. The Hacienda with the shops and the bars was nice. We went to Akumal Beach to snorkel. We all enjoyed it. We got private transportation because my wife refused to get use the public transportation. So it cost us $70 round trip for 6. That is still reasonable since the driver waited there for us.
Overall
Yes we had a couple of issues, and the room was a little more basic that I was hoping; however, I still rated the experience 5 stars. I don’t know how many times we said I don’t know how this place makes any money. Top shelf liquor and quality food for a very reasonable price. One way they can afford this is the cheap labor, so please tip well. They deserve it. They all work long and hard! We have been to Aruba, Jamaica, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Puerto Vallarta at all inclusive resorts and also have been to Hawaii and Alaska. This was not our favorite overall vacation but for dollar for dollar it was!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Timothy,

Thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an to spend your family vacation, we really appreciate your detailed review about your stay with us.

For all our team, specially for me it was an honor to welcome you and to assist you prior your arrival. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel facilities, the a la carte restaurants and the golf course.

We are sorry to read that you have some problems with umbrella and patio chairs. Rest assure that we have sent your comments to the deparments involved in order to avoid this situations will happen again.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Warm Regards,

London, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed at the Sian Ka'an from December 19 to Jan 1 this year and we cannot rave enough about this resort . From the decor , the staff , the golf , the beach , the food and the rooms everything was excellent . It is an adult only hotel and it catered to this by having premium alcohol , adult activities , quiet beach and pool areas and walking distance to the golf course . One of the best places we have stayed and we have been to many , many hotels in Mexico and the Carribean . Just wonderful .

Room Tip: Try the suites with the hot tub on the third floor . Beautiful and very private .
Dear Cassandra,

For us it is a great honor to read that Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an is one of the best places you have stayed at the Mexican Caribbean.

We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay with us. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality of our hotel.

It is for guests like you who send us some nice words after their holiday, that our staff finds every day the motivation and energy to keep on the good work.

It will be great to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon,

Kindest Regards,

Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Extra clean, large rooms in small units scattered in a beautiful garden in the tropical jungle off the coast of Caribbean Sea, peppered with nice pools, friendly restaurants, great amenities and run by friendly, knowledgeable people who made our vacation be remembered.

Dear Daniil,

We are glad to read that you had a surprisingly esquisit beach experience at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an, thank you so much for choosing us for your vacation.

It is a pleasure to read that you appreciate your room, the food selection, the pools and the friendly and knowledgeable staff. Your feedback will be shared with our team and will definitely encourage us to continually provide all our guests with the best experience they truly deserve.

Thank you for recommending our hotel; we would be happy to welcome you again in a near future.

Best regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I had an excellent stay at Sian Kaan and can't wait to go back in the future. We don't have children yet...so were looking for an adults-only resort. Sian Kaan was the best of both worlds. We were around adults when we wanted to be...and during the day we could visit any other Principe resort and see families enjoying vacation.

Customer service was professional and they were very quick to meet our needs. We asked for more towels..and they were at our door within minutes. We asked the cleaning lady for more sodas...she stocked our fridge the next day.

The private beach with waitress service was my favorite part of choosing Sian Kaan over the other hotels. You really can't beat the beach location or the service.

The buffet was delicious and varied daily. I was eager to try the sit-down restaurants but really wasn't blown away by any of them. I will say, however, that we live in a major city and would consider ourselves "foodies." The Japanese restaurant, Maiko, was our favorite of the 5 sit-downs we went to.

The shuttle comes around often and we actually enjoyed our ride to the beach or other Bahia Principe resorts. We checked out 2 shows at night at other hotels..and thought they were cheesy. But, Sian Kaan had music (and dancing) at night---which was more enjoyable for us.

There were many daily actives to choose from. While on the beach you could get involved in games or choose to pass. We played a few and had a good time. Met people from all over the world while doing so! I liked having that option. One day it rained non-stop. The staff at Sian Kaan kept everyone very busy in the lobby. We played Spanish bingo and trivia. They also kept the drinks coming...certainly made the afternoon more enjoyable :)

Overall I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone. Akumal was beautiful and the hotel provided everything we were looking for in a beach vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Marla,

First of all thank you for trusting Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and for choosing us to enjoy your holidays at the Mayan Riviera.

We appreciate so much that you have taken the time to write your positive commentsconcerning your recent stay at our hotel facilities. Our guest’s comments are vital for us to continue improving our services, and will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our customer service, our private beach, the buffet, Maiko restaurant and the shuttle service.

It will be an honor to welcome you back for your next holidays,

Kind Regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Don Pablo Collection

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!