“A vacation fit for royality!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ctra Chetumal-Benito Juarez km 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
“A vacation fit for royality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at the Sian Kaan from Feb. 26-March 5. While the resort seems geared toward couples, my lady friend and I (both seniors) had a great time! The adults only aspect of the resort is wonderful. On those occasions that we ventured across the street to go to another restaurant (more on that later), I felt as if I were in Manhattan -- very crowded with strollers, people, lots of hub-bub.
But there was no real reason to leave Sian Kaan. The food -- oh, the food -- on the buffet yet! It was delicious! I, for one, loved all the salads in the little cups. Everything was fresh and perfectly seasoned. Ana the greeter always had a smile on her face and Faustino Lorice took very good care of us at breakfast and lunch. On several occasions, we tried other restaurants at the other properties. However, had we gone to Alux on the Sian Kaan property earlier in our stay, I never would have ventured anywhere else, except the buffet, of course. Alux is, by far, one of the finest restaurants I've experienced, and I consider myself a food snob. Outstanding!! Try the pheasant cannollis. And Iran took very good care of us.
We went to the private beach a couple of times during the afternoon, but I enjoyed the pools more because it wasn't so crowded and while the ocean water looked beautiful, I was afraid it would be too cold. The weather during our stay had its ups and downs.
My friend took advantage of swimming with the dolphins which she enjoyed very much. I played golf and while the rental clubs left a great deal to be desired (check before you leave the clubhouse. First they gave me left handed clubs then the grips on the second set apparently had been beset by moths!), I had a great time. When I return, I'll take my own clubs and play more often. Great fun!
Two things for the It-Would-Have-Been Nice department: It would have been nice if the hotel offered an option of two queen sized beds in the junior suite garden upgrade, which is what I thought I paid for. It ended up that my friend and I had to share the king size which turned out all right. Second, it would have been nice to have the room equipped with drawers of some sort. However, Angelina at the front desk was, indeed, a little angel in helping us straighten out our room angst.
We had a great, relaxing time and I would recommend this property wholeheartedly!

Room Tip: If you ask for a room in a quiet section, your request will probably be honored. I'd stay away...
Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

The Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an team would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so happy to hear that you had a great and relaxing time with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the pools, playing Golf and the delicious and healthy food. Let me tell you that we totally agree with you about the outstanding pheasant cannellinis at the Alux, are my favorite course in the hotel.

Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff, they work really hard to make your stay enjoyable. We really appreciate your comment about Ana, Faustino and Angelina, they are great ambassadors of the service in the Sian Ka’an Hotel and your nice words are a great motivation to keep them up with the professionalism and service. We will immediately forward your post to the correspondent managers for their well-deserved recognition. Also your review has been forward to the Golf Course manager to take immediate measures about their equipment.

We are looking forward to welcome you back if your future plans lead you back at the Riviera Maya!

Receive our warm regards,

2,644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Polish first
Ancaster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I just came back from a wonderful week at the Sian Kaan (March 4th - 11th; Travelled via Air Transat, booked on RedTag.ca) We travelled last year with another couple to the Bahia Principe Coba (practically across the street) and was very happy with that trip, however this facility was certainly an upgrade and more luxurious. Thank you to everyone for their reviews, there were so many little tips that I exercised while I was down there (pre-booking dinners, etc). First off, the food is exceptional no matter where you go here, hands down (I ganed weight actually, it was TOO good!) I personally eat gluten free and there were so many options, I didn't even have to worry. Lots of healthy, fresh options (love the smoothies at breakfast!). The Gala night on Saturday had lobster - yum! However you have to get there early, they go through them quickly! We went to Alux twice (Thank you Wilberth and his assistant Iran for your excellent service!). It was decadent, and some of the best beef tenderloin Jeff had ever had. I loved the gourmet touches, like being handed a warm towl to clean your hands before dinner and mints as you left . We also went to Mikado, Japanese food, delish. Recommend both. We went to 1 dinner at Coba (Portofino) however it was a trek to get there and wow, what a difference in food and service. Stick with Sian Kaan is my advice! Don't waste your time over there. Also, the coffee and cappuccino are SO good in Mexico, You must get cappuccino from the lobby bar as a late afternoon pick-me-up! I pre-booked all dinners with Brisa for 8pm via email. She was efficient and friendly. I went to the Spa one afternoon and it was fabulous. They hand you a cool towel to use when you walk in to cool off from the sun. So beautiful, serene and realxing I could've stayed all day. I had the 50 minute Mayan Massage with Daisy and it was one of the best spa experiences I've ever had. I had the entire facility to myself! Such a nice break in between other vacation activities. They have a nice seating area you can lie down in while you wait, I almost fell asleep! One area Jeff and I agreed needs to be tuned up is the golf pricing: Jeff is an avid golfer, and was looking forward to playing the Riviera Maya golf course. It is so beautiful, I decided to ride along in the cart. Well, it cost Jeff $80 (manageable) for green fees and me $50 (what!?) just to ride in the cart!!!! That was frusterating. Nothing about the golf is free. You pay for everything, including $10 if you just want to go hit balls. That's too bad and can really be quite expensive. Jeff said we have come before and may purchase a condo in the facility (only partially true lol), but they wouldn't budge. However, it is beautiful scenery and the drink cart is never too far so we got over it. We stayed in the Garden View Jacuzzi Suite. I had to clean out the jacuzzi (it is outside, of course!) but we did end up using it one day after the pool. Our first room was close to the activity pool and it was SO loud (sounds really carries in this facility!), we asked to move and we were the next day to 40104; which was the perfect location. When you go, you MUST MUST go to Tao Wellness Centre! This is where the gym/classes are. I personally took Hatha Yoga and Tai Chi with Victor (very good!), and Zumba with another fellow who was HILARIOUS and cracked me right up. A great way t start the day. The trolley picks you rightup in front of the lobby and takes you there. There are also 2 lap pools, I only saw 1 person using. It is such a beautiful facility set in a serene jungle setting, you must make time for it. Jeff and I did an excursion to Chichen Itza while we were there. We were annoyed with the pricing, as we paid $109 USD through Air Transat and the people behind us paid $49 USD through someone else!!!! Pricing is all over in Mexico. However it was a "once in a lifetime:" opportunity, and very interesting. With that being said, the Centoe we visited on the way was the highlight for both of us! It was so beautful, we swam in this underground river, its natural, and one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. That alone was woth the price of admission. They also serve you a buffet lunch, and are constantly offering drinks and spanish biscuits on the bus which was nice. It was a long day (9am - 8pm) however it was enjoyable. All in all, I am a huge fan of the Bahia Principe line of resorts. Sian Kaan was peaceful and relaxing. and the adults only was a HUGE plus. It was quieter resort, so if you're looking for more nightlife or action, head to Coba. The staff go out of their way to greet you and serve you, so please tip. Canadians are known for being cheap sometimes, and I saw so many people completely disregard the staff afters dinners/trolley rides etc, whereas we always tipped. It makes a difference to them I'm sure, and they deserved it. I speak very highly of this trip, and would absolutely recommend to any adults looking for a luxurious vacation.

Dear Emily,

On behalf of the entire staff of Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and myself I would like to thank you for the great and detailed review of your recent stay with us and for recommending us to the future guest, as like you, take in consideration the reviews of previous guests.

Your post will be forward to each departments involved to make your stay peaceful, luxury and wonderful. We take great pride in providing a pleasurable vacation experience for our guests, and your comments help us maintain our high standards.

Thank you for you nice words and we will be delighted to welcome you again in the near future,

Stouffville, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We just returned from a very enjoyable week at BP Sian Ka'an. It is a luxury resort set in a jungle backdrop, with hard working staff and a premium food and drink experience. There are definitely a few things to be aware of before you go depending on the type of traveller that you are, but this resort scores a lot of check marks. It was our 6th time to this area and the first to this resort chain. Before we left, we contacted Claudia at the resort to make a room request and book our a la cartes and she was very helpful and professional (see other posts for her contact information).

High points:
- top-notch a la carte and buffet restaurants (all are much better than those in the BP complex)
- premium liquors, including cognacs and brandies. A few at cost but many very good options included at no cost. Cuervo and Crown Royal in mixed drinks a definite plus.
- impeccably clean rooms, common areas and resort grounds....modern and beautiful

To be aware of:
- Located on the other side of the highway away from the beach, shuttle service to a private beach club (<5 minutes) or to other parts of the complex (5-20 minutes)
- affiliated with adjacent golf course, but 'discounted' green fee + rental quite expensive, definitely bring your own clubs if you want to play
- no towels cards for towel service like the main BP complex (good), but towel service sporadic throughout the resort, could definitely be improved. No towels in locker rooms at golf club.

I would rate the accommodations, service and food/drink as 5 stars, and the resort location and amenities as 4 stars. I felt that the resort was excellent value for what we paid in high season.

Room Tip: Rooms by the sushi bar are very quiet and private, but are further from the lobby. Good for travell...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to share your experience during your recent stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.
We are very happy to hear that you had a very enjoyable week with us. We really appreciate that you mentioned the professionalism of Claudia, the a la carte restaurants, the cleanliness of the rooms and grounds and the premium drinks; and your recommendations to the future guest like the distance to the beach, Golf Course information and the beach towels system.

We hope you visit us again in the near future,

Warm Regards,

ggrill@sasktel.net
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were at the Sian Ka'an from Feb. 16th to March 2nd . My wife and I have been to the BP resorts sereral times but this was our first visit to the Sian Ka'an. It was a great trip, exceeded our expectations. The resort was perfect, the food incredible and our room was fantastic. We had a great view of the ocean, a fair distance away, but from our Penthouse suite balcony we could see the sun rise and the sun set. The staff at the Sian Ka'an are what makes the resort what it is, from Vanessa, the guest services manager to the landscape staff, they we all incredible, made you feel special and always polite and happy to see you. I would highly reccomend the resort and we will be returning again soon

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty to Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts and for choosing us for the first time.

It is a pleasure to read that we exceeded your expectations during you stay in regards of food, room, and service. We strive to provide the best service and we are very happy that you appreciated personal attention of our employees especially for mentioning Vanessa.

We would be delighted to host you and your wife in the future at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

Best regards from Paradise,

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had an excellent experience at Sian Kaan. It was a long trip down (1 hour exactly) from the airport but it was worth it. The food and service were great. This was our 4th trip to Riviera Maya, and other than our honeymoon (which we paid for a better room) this was hands down the best. If you are impatient and do not like to wait for shuttles, this place is not for you. I don't think we ever waited longer than 10 minutes for a golf cart or a shuttle, but you need to go into this thinking that you will need to be shuttled if you wish to go to the other resorts along the coast.

Rooms were great. Beds were firm, but comfortable. Bathrooms were very nice as well. The design and modern feel was extremely nice. We were upgraded for free, which was nice. The only drawback for us was our location. We were located at the building furthest from the lobby and restaurants, etc.

Food was excellent. It was noticeable better at Sian Kaan than the other 3 Bahia Principe resorts across the road. Both Maiko and Alux were elegant atmosphere and awesome food. HIghly recommend the Tequila restaurant as well, our entrees were phenomenal. We enjoyed Pescado, but the service was slow and the waiter didn't stop back too often. We did enjoy the "appetizer buffet" prior to our main dishes at that restaurant.

The pool environment was top notch as well. The water was cooler than we expected, but we heard they had a lot of rain prior to our arrival. I'd rather have cool water and sun than rain, no doubt. I'd guess pool water was 80 degrees. Bars and drinks were all great, nothing to complain about either. The free snorkeling was nice and enjoyed. Ocean floor was rough in places, but just simply avoided those areas. No doubt, the beaches were BUSY. You needed to get there early to get your towel on a chair. We mostly hung out near the pools and could take a dip when we wanted.

All in all, I'd highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Buildings numbered lower (1,2,3, etc.) are closer to the lobby and restaurants.
Dear Guest,

Receive greetings from the Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an; we would like to thank you for choosing us for your 4th holiday trip to the Riviera Maya.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback on as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

We are glad to hear that you had an excellent honeymoon in which you had very god experience with the room, food, pool, beach, drinks, snorkel and the a la carte restaurants.

Thank you also for recommending our hotel and for advice all our future guests. It will be wonderful to welcome you again.

Best Regards,

Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an
Erin, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Not sure if I need to add anything more as our review title states it all...but I will anyway. This was our first trip to Mexico. I searched the internet extensively and I must say the reviews on trip advisor did help. We arrived March 2nd at the hotel just before lunch, and we were treated to a margarita as we were checking in.

ROOM
The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are clean, quiet and very functional. Our room had a king bed, sitting area and beautiful bathroom and a balcony. The A/C system was on a remote control and was quiet and effective

FOOD
The food, well the food was more like a 10 star.

BUFFET
Before I talk about the a la cart restaurants, I must say the main buffet by the lobby is in itself a great place to eat. It had a great variety of food no matter if it was breakfast, lunch or dinner and the food was fantastic. You could just eat at the buffet all week and you would be happy. Want a quieter but still great breakfast, eat at the location by the first pool (it is the Alux al a carte restaurant at night) but provides a great breakfast and is closer to most rooms.

Al LA CARTE RESTAURANTS
The nice thing about staying at the Sian Kaan hotel versus the other three (Coba, Akumal or Tulum) was that with our all inclusive package we got unlimited al a carte restaurant choices. Here were our choices; restaurant name - type of restaurant (Hotel) - comments
1) Alux - International Gourmet (Sian Kaan) - good food, quaint, romantic, good service
2) Dolce Vita - Italian (Coba) - okay food, okay service, noisy
3) La Gran Tortuga - Brazilian (Tulum) - good food, interesting menu, good service
4) Mediterraneo - Mediterranian (Coba) - good food, romantic, good service, right next to beach
5) Arlequin - International Gourmet (Akumal) - excellent food, romantic, great service, 5 star
Of these the Arlequin was by far the best. In fact we went there twice. The "filet mignon" was the best I have ever had. Also try the french white wine from the their list (sorry forgot the name).

SIAN KA'AN SERVICE
The service at this resort was definitely 5 star. All the staff went out of their way to be helpful, nice and all with a sense of humor. Please remember to tip. Yes your package may say it includes gratuities, but you are at a 5 star resort. These tips are a major part of the service staff's income. $20 for dinner, $10 to $20 for other meals and min $5 per delivered drinks to me is minimum.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE
When we go back to Mexico, we will definitely be going back to the Gran Bahia Principe "SIAN KA'AN hotel as it was a fantastic 7 days where we were treated like royalty and like we mattered. And the fact that it is an adult only (18+) was a great bonus. Love kids, have 4 of our own, but when you do not bring the kids, you prefer not to share your time with someone else's either.

Stay here and you will not regret your choice.

P Bromby (Ontario)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Mr. Bromby,

Please receive greetings from the Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an; we would like to thank you for choosing us to spend your first holidays in Mexico.

We are grateful for your comments regarding your recent stay with us and appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback.

It is always a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the resort in general, especially the location, the room, the fantastic food, the a la carte dinners, the adults only concept and the 5 star service.

We would be very happy to welcome you again at the Riviera Maya!

Sending you my kindest regards,

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from a seven day stay at Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an (March 1 to 8). My wife and I (in our early sixties) have traveled extensively to Mexico and Cuba and have been to the BP resort a total of seven times and twice to Sian Ka"an. Although this resort is not on the ocean side, it's a short 8 minute tram ride to the private beach. Kudos to Sinthia who served us at the beach and works tirelessly to keep everyone happy. I am an avid golfer and played golf twice on our trip on the on site golf course and it is top notch. Tee times were easy to book. It is a little bizarre that beverages are free in the club house but you have to pay for them on the course, just don't understand the logic.It's not a big deal, just an annoyance and something we didn't expect!

We went to the spa once and it was very enjoyable.

We pre-booked all of our a la cartes (unlimited) and most we very good. One exception was Le Gourmet, where the food was OK but the service was very poor. We were there for almost 2 hours and still had not been served our coffee. The Alux was exceptional as was the Maiko a la carte, both on the Sian Kaan side. The room was very nice and room service did a great job.
The grounds are beautiful. All of the workers were friendly and greeted us with a friendly "Hola" whenever they passed by.

I had casually mentioned that my wife's birthday was happening during our stay and the resort helped us celebrate by giving us a bottle of champagne and decorating our room with a cake made from towels, balloons and chocolates. Small things, yes, but much appreciated.

The pools were very cold as the weather was cold at night for the first few days. The ocean was warmer though, so we spent more time there. The beach is not the best we've ever been to, a little rocky on entry, but once you get past the first 40 or so feet, it's fine. You need to get down to the beach early to get a chair under a Palapa.

This resort seems to be aimed at an older crowd, which is fine with us. If you are looking for a more party like atmosphere, I thing the other side (Tulum, Coba, and Akumal) would be a better choice. There is live entertainment in the evenings, same group every evening, and they do a good job.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay and felt pampered the whole time we were there. We feel it is great value for the money and are already planning our return in September.

Richard P. Calgary AB

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor garden room (40901) and enjoyed the large patio as well as easy access t...
Dear Mr. Richard,

I am very glad to hear from you again and as part of Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an staff I am very proud that you chose us for second time and to read that you enjoyed your stay, that you felt pampered and that you are already planning to return in September.

I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Also, I would like to let you know that I am forwarding your concern about the Club House to the Golf Course management.

Greetings and warm regards from the paradise,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!