Spent the week of December 7-14th at this resort. Traveled with my sister. We were a little concerned about not being close to the beach but honestly, it really isn't an issue. The rest of the resort more than makes up for it.
I'll start with the positives then the suggestions/negatives.
First of all, the manager, Claudia Novelo is absolutely fantastic. The first room we were given was a little too far from the lobby for me, (I have MS but had neglected to specify that initially because didn't think the walk would be an issue but it was). Claudia had us moved to another room as soon as one became available. She was always helpful, always smiling and really went the extra mile to make sure we were happy, from providing us with an umbrella when it rained one day, to arranging reservations at one of the a la carte restaurants we couldn't get into.
This was my 6th time to Mexico and other than Secrets Silversands, it is my favourite. The food was awesome (gained 5 pounds, oops!), the staff are super friendly, the beach was really nice, pools clean.
The longest we ever had to wait for a trolley was about 4 minutes. They are always coming around. The ride to the beach, without stopping at the Coba section is about 10 minutes. We did NOT have to get up at 7:00 a.m. to play the towel game for the beach or the pools which was really nice. You could get to the beach around 9:00ish and still find a hut and chairs. Loved the private beach for the Sian Kaan. Music by the main pool at the resort was really cool, not intrusive. Once we got to the beach there was no need to go back to the room till the end of the day. There is a bar on the beach, and the Grand Tortuga buffet is right there as well so we could have lunch there. There is also a new Dolphinarium right at the resort behind our private beach. I would go for lunch and stop to watch the dolphins play!
Shout out to Blanca at the Sian Kaan buffet. She was a real sweetheart. She works really hard, always smiling, always helpful.
Rooms and resort are modern. We were on the second floor.
I have a wedding to attend in February and we were supposed to stay at the Gran Bahia Akumal but I'm going to try to return to this resort.
Here are my suggestions:
1. We arrived at 11:30 p.m. in the evening. There were 15 of us checking in and I would think the resort would know that the Air Transat group would be there at that time. Only one person to check us in, no welcome drink like I saw other people received during day check-ins. We had to wait for a ride to our room and when he dropped us off he pointed in the general direction and said our building was "over there". The signs for building 17 were hidden by the trees and we wandered around for a few minutes till we saw it. (The sidewalks are too narrow for the shuttle)
2. The balconies are narrow and have no chairs. You can use the chairs from the dining table in the room but there should be at least two outdoor chairs to sit it on the balconies.
3. I think most women would love to see a full length mirror somewhere in the room. It's frustrating when you can only see from your waist up when you are checking to see how you look.
4. Could use another hook in the bathroom to hang robes, or towels, or bathing suits
5. Need another light in the living room for the evenings. You couldn't read in that room at all because there wasn't enough light.
6. Most people congregate just outside the lobby in the evenings. There was live entertainment there every night. I think it was a father-daughter combo. They are good but seven nights in a row of the same thing was a little too much. There should be a variation. Having disk jockey to play more lively, danceable music would be nice.Or a piano player occasionally. Something to think about.
7. Smoking and non-smoking areas should be clearly defined. Smoke really bothers me and I didn't think people could smoke at the pools but some did and it was very disturbing.
These are not deal breakers by any means but small things that just give that added extra while traveling. Can't wait to return to this resort. Hope to see you in February Claudia!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Please receive greetings from the Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an; we would like to thank you for trusting in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts and for choosing us to spend your holidays.
We are grateful for your comments regarding your recent stay with us and appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the food, beach, pools, internal transportation and the service of our staff, especially for mentioning how helpful Claudia and Blanca were.
Also, thank you for bring to our attention the points where we can improve, be sure that will be reviewed with the departments involved and we will take appropriate action for the details you have mentioned.
We would be delighted to welcome you again at the Riviera Maya!
Sending you my kindest regards,
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.