You added Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Anchorage, Alaska
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Very nice luxury resort. Quiet, due to the hotel recently being changed to adults only. Food and drinks were excellent. Trams run frequently which makes it convenient to visit the other properties. If you stay at this property you can eat and drink at any of the other 3 Gran Bahia resorts, but other guests cannot use the Sian Ka'an amenities.

• Stayed November 2012
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for trusting in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing us to enjoy your holidays.

We really appreciate you taking the time to send your comments about your stay with us at the Riviera Maya.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an especially the food, drinks and internal transportation; we hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards from sunny Mexico,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Sian Ka'an is the newest resort in the Bahia Principe complex, the others being the Tulum, the Akumal and the Coba. The SK is the farthest from the beach, but regular tram service solved that. It was a special occasion for us, so we spent the extra to stay at the SK. What did we get that made it worth it? Well, from our own observations and in speaking with staff:
- a natural setting vs. the manicured lawns and trees of the other 3 resorts
- bigger rooms (large and clean)
- beautiful pools that were not very busy
- no kids (although we love children)
- an exceptional buffet (Yal-ku) , with lobster one night, caviar every day and very good baking, fruits and desserts (thanks very much to Eduardo who was wonderful)
- premium liquor
- a great lobby bar, the Tikal (thanks to Adriana, Laura and "Lady")
- a private beach, where they actually pick the stones out of the water
- great staff (with a higher staff/guest ratio than the other 3 resorts)
- Bell Captain Eric (whose mother ran out of Mexican names after 8 kids) and his team were great
- excellent service from very friendly people
A couple of other pluses - trying to be eco-friendly with some good programs; staff say that they are treated well and they like their employer.

Activities:
There were evening shows at the other resorts but we passed on those. Also more entertainment elsewhere, but we were happy with the live music by our lobby bar.
We visited the village of Akumal Beach - great shops and wonderful snorkeling. (Tip - take the bus to the beach for $2.00 and snorkel in the same area as the boats from the resort that charge a lot more).
Toured the ruins at Tulum with Enrique from Best Day tours - very informative. (Probably could have taken the bus and joined a guided tour at the site for less money.)
Spent a day in Playa del Carmen. Taxi was $30.00 but we paid $3.00 each for the bus.

A la Carte Restaurants:
- Alux - simply outstanding - thanks "Rocky".
- Dolce Vita - very good - thanks Alex from Chihuahua (not Italy as he said, ha!)
- Don Pablo - very good, but service a bit slow - thanks Luis.
- Tequila - fair - understaffed and not very authentic. Should have spent the evening eating the fresh tacos and salsas in the restaurant appetizer bar.
- Fructos Del Mar - fair - greeter kept us waiting while he talked on his phone; food was passable.

Tips on tipping:
Sure it's an all inclusive, but the staff receive a fairly low wage. We suggest:
- $2.00/day for maid service
- $1.00 for a round of drinks
- $2.00/table for the buffet
- $5.00/couple at the A la cartes
- Shuttle driver - if you wish (such as when we were serenaded one evening)
- Taxis - if you wish.

It wasn't perfect:
I rated the resort as 5 because we really enjoyed our stay. A few things to make it better:
- If you advertise a dress code at the A la Cartes, please enforce it
- If towels are left unattended for more than 2 hours, remove them
- Replenish the fridges daily, as you advertise (without having to ask)
- Don't let anyone on the beach with glass bottles.

Don't let my final observations affect your choice - it was a great resort. I'll be back!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

First of all, please receive greetings from the Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an; we would like to thank you for trusting in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts and for choosing us to spend your holidays.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback on as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the pools, the entertainment and our food and drinks. We really appreciate that you mentioned the work of our great staff especially Eduardo, Adriana, Laura, Lady, Eric and Alex. We will forward your comments to our team.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your perception about the service at Don Pablo and Frutos del Mar restaurants and the noncompliance in dress code at the a la carte restaurants, however, you can rest assured that we will be giving this matter the proper attention. Concerning the daily fridge replacement, we have already taken the proper action in order to meet our valued standards again.

We would be delighted to welcome you again at the Riviera Maya!

Sending you my kindest regards,

Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an
Vancouver Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Visited from 12th-26th November and decided that, after doing our "homework," we would try the newer resort, Sian Kaan.

Were we ever right to do this! Rather than try to cover everything, as many reviews have, I will try to give an overview, and compare with the other 3 resorts where we have consistantly had a great vacation. Drinks, food and service are significantly better, and that is not to say the other 3 are bad. Rooms are much improved with efficient AC etc and better soundproofing. We had the penthouse with rooftop jacuzzi which we enjoyed each day in late afternoon.

As great as this place is, it is their amazing staff who really make it work. Their pride in their work and genuine friendliness makes us eager to return as soon as we can. Special mention to Claudia and Vanessa for organising our room and meal reservations etc. to Eglaydy and Emma in the main buffet, Laura in the Lobby Bar, but also to everyone else who consistantly do their best.

Do not hesitate to book this place; you will not be sorry.

Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for your loyalty in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an for the first time.

We are very happy to hear that you had a great vacation; enjoying the drinks, food, room and that you appreciated the service and personal attention of our employees especially from Claudia, Vanessa, Eglayde, Laura and Emma.

Thank you for your time and comments, hoping to host you here in a near future to welcome you back at the Riviera Maya.

Kind Regards,

Digby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I visited Gran Bahia Sian Ka’an from Nov 17-24 and stayed in villa 12 – 3rd floor facing the pool – we booked a regular junior suite with AC Vacations. Thank you Claudia – our room was great and the dinner reservations were exactly as we’d arranged.
We got lucky with our airport trips. Previously, there had been long waits in customs, etc at the airport, but we were only about 40 minutes getting out to the bus. As has been mentioned in the past – DO NOT STOP in the hallways after leaving security until you are outside and see your rep holding a sign for your tour company. They will tell you which bus is yours. Or in the case of private transfer, just find your “ride”. The people in the inside hallways are quite determined to “trick” you into a ride and I’m assuming large fees. They often say the tour company names trying to catch you.
We were on a large bus with a washroom and they sold cold Corona for $3 each. Water was $2 I believe. The drive was about 1 hour 15 minutes. A couple beers and we were there:) Sian Ka’an was the first stop. There was to be a drop off at Coba and then Dreams Tulum. There’s something to see most of the drive – all the resorts between Cancun and Akumal and Playa Del Carmen, etc. On our return, we were surprised to get an 8 passenger bus that headed straight for the airport – 1 hour – awesome! We ate at Johnny Rockets in the airport – their burgers were amazing! Duty free in the airport is very inexpensive for things you buy at home in Canada (Bailey’s 1L 2/$40; Flor de Cana 1 L $12.00; Captain Morgan Dark $14)
Check in was quick with a welcome margarita. We were early, so the room wasn’t quite ready. We had lunch and a drink, then got our room around 3:30. When you leave your suitcases in the lobby , the bellboy gives you a paper. After you have your room, give the paper to the bellboy and tell them the room number. They will accompany you with your suitcases. We had our restaurant reservations already via online, so we just checked in with public relations the next morning to have the receipts printed.
The first evening we had champagne and fruit delivered to our room which was a very nice touch. The fridge had the standard snacks, spirits, 2 beer, pop, etc. It was refilled the first couple of days, then was sporadic. The room had a king size bed, flat screen tv, sitting area, large patio with 2 small chairs (A more comfy chair would be nice as I spend an hour or two in the morning reading on the deck) and side table. The bed was quite firm but we both loved it The whole wall is windows/patio door with 2 different roll up blinds – one lets light in and one is room darkening. I can see why people have complained about these in the past as there are two sets of hanging things to open/close the blinds and it usually takes a few tries to get the one you want lol. The bathroom had a large stand up shower with an excellent pressure show (We never were lacking hot water ever) – lovely vessel sink and a shelf underneath for towels and your stuff. There’s ample storage; however, I wished there were more hooks or towel rods to hang damp things including towels on. There is an iron, ironing board and umbrella. I kind of laughed at this, but there is a menu to order “scents” for your room if you wish. I am very sensitive to scents, so I definitely didn’t try that one lol. There is also a pillow menu if you don’t care for the pillows on the bed. You may also order your coffee delivered in the morning if you wish. We didn’t try room service. The rooms were very clean with no bugs; however, I found the stairwells scuffed up and not always real clean. They didn’t quite match the excellence of the rest of the resort.
The pools were very cool the week we were there as the evenings were cool and most of the days had some cloud. When it was sunny, it was beautiful and hot and the cooler pools were very refreshing:)
We enjoyed Carlos at the pool bar – I loved the Mayan Monkey drink, mimosas, beer and clamato, Dark Bacardi and Sprite mostly. One day Hery worked at the pool and we had a blast with him – He usually works at the lobby bar. The towel game was in full swing to get the sunny chairs while we were there. We also had a hard time getting loungers at the beach. I was surprised we hadn’t read about that in the past? They said the hotel was only about 60-70%, so I can’t imagine what you’d do if it were full.
We loved the Holbox beach bar and had good service from everyone there. Paloma is amazing. I can’t imagine her job traipsing back and forth through the sand and up an incline over and over to deliver drinks to your chairs at the beach – she deserves a reward. It’s VERY hard walking in it let alone doing it all day. She’s obviously in very good shape! And she was always smiling:) Holbox is right next to the dolphin pool, so you can watch anytime you want. We found the music at Holbox very repetitive and the same person singing all the recorded songs. We would have rather heard Mexican music or original artist modern music…. Just seemed like the same all the time – a mix would be good. The washroom is just behind Holbox. Take the path to the trolley spot and turn right, and you will see it. It’s quite close to walk to Akumal (walk to the right facing the ocean), or through Tulum (turn left facing the ocean) . On the overcast day, we kind of resort hopped checking out the others. Coba was packed when we visited – too full for me in the lobby area!
We went to 3 a la cartes: Maiko, Le Gourmet(in Coba), and Alux. We loved Maiko and Le Gourmet – Alux not so much. At Maiko, we each ordered the Satay Trilogy which was the three skewers on grilled pineapple and the mixed Teppanyaki – It was more than Excellent! My hubby had the fried ice cream dessert and I had the banana in a tortilla with icecream – excellent! We loved Maiko and would definitely return. At Le Gourmet, my husband ordered the scallop appetizer and I ordered the carpaccio. I had almond soup and he tried the seafood bisque. We both had the filet mignon and the warm chocolate brownie dessert – Oh my goodness – to die for!!! We loved the whole meal and would definitely return. At Alux, I ordered the Fois Gras which was excellent and tasted like apple pie. My husband ordered the shellfish in puff pastry and said it was good. The Portofino soup was good. We ordered the Tenderloin and here’s where it went not so good. The meat had no taste whatsoever – looked good but was not so great Mine was also severely underdone. If it had have been good, I would have returned to have it cooked more , but it wasn’t worth it to me. The desserts were just so-so at Alux as well. The service started out okay but as it got busier we started waited a bit too long between courses in my opinion. I’ve taken pics of several menus which I will post in a few days.
We enjoyed the buffet very much. I personally found there should have been more grilled meats, etc. ready to choose from(and it was always busy, so there were people to eat the food) – you could order items to be cooked, but that meant waiting, and it wasn’t always easy to see what to choose from. They had the chocolate fountain at least two nights while we were there and it was very good. They had tiny baked cheesecakes occasionally and they were excellent! The mini salads and desserts were a very nice touch. I loved the tiny premade sandwiches at breakfast and lunch – they were always fresh and good. The mimosas at breakfast and omelettes were my fav There was lots of fresh bacon/hashbrowns/waffles/etc every day. (and smoked salmon/caviar/sushi/etc if that’s what you like) I especially loved the “Chinese food” section at dinner with fresh chow mein, rice and spring rolls.
At the 24 hour grill, we enjoyed the burgers, nachos and guacamole (had to ask for gauc but they had it every day) and the ribs are excellent! Ice cream is very good as well. The service was always good there; however, I found the quality a bit less than the rest of the hotel. I think it’s because it’s never very busy there, so they don’t have a lot prepared or ready.
We mostly drank beer, beer/clamato, dark rum (Bacardi or Havana Club) and sprite, and mimosas. The Mayan monkey at the pool bar was very good as well. All the drinks I tried were very good and very well made. The bartenders certainly know what they are doing. At most bars, they have nuts and pretzels if you want to request them. The sweet corn nuts at the beach are awesome!
I must mention the girls at the lobby bar area. They work tirelessly and most are ALWAYS smiling. A special mention about Laura, Adrianna and Ana – our favorites. Excellent job ladies! We spent every evening in the lobby area. Most of the nights, there were 2 men that performed live music. They were only so-so. We found they did okay with their “Spanish” music, but when they tried to mimic popular “English” songs they massacred them! My husband and I actually had good laughs about it most nights. The popular DJ music when they took a break was refreshing in our opinion. We felt Sian Ka’an could improve in this area – even with good DJ music occasionally rather than less than impressive live music.
We weren’t overly impressed with activities. In our opinion, Sian Ka’an needs to have a bit more livelier activities available for those who like to have a bit more fun….come on…yoga, bingo, mini golf in long grass, and zumba???? It would have been nice to see some more “fun” activities once in a while. The entertainment team did work hard to keep things going including blackjack, etc in the lobby in the evenings.
The trolley service was EXCELLENT – we never had a problem or wait more than about 5 minutes. Just tell the driver when they stop where you want to go, and they will tell you if they are the right trolley and help you get the right one some times
Overall comments:
-better lighting in the bathrooms for putting on make-up, etc… ;
-more comfy patio chair on your patio for people that actually sit in them;
- better music in the evening – even DJ would be good if the music was upbeat and fun;
-at least one “more active and fun” pool and activity area for those livelier guests
-more hooks/racks for hanging damp things in your room
-bit better food at Alux – perhaps a couple more “normal” choices
We enjoyed Sian Ka’an; however we felt overall it was a bit too quiet for our taste-more geared to an older, ritzy crowd – perhaps that is what they are going for? The food, service, rooms, etc was all above par – excellent! Please message me if anyone has any questions you would like answered:)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all thank you very much for your recent visit to the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Resort and for taking the time to write your impressions about our hotel. It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the pools and beach area, buffets and a la carte restaurants during your recent stay to our hotel. Regarding to the comments about the food at the Alux restaurant, we assure you the same has been communicated to the concerned and necessary action have been taken to ensure we keep providing our guests with the attention and services they deserve.

We really appreciate you mentioning our staff, especially Claudia, Carlos, Hery, Paloma, Laura, Adriana and Ana. It really incentives and encourages them to keep working and improving day by day, we will forward your comments to Claudia and the rest of our staff.

Concerning to the fridge, we work with a very strict Concierge Express service where every request, complaint or report of malfunctioning in the room is filed. The management and staff extend our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences which you may have experienced as a result of the situations you have brought to our attention.

Thank you very much for your suggestion about the music in the evening and the entertainment activities, lighting in the bathrooms, hangers and the patio chair in the room. We have already sent them to our general manager and will be taken in great consideration to ensure we keep providing our guests with the attention and services they deserve.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our resort.

Kindest regards,

Gracy Manzo Mendoza
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

- Food is average and in some restaurants, below average. Buffet is above average (maybe excellent for an all-inclusive resort).
- Couldn't get a reservation in the two restaurants that everyone raved about (Grand Tortuga and Don Pablo). They will book you a reservation as early as 6:00 and as late as 9:30 depending on what time slots were available. Much better food in Playa Del Carmen. Try this place called Cockteleria Veracruz. The Ceviche there is the best ever.
- Alux was the one reservation-only restaurant that had good food but we returned the wine bottle they opened because it tasted horrible. Seriously. They have wine you can buy for an extra charge, though.
- They had Johnnie Walker Black Label at the main bar but after finishing my first glass I went back for a second and they told me the bottle was finished and they don't have any more.
- You can go to the other 4 resorts connected to Sian Kaan. It seemed like patrons of the other resorts couldn't use the facilities at Sian Kaan. Riding the shuttle was fun and only once did we have to wait more than 15 minutes for one.
- The pool at Tulum had lots of activities/music/energy. The one at Sian Kaan is for those wanting peace and quite.
- The night club at Hacienda was fun and the music was really good. Gangam style :)
- The breakfast buffet ends at 10:30. Went to the 24-hour snack bar at 10:40 and they told us the only thing they can serve is an egg sandwich.
- The beach has beautiful white sands but once you get into the water you will be walking on rocks. Beach volleyball net on the beach. Of course by now you should know that Sian Kaan is on the other side of the highway and you need to get on a shuttle to get to the beach and back. The ride takes less than 10 minutes unless you stop at other resorts.
- You can swim with the dolphins in one of the pools on property ($70-$160/pp, roughly).
- Friendly staff and most of them spoke some English. The front desk spoke English very well and the ones at the "public relations" desks were very helpful. Sometimes had to wait 20-30 minutes to get to those, though.
- We had rented a car. When we first arrived, the "bell boy" parked it and gave me a ticket initially then he came back gave me the car keys (?) . When we tried to claim the car the next morning, the other bell boys said they didn't know where it was parked. Then one of them offered to take us in a golf cart to find it. It wasn't parked too far and from then on, we parked the car ourselves.
- Very modern and clean rooms. Avoid building 18 if you can since there is construction behind it. No noise but not a nice scenery. The blinds are not useful in terms of blocking sunlight. When the sun came up, the room had a lot of light.
- The standard pillows were pretty large so we asked for smaller ones at the front desk and were told they will be in the room when we got back. They weren't. Had to make 3 phone calls after returning to the room and they could only find one pillow. The last call was at 1:30 AM.
- Had a bad drainage issue in our shower. It wasn't fixed after they said it was fixed. I was able to fix it by pumping the water with my foot into the drain. They did tell us to call again if it wasn't fixed the first time but I thought I would take a stab at it and it worked.
- Free Wifi in most areas although in the room the connection worked well some days and got dropped other days. When it worked, it was fast. No problem connecting to it. No password needed.
- Several fun shows at the other resorts that you can attend without reservation. Just walk in and find open seats.
- Overall, I would recommend this place as long as the expectations are set upfront.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Resort. It will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed dinner at the Alux restaurant, ridding shuttle, night club at the Hacienda Doña Isabel, your modern and clean room, the beautiful white sands on our beach and the fun shows.

We are sorry to hear that we did not fully meet your expectations with the food at the buffets, the wine in Alux restaurant and some room service. We assure you the same has been communicated to the concerned and necessary action have been taken to ensure we keep providing our guests with the attention and services they deserve.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity in a near future.

Receive our warmest regards,

Brisa Islas Reyes
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Sorry it took so long to write this review. My normal procrastination coupled with Hurricane Sandy managed to slow me down.

Love this resort so much that we have made it our second home. We went in August with my son and his girlfriend and we all had a blast! The restaurants in the Sian Kaan section are superb! Make sure to visit Demeitrios at the breakfast buffet for a handmade cricket. Thanks to Carlos by the pool bar for his hard work and becoming a true friend. We will see you in March my friend. Also, tremendous thanks to Claudia the Manager! She is always so willing to make sure your stay is beyond memorable. I will be e-mailing you soon regarding our next booking. I look forward to seeing you, too.

Make sure to visit the other Carlos at the Beach Bar, too.

The accomodations, grounds, and all who work at this resort are so far above any other resort we have stayed at in the past. We have stayed at MANY in both Riviera Maya and Punta Cana over the years.

Can't wait to go back!!!!

Sherry

Room Tip: I understand this section is now adults only. 18 and over. If you have children you should look to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for trusting in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing us to enjoy your holidays.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food during your stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and really appreciate you mentioning Demetrio, Claudia and both Carlos; we will immediately forward your post to the correspondent managers for their well-deserved recognition.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and we're looking forward to seeing you, your family and friends again during your next vacation to the Riviera Maya.

Kindest Regards,

Gracy Manzo Mendoza
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

PROS:
-clean accommodations
-has several pools
-good food variety
-able to go to the other resorts but they can't come to the Principe resort --i think b/c there are condos that ppl own here
-good free trolley system to the other resorts
-was also able to take a bus ride for few dollars to Playa de Carmen..off the resort..a bit more busy area/ shopping area/ restaurants
-able to take excursions (we took 1 to Chitchen Itza Pyramid, Cenote watering hole down a cave w/ beautiful emerald blue water)
-shopping area near 1 of the other resorts that trolley can take you to since its still part of the Gran Bahia family of resorts...the other resorts are bit more busier
-trolley takes to you private beach area that is for the ppl staying at the Gran Bahia Principe..you can borrow snorkeling gear/ kayaks for free for an hour, plenty of loungers under palm tree umbrellas, plenty of towels, bar nearby, beach bar waitress, and the beach is better near the exclusive area

CONS:
-have to make reservation for good restaurants
-sometimes the trolleys schedules were off
-was not adults only so sometimes the pools would be busy w/ kids

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest.

On behalf of the entire Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important in order to maintain the quality in our hotel.

In regard to your comment about the adults only classification of our hotel, please allow me to clarify that our hotel was a family hotel from December 1st, 2011 to October 31st, 2012 and became an adults only on November 1st 2012.

We hope to welcome you back a second time to experience Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

Best Reagrds,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!