As others have said, the place is brand-new (eight months) and looks it. The most attractive of the Bahia Principe resorts. The only buffet restaurant among the connected B.P. resorts that's air-conditioned.
Food: All the connected resorts have similar buffet menus. The quality is very good, the variety is amazing. In fact, the buffet food is often better than the reserved a-la-carte restaurants. Plenty of choice for any appetite, from meats to fishes to veggies and fruits, and always lots of desserts. The a-la-cartes are worth doing for the service and ambience, but don't expect the food quality to be worlds better than what's available at the buffet (the buffet's pasta bar served a better plate than the a-la-carte Italian restaurant). Best a-la-carte so far was Japanese. We're eating Mexican tonight, which was booked solid because, presumably, the food is authentic.
Location: Because it's the only resort not on the beach, Sian Ka An is the least crowded during the hot months. People take shuttles to spend the day at the other resorts - Akulam, Tulam, Coba - but fewer people visit Sian Ka An. Nice, if you like a less busy atmosphere. The pools are beautiful and not overly loud. I'd guess the demographics shift when Sian Ka An's golf courses fill up in a couple of months.
Transportation: The only downside is the wait and the travel time to the beaches via the shuttle service. Returning can be long. Expect to wait up to 15 minutes for a return shuttle from any beach resort.
Service: English is spoken in various degrees by most of the staff, with French and Italian to lesser degrees. But "Hola!" is the universal exchange -- make that a drinking game every time someone says that to you and you won't last an afternoon. Everyone is unfailingly polite and you'll be plied with drinks every five minutes if you keep saying "Tambien" (the same), or "Otro" (another), or just nod.
The Room: Beautiful. Modern. Spotless.
FYI on arrival: The bus drive from airport to resort is well over an hour. We were starving and wished we'd brought a snack.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 4 outdoor pools (1 with Jacuzzi) Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Transfer to the beach and other facilities on the complex (at set times) Water activity centre, Beach Club with exclusive bar (at the Grand Principe Tulum) Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) 1 international buffet restaurant 2 speciality restaurants 4 Bars 1 snack-bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 420 rooms including 4 types: Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite, Deluxe Garden Junior Suite, Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suite. Deluxe Garden Junior Suites and Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suites are larger than the Junior Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Sitting area with sofa-bed and armchairs Balcony or terrace Bathroom with shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe Iron and ironing board 24 hour room service Butler service in rooms Private Jacuzzi Wifi Pillow menu Aroma menu Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings and anniversaries, as well as corporate incentive trips and conventions Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Resort And Spa
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Hotel Akumal
- Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'An Don Pablo Collection Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico