“Absolutely perfect.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ctra Chetumal-Benito Juarez km 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Kingston
“Absolutely perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Booked this hotel last minute, I have to admit the roof top terrace won me over. It was a wonderful location, really no issues not being right on the ocean because the trollies are there very frequently. The grounds spectacular, very lush and tropical given the property is only a year old, one would never know.
The pools are clean and really no issue finding a chair as others have complained about. The private beach on the ocean was a reasonably small area but the beachside service was great. Our favourite beach ended up being Akumal which you have access to whenever you like. The beaches are a bit rocky so beach shoes would not be a bad idea. Not the best beaches I have been too but none the less wonderful. Make sure to bring your own sun screen as it ranges from $20-$40.

The room was really modern and nicely decorated, ask for a topper to go on top of your mattress because as others have said the beds are rather firm. The roof top terrace was romantic and wonderful but I am sure now that we have been, that the garden room would be equally as nice especially if you are in your senior years, there are a lot of stairs but it really was not an issue for us. The air conditioning in the room was never cooler than 22 or 23 even if set lower they must have a cap on it. We stayed in building 18 which was at the far end of the resort rather private but it did get a bit noisy at times as it is the closest to the pool with most of the activities. The only annoying part of that was that they tend to play the same music over and over, lets just say I was sick of Adele when we got back. Would I stay again. YES in a heart beat.

We only tried one al la carte restaurant "Dolce Vita" and that was fine but superior Italian food it is not, but folks one must remember, this is Mexico not Italy. Overall the food on any of the buffets was really good and there is almost too much selection.

We do not golf so I cannot comment on the course but I can say they are beautifully kept.

La Hacienda is a spot where the disco, shops and a few bars are very nice and convenient to purchase gifties to bring home, the bartering was fun and the sports bar makes the best strawberry daiquiri I have had in years. We did not go to the disco, just not our scene.

Leaving the best for last the service was spectacular, everyone very friendly and helpful from the front line service staff to the grounds keepers to those poor guys that clean the sea weed off the beach. The lobby bar was really nice to hang out and have a drink Oscar and Laura both provided excellent service.

Oh a quick word to the wise avoid going to the time share presentation. It is very expensive but the free gift was nice.

Room Tip: I think it was be better to stay closer to the lobby building 3-4 if you are into a quiet stay but i...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Juan O, Gerente at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Guest

First of all we would like to thank you for trusting Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for such an important occasion as your holidays as and also thank you for spending your time to share your impressions. As a customer satisfaction orientated company, it is always a pleasure to read positive comments as the ones you have kindly sent.

We really appreciate you mentioning our staff, it really incentives and encourages us to keep working and improving day by day and I will immediately forward your mail to the correspondent managers for their well-deserved recognition.

Also thank you for bringing to our attention the points where we can improve as the music and lower A/A temperature, you can be sure that they will be reviewed with the different departments and we will take immediately an appropriate action for every different situation

Looking forward to welcoming you once again at the resort in a very near future.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

If you want to go to Sian Ka'an because of the "free" golf course, think again.
The golf is free, but you have to rent a cart at 65$ per person; duh. So it's 135$ to rent a cart for 2 persons. Add the price for renting golf clubs (45$ per person), and it's 225$ for a couple to play a round of golf.

They also say free wifi. It was impossible to get wifi in our room. It only worked in the lobby, and very slow. When you get 5 days of rain, you wish you could at least pass some time on the internet.

There was a lot of mosquitoes. Got at least 50 bites during the week, even if we used repellent. Forget a spot and you get bitten.

The resort is new. The staff is friendly. The room, the lobby, everything is beautifully built. The food was good, especially the restaurants. The buffet in Tullum (you have access) is better than the one in sian ka'an. But be aware of the few annoyances stated above.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Juan O, Gerente at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear Guest

First of all we would like to thank you for trusting Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for such an important occasion as your holidays as thank you for spend your time to share your impressions. As a customer satisfaction orientated company, it is always a pleasure read constructive comments as the ones you have kindly sent.

We like to thank you for sharing your experience as your perception about the golf course; we will pass your feelings to the main direction of the Riviera Maya Golf Club.
Also thank you for bring to our attention the points where we can improve, as the wi-fi services be sure that will be reviewed with the company who provide us internet and we will take immediate an appropriate action for every detail you have described.

Looking forward to welcome you once again at the resort in a very near future.

Akumal, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

This Robert Trent Jones ll layout is one of the finest anywhere. Don't pass up the chance to experience a fabulous golf experience.

• Stayed May 2012
Juan O, Gerente at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Guest

First of all thanks for trusting Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts and spend your vacation with us as share your impressions on this web site.

We like to thank you for sharing your experience as your point of view about the golf course; we will pass your feelings to the main direction of the Riviera Maya Golf Club.

Akumal, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at Sian Ka'an.
Pools were great, service outstanding, food and drink plentiful. Trams available to golf, Tao Wellness Center, as well as shops, beach and other Gran Bahia Principe properties.

• Stayed May 2012
Elkins, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Wow, what a difference a year makes. I like to go to new places when I travel, but recently I made a return trip to the Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an. I had such a great time a year ago (see Best of Both Worlds review), that I was worried my expectations would be too high this time around. Boy, was I wrong....with a new lobby, new restaurants, new pools, new bars and a sushi bar this place is even better. All this while still retaining the mellow vibe and employing some of the friendliest staff I've ever experienced (Marino at the front desk, Jorge booking my ala carte meals, Carlos pouring me a drink or two or three, and on and on). It's still enjoyable to go over to the other resorts for a change of pace, but I also found myself spending more time at the Sian Ka'an, then my prior trip.

As before, the food was excellent at the Alux (formerly Oasis) and I really enjoyed the Japanese food at Maiko. I also did my fair share of snacking at the suishi bar. My room was large and well decorated. If there was one glitch the whole time it was the first morning I found my shower drain was plugged. On my way to the beach I stopped by the front desk and told them, and when I got back from the beach the problem had been solved. The Sian Ka'an now has an exclusive section of beach which I really enjoyed and never found a problem getting a beach chair or palapa. They even provided drink service which was a nice touch.

The atmosphere is easy going, the entertainment soothing, and over the course of a week you almost feel like you've developed a community with the staff and fellow lodgers. Lot's of nice people relaxing and having fun.....my kind of people to hang with.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

2 couples stayed April 7-14/2012 2nd visit to GBP Mexico (GBP Tulum last year), we've been to Dom. Rep and Cuba
Pros: food is excellent ! (only ate at buffet all week)
Smaller section of the hotel so you tend to meet more people
lots of chairs poolside
topper on bed was great
staff is very friendly and helpful
drink service is fantastic, right to your chair (thanks to Paloma :) and Herbreth)
food service is fabulous ( special thanks to Roger at the buffet)
rooms are beautiful (thanks Claudia)
love the trees and surroundings
water pressure in shower was great

Cons: Need full length mirror in rooms
fridges are noisy through the night (we unplugged ours each night)
need a security latch on doors of rooms!
music around pool is terrible, elevator music/office muzac it would be better turned off!!
need some shade while waiting for tram at the beach
better Animation schedule, more info needed
A Canadian or US newspaper would be nice
need more beach chairs (after 9 am your choices are few)
Jacuzzi took about 45 mins to fill
Maid service / mini bar refill was not consistant in quality, sometimes great; sometimes they seemed way too rushed, maybe add a few more staff?
I wish the gardeners had better tools, hoses, tractors and more equipment

We had a fantastic time, these are more" wish list" items than cons.... would love to go again in a heartbeat!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a topper on your bed; Claudia did a great job arranging a birthday cake/ decorations for o...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Juan O, Gerente at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Guest

First of all thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us. As a customer satisfaction orientated company, it is always a pleasure receiving positive comments as the
ones you have kindly sent.

We really appreciate you mentioning our staff, we will immediately forward your mail to the correspondent managers for their well deserved recognition.

We would also like to thank you for trusting Bahia Principe Hotels and resort for such an important occasion as your holidays, THANK YOU!!

Also thank you for bring to our attention the points where we need to improve, you can be sure that will be reviewed with the differents departments and we will take immediate action to correct the different situations.

Juan Oliveira
Subdirector Sian Ka´an
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

This was our third time using the Gran Bahia Principe chain of resorts, mainly because they’re a good value. (Though I must admit I’m ready to try something different next time.) Sian Ka'an is one of four inter-connected resorts in the Mayan Riviera. It's the newest one, and it was designed to be superior to the other three (named Akumal, Coba, and Tulum). As such, it usually costs more. We were lucky to catch it at a good price ($1100 each). If you're choosing between these four, and Sian Ka'an is too expensive, just pick whichever is cheaper out of the other three, because the only difference between Akumal, Coba, and Tulum is location. You can view a map of the complex here: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8158/7224765086_6c5bcd6e94_o.png. Sian Ka’an is located at the centre of the top half of the map. Its only disadvantage is that it’s across the road from the beach, but I found that to be a negligible issue. Transportation (in the form of trolley/golf cart-type things) is frequent and it’s only a ten-minute ride to the beach. I'll go into more detail as to how Sian Ka'an differs from its neighbours below, but one crucial difference is that if you're staying at Sian Ka'an, you have access to all four sections. If you're staying at one of the other three, you only have access to those three, and no access to Sian Ka'an.

Two years ago, we actually stayed at Coba (Sian Ka’an wasn’t fully built back then). You’ll find my review of that one here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g499445-d593981-r55126555-Gran_Bahia_Principe_Coba-Akumal_Yucatan_Peninsula.html. I gave both a four-star rating, but Coba was more of a 3.5, and Sian Ka'an is more of a 4.25.

ARRIVAL
Thanks to past experience, we were able to dodge tip-seeking luggage helpers at the airport. It's about a 90-minute highway bus ride to the resort. You'll be given a pamphlet, which contains information and a valuable map. You will be given an appointment for a quick and painless orientation session. The one thing I wasn’t happy about was the 3pm check-in. We arrived at the resort in the morning and had to wait for our room.

ROOMS
The rooms at Sian Ka’an are decidedly nicer than the ones across the road. The villas have a less gaudy, more modern look. The bathrooms are elegant and the beds more comfortable. The rooms are spacious, and ours had a small outdoor area (we were on the ground floor). There is a mini-bar, stocked with water, soda, and beer. There is also a coffee maker and a tv. The maid cleaned up every day; we each left her a dollar a day. If you want new towels, put the used ones on the floor. In the minus column, I got some bug bites on my legs at some point. Also, the wi-fi in the room stopped working after four days (it continued to work in the lobby).

FOOD
The buffet is definitely better quality than it is across the road. The music consists of amusingly lobotomized easy-listening versions of well-known songs (mostly Guns ‘n Roses, for some reason). For the breakfast buffet, I recommend using the "eggs to order" station, where you get fresh eggs/omelettes exactly how you want them. Our package also included dinner every night at the complex's thirteen restaurants (only two of those are on the Sian Ka’an grounds). Other reviews have mentioned this, and it can't be stressed enough: you have to book your dinners at these restaurants ASAP; they fill up fast. There's an area in the lobby called "Guest Services" or something; if you arrive during their opening hours, book the restaurants right then. Sian Ka’an’s asian restaurant (Maiko) was so good we returned twice – spring rolls, chicken teriyaki, and pisang goren (fried banana dessert) were all yummy. I also highly recommend Coba’s asian restaurant, Mikado. The Japanese chef puts on a show as he cooks your delicious food right in front of you. Also excellent were the Brazilian restaurant (named La Gran Tortuga), and the Mexican one (Tequila), both in the Tulum section. At the Brazilian one the waiter comes by the table with skewers of various delicious meats. My favourites were the sirloin beef and the pork tenderloin. At Tequila, a traditional Mexican band goes from table to table to perform. The pork medallions and churros were both very good there. The only bad restaurant experience we had was at Coba’s Italian one, Portofino, where the food quality was cafeteria-level.

THE BEACH
The beach is divided in four segments named after each part of the resort. There are varying degrees of rockiness, so I highly recommend getting some water shoes (Google it to know what they look like). If you don't bring any, the Coba segment of the beach (which is the smallest) is ok without them. The water is very clear, and mostly shallow. There are plenty of long chairs with hut-like parasols for shade. Sian Ka’an’s beach is exclusive, which means there’s always a free chair there, but that beach is pretty rocky. Waiters come around to take drink orders, which is not the case at the other beaches. We noticed this year you could get bbq pork on the beach. There are lots of colourful fishes (it’s worth it to bring snorkeling gear to get an underwater view), especially in the quay area, though I was sad to see that a small coral reef we spotted two years ago was mostly dead now. Seaweed washes up on the beach; the staff do their best to rake it off.

OUTSIDE THE RESORT
There are sites you can visit outside the resort featuring various natural or man-made wonders. These include nearby towns, underground caves, golf, snorkelling, and ruins. The last time, we visited the Tulum ruins (see my Coba review for details). This year we decided to check out some cenotes (natural wells formed by the collapse of an overlying limestone crust). You can find my review of Cenote Azul here: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150805-d153418-r129882152-Cenote_Azul-Yucatan_Peninsula.html. Whatever you do, do NOT take a taxi; you can use the Colectivo transit system for about 10% of the cost – mini-vans that pick you up if you stand at the side of the road.

WEATHER
We weren’t as lucky with the weather this time, even though we went at the same time of year (end of January). There wasn’t much rain, but it was cloudy for about three quarters of our stay, which was a bummer. One mistake I won’t make again was to obsess over the weather forecast for a week before our trip. Each time, the forecast proved to be way off.

SUNDRY

*We're not social butterflies, but if group activities are your thing, there are plenty on offer. The pool dj's playlist is slightly less cheesy at Sian Ka’an compared to across the road.

*If, like us, you prefer peace and quiet, ask for a room as far as possible from the main lobby.

*There are gyms and plenty of pools (some with swim-up bars).

*About once a day, a super-loud atv races down walkways to spew insecticide smoke. The low number of insects is nice, but that temporary cloud of thick smoke is a bit disturbing.

*I saw lots of wildlife, which I loved. Iguanas are plentiful. There are also lizards, coatis, crabs, sea urchins, lots of fish, pelicans and other cool birds.

*The staff is eager to please and courteous. Many of them don't know much English, but if that bothers you, maybe you should stay home.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Juan O, Gerente at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Guest

As a customer satisfaction orientated company, we like to thank you for sharing your experience as your point of view.

Guest Services Manager

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!