I will start by saying that we traveled April 28-May 5, and I believe the resort was at about 40-50% occupancy. The sister resorts on the beach were at about 80%+ occupancy. Visiting during high/busy season may be different than my experience. I would definitely stay at the GBP Sian Ka’an over the others.
Guests at GBP Sian Ka’an have access to sister resorts Coba, Tulum, Akumal , and Hacienda Dona Isabel. There is also a Club House with a cafeteria, bar and piano bar for an additional charge. I won’t list all the restaurants and bars, there are just too many! There is a dolphin pool near the Sian Ka’an Beach Club Holbox. Transportation to/from the GBP Sian Ka’an is provided free of charge on golf cart type shuttles. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be during bad weather. We were very fortunate not to have any rain during our trip.
We stayed in a Junior Suite Superior Garden, which was perfect for us! There were 2 sets of sliding glass doors, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They each led out to the spacious patio. There was a path that led to an outdoor Jacuzzi tub, surrounded by tropical plants. Heaven! Once the foliage matures I think it will be VERY private! We loved the room so much we spent more time there than we usually do.
Due to my husband’s Celiac Disease (food issues), I had emailed ahead to make sure they could take care of him. We were given reservations to the ala carte restaurants, and a letter upon arrival to bring with us to restaurants. Thank you Marie Stromboni! We only had one issue in Mikado, and that was a communication problem with the chef and the waiter. Rather than risk cross-contamination we chose to head to the buffet. We really enjoyed all our meals, and never went hungry. Some were better than others, it all depends on what you like and what you’re used to. The only issue, which I have seen at several buffets in my travels, is keeping the hot food hot and the cold food cold. The waiters were very attentive and made sure we had what we needed.
I like to know what my drink choices are at a resort, so I will try to remember the brands that are included at the Sian Ka’an: Beefeater, Tanqueray, Absolut, Stolichnaya, Smirnoff, Cuervo 1800, El Jimador, Herradura, Don Julio, Bacardi, Havana Club, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, J & B, Dewar’s, Johnny Walker, Crown Royal, Chivas Regal, Courvoisier, and more. The only beer I remember seeing is Dos XX. There are also a few items offered for a surcharge. Bars at the other resorts had a limited selection, but they did offer Beefeater, Absolut, and Smirnoff, along with others I can’t remember.
Xpu-Ha Pool Bar had some nice choices, and bartender Carlos took very good care of us. He even delivered drinks to our chairs poolside. Thank you Carlos!
The pools at the resort are small, but never felt crowded. You could find shade in the afternoon on one side and sun on the other. The Animation team really made us feel welcome and we had a lot of fun, even though there weren’t a lot of people. Thank you Alexander!
Holbox Beach Club, which is available only to Sian Ka’an guests, was very nice. Two rows of palapas with chairs, tables and trash buckets ran along the shore. Waitress service was very good. Thank you Gabriela! Men were hard at work keeping the seaweed under control, but it was an uphill battle. There were a few spots with a short path through the rocks to get into the ocean so I had no problem without water shoes. The sandbags are unsightly, and the water is shallow unless you go further out. There are some beautiful fish and many people were snorkeling.
We did tip and were remembered, having what we needed before we asked. Many did not tip and appeared to get the same quality service.
Although the Condominim Residences were not yet completed, we had no issues with construction during our stay. We also heard that they may be making the Sian Ka’an an Adult Only resort in December.
We don’t usually go back to the same resort, but this one I am definitely considering.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 4 outdoor pools (1 with Jacuzzi) Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Transfer to the beach and other facilities on the complex (at set times) Water activity centre, Beach Club with exclusive bar (at the Grand Principe Tulum) Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) 1 international buffet restaurant 2 speciality restaurants 4 Bars 1 snack-bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 420 rooms including 4 types: Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite, Deluxe Garden Junior Suite, Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suite. Deluxe Garden Junior Suites and Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suites are larger than the Junior Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Sitting area with sofa-bed and armchairs Balcony or terrace Bathroom with shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe Iron and ironing board 24 hour room service Butler service in rooms Private Jacuzzi Wifi Pillow menu Aroma menu Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings and anniversaries, as well as corporate incentive trips and conventions Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Otel, Despegar.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Resort And Spa
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Hotel Akumal
- Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'An Don Pablo Collection Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico