“25th Anniversary trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Ontario
“25th Anniversary trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012 via mobile

First of all I would like to thank Claudia for all her help in making this trip special. We travelled from April 10-17. As advised on this site, I e-mailed Claudia for our ala-carte reservations and room request. She responded within 48 hours and accomodated all our requests. Bravo to you!! Our room was amazing, rooftop juccuzi near the lobby as requested. There was a mattress pad on our bed and we found it to be extremely comfortably. The room was spotless and housekeeping was excellent. We had towel art every day and 2 beautiful swans with rose petals greeted us on arrival. Our minibar was stocked daily and we wanted for nothing.
We ate at the buffet the first night, after a very long day of traveling, and found it to be fresh and plentiful. We had reservations for the remaining seven nights and all ver good or very good. We ate at Alux, Maixo, Le Gourmet, Arlequin, Portifino and Don Pablo. Claudia arranged for a cake to be presented to us at Alux and we felt very special:) All the food was very good, but some meals were not hot. The house wine is not great for such a fabulous resort and we even ordered from the wine list and the wine was brownish-obviously oxidized but oh well.
As everyone else has posted, the beach is not great-lots of rocks and seaweed. We expected that and swan in the ocean regardless. The men who clear the seaweed work extremely hard. I spoke to the manager about this and recommended that they provide them with a four-wheeler and a trailer to prevent them from having to lug those heavy bags. I don't know if it fell on deaf ears or not, but in Canada they are walking WSIB cases!! Please tip the seaweed guys? We did and they acted like nobody ever tips them.
They had a lovely lady and gentleman play music in the courtyard every night. I enjoyed them but it became quite respective.
The tram system worked well for us, but allow extra time in the evening to get to the other reorts.
We went to the Havienda to shop but found it to be extremely expensive and offered just your typical touristy stuff.
Check-in and check-out were a breeze. Our room wasn't ready at 1pm when we arrived, but we expected that and our room was available by 3 pm. We requested that our room be cleaned by 4 pm daily and it was. Hubby says the TV selection was lame but so what. Internet connection in my room was great and I was able to keep in touch with everyone at home.
Now on to the towel game- my husband and I are well-travelled and I realize this is an on-going problem everywhere;however, I do not feel comfortable removing towels and we didn't. We were able to get a chair at the pool once in the entire week. We had better luck at the beach. Drink service there was poor. We usually had to go to the bar.
The time share sharks are alive and well at the other reorts, often starting their pitch as we were on our way to dinner. No thank you usually sufficed.
I am very happy we chose this resort. The price was incredible, which makes a difference to me, and our weather was great except the first and last day. We met three men on a golfing vacation who truly enjoyed the course, but thought it was difficult.
My recommendations would include:
1. Salads at the ala-Carter's instead of sometimes pretentious starters
2. Bigger pools with mor chairs
3. Appropriate music at the pool instead of "I like to scr** the bit**es down the block
4. Four wheeler and trailer for the seaweed guys
5. Varied nightly entertainment.

If you can't enjoy yourself here, don't travel. You will never be pleased. Thank you Sian Ka'an!!!

Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

The title says it all. We visited the Sian Ka'an twice within a 4 week period during March and April. (We returned home from our first visit on March 7th and we were back to the Sian K'an on April 1st :)
We travel extensively throughout the Caribbean (on an average of 4 to 5 times per year)to "all inclusive" 4 1/2 or 5 star resorts. We seldom go back to the same resort as we enjoy variety. Well that has changed since visiting the beautiful Sian Ka'an. I am not going to bore you with details as to what the resort offers since many of the other reviews have taken care of that. However, what I will mention is the customer service at the Sian Ka'an is the very best that we have ever come across. Regardless of where we were or who we were dealing with, every single encounter we had with every staff was top notch. As well, a huge thank you to Guillem, (the Guest Service Manager) who went out of his way to make our stay a total pleasure (both times). Finally, I believe it is worth mentioning, out of all the places we have been to over the years, this is only my second time writing a review on tripadvisor, both for the Sian Ka'an. This resort has it all............It's an absolute gem in every way and we will definitely be returning yet again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Our flight and arrival went off without a hitch, cleared through customs and immigration within 30 mins and USA Transfers were waiting for us outside the airport. At the resort in an hour and 15 minutes, including a stop for ice cold beers at the 7/11.

This was a very last minute trip and we paid less than $1500 (flight and taxes in) so we could not pass it up. We normally stay at 5 Star Adults Only resorts but thought we would take a chance after reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor and all the hype about this resort being the “Don Pablo Collection”.

Upon first impression, this resort appears very beautiful and luxurious. Check in was very efficient and organized. We didn't have to worry about packing our bags around with us and they were in our room minutes after we arrived.

We stayed in the penthouse suite and did make use of the roof top patio. There is no privacy, as you sit in your Jacuzzi you can see at least 9 other roof top tubs from your own balcony. The air conditioner is set to 23 degrees from the main unit itself, even if you turn the thermostat down lower, you will not be able to cool the room down past 23 degrees. This is fine for the winter months but I can see where this will be a problem during the hot summer months.. There are also two ceiling fans in the rooms. There is very little storage in the bedroom for your clothes -so you should be prepared for this.

The rooms as with the whole resort seems to have been hastily built and not made to last very long, from the cheap aluminum rails on the balcony to the plastic chords used to raise and lower the blinds in the rooms. This resort has only been opened for 5 months and is already showing signs of deteriorating, I can only imagine what it will look like in 3 years from now.

The four pools that were situated around the resort are very shallow and are not the best design for swimming. The towel game was in full swing at this resort, I attribute this to it being a family resort and the price point at which this resort is set at.

The shuttles were a little hit and miss. We found that when it was busiest they were pretty frequent but when it got quieter they were a bit more sporadic. We learned to ask at the lobbies when we were looking for a ride back to Sian Ka'an, that way they would check to see when the next 1 was due soon. We knew going in that this resort was across the street from the beach and the other hotels in the complex but if I ever see another shuttle or have to take that bumpy ride again, it will be too soon.

One of the benefits of staying at Sian Kaan is that you can eat at any of the restaurants on site or at the neighbouring 3 Gran Bahia resorts. I believe there is a choice of 10 a la cart restaurants in total. We tried the main buffets at every resort for breakfast and lunch but were very disappointed. Children running around and touching everything on the buffet tables, picking food up and putting it back on the serving platters practically made me sick just watching....no parents to be found anywhere. I guess we are just not used to this as we normally stay at Adults Only and at resorts with a higher price point. The al a carte restaurants produced some good meals but again in line with the price point of the hotel (nothing spectacular).

If your looking for a cheap family getaway, I would recommend this hotel. Bubba Kegs, NASCAR hats and John Deere T-shirts were the norm for this hotel. If your looking for a quite romantic getaway, I would avoid this hotel at all costs.

The one redeeming factor of this hotel was the staff.....Kudos to the staff as they were run off their feet but always had a smile and were so helpful. I want to give this hotel a three and a half star rating but as Trip Advisor only deals in full stars, I give it a three.

London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We just came back from the mayan on April 13th and we really didn't want to return home. We honestly had a great time! This was our first trip to Mexico and we would definitely return.

The airport at the time we landed was extremely efficient, although I have heard horror stories so I guess we got lucky! The bus trip to the resort was relatively short and painless and they offered cold beverages for purchase at a reasonable price with facilities on board.

The check in at the resort was swift and our room was beautiful and clean. We were pleased with the overall cleanliness of the resort and private beach area as others have stated before us , they are always cleaning it seems like inside and out and the staff are extremely nice and pleasant to say hi to.

The food was good for resort food you could always find something that you would enjoy. The a la carte's at the resort were really good and it didn't seem like a hassle to take the trolley to the other resorts (mind you they say to be at the lobby about 30mins before hand to allow for time to get there) and it's true.

Once again there is a trolley system running all over the 4 resorts and you can take any one of them, go explore the other resorts, their pool's (Coba had a nice pool that was fun). Or you could just stay around the 3 pools at sian k'aan resort. The pools are not too big, however, lots of space for the amount of people it feels like. We enjoyed the 3rd pool, there is a bar located close by run by 2 of nicest bar tender/server you could meet. Carlos and Lin Yu never let you wait for your drink, were so easy to talk to, made your drink exactly as you wanted it. We really appreciated both of them. Beware if you are looking for an extremely party pool area, sian ka'an is not it, however the activity staff do there best with there resources to make it a good time for all. From the hilarious water aerobics, bike ride, or a game of flip cup, Pedro and Luis try there best to make sure you have a good time. They are also flexible to include all the other little things for children as well, face painting, crafts, games, or salsa lessons (LOL).

Overall, we really enjoyed our time. The weather was perfect the entire week, a little spit of rain in the evening but that was it. It was also really nice to have the breeze coming in off the water as it made the temperature bearable. It's definitely an area and compound we would consider to go back to again.

Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

After much research for weeks, we picked GBP Sian Ka'an finally based on all the reviews and the great pricing. We were going down for our 5th Anniversary/Honeymoon we were never able to take, so it was just the wife and I. We wanted a mix of relaxation and fun. We chose to go for a week, staying 6 nights.
Rooms - We had some hitches on our first day, such as the hot water not working (then the guy comes and “fixes” it immediately and makes us feel stupid, when im 99% sure he had to turn on a valve under the shower) and our hot tub didn’t have a stopper, so we had to call and have them bring one up. Other than that, things went smoothly. Room was spacious and nice, bed was firm but we ended up like it a lot and may buy our next mattress just like it. I had asked Claudio to have them stock extra beer in the fridge instead of soda, and it was the first day… but the guy who comes and stocks it on days after acted like I was crazy when I asked him to do the same. One day I left a $5 tip with a note to leave extra beer, he left 1 extra….. We did get a bottle of champagne one day, and we had rose petals on the bed on our last night.
Restaurants – We booked an Ala Carte for every night a couple weeks in advance of going. Not knowing how our days would plan out, we just booked for 7PM. The first night we saw this was a mistake, as we were about the only people eating at this time, and as the week went on we hated having to quit what we were doing by 6 to go get ready for dinner. Id advise to book later in the days if you can.
We liked all the restaurants, but I think Tequila was our favorite, following closely by Maiko. Maiko had excellent sushi and drinks as well. My least fave was Alux, I had the lamb and it wasn’t very tasty to me, but my wife enjoyed the dinner. Neither of us liked Mediterraneo either. Portofino was fantastic, ordered the filet like some mentioned here, and it was outstanding.
We had breakfast and lunch every day in the Sian Ka’an main buffet, and loved it. Wide assortments of breads and cheeses, and enough variety in the main courses that as long as you eat different things each day, you shouldn’t get too bored. Excellent omlettes, tho we both found egg shells in the regular scrambled eggs they would have out.
Overall we were very happy with the food experience. I will say the 24 hour snack bar was very bleh… we ordered food there late one night and it was bland and almost stale. Service was very slow as well. Would not advise relying on this, just use it in a last minute/only option scenario.
Drinks – having all drinks included was great, but I would have loved to have more options in beer. I like Dos Equis, and I drank quite a few… but it would have been nice to be able to mix it up a little, with say Coronas. We had most of our drinks at the beach bar or the main pool bar, and both places made excellent drinks. Carlos at the pool bar was very good, he even made my wife a drink she had at Portofino and loved (called the Portofino). The Beach bar made great margaritas and daiquiris as well. The Lobby bar… after seeing everyone talk about how good the drinks were from Oscar and company, we did not enjoy them. We had 3 our first day and none of them seemed to have any alcohol in them, and the service was very slow despite not seeming busy. So we didn’t go back.
Beach/Pool – We were frustrated at times with the lack of chairs, mostly the beach. We would be down there by 9:30 daily, yet every set of chairs would have towels on them already, while they were really only full at about 50% occupancy. We didn’t want to make people mad by pulling towels, so we would just walk around long enough till we would finally spot a couple of sporadic chairs around, then pull them both together out in front of the umbrellas into the sun. If we wanted shade, we were out of luck most of the time. This was the case by the pools as well. We usually found places to sit eventually, but by afternoon we would be wanting shade and there usually was none with chairs available.
We wanted to try out some of the other pools in the complex, but never really got around to it.
Entertainment – We didn’t really participate in any activities, as most of the pool/beach side activities seemed rather dull and no one else would do it. I give the staff credit, they try to get people involved. Maybe if they offered nice prizes or something, I dunno.
We did go see the Mexican Fiesta thing one night at the Hacienda, and walked out halfway through. It was very boring to both of us, and we weren’t the only ones walking out. Save your $15 each. They literally let off 4 fireworks at the end of a boring show. The best part of the entire thing was the beginning, when they had men come up on stage and wear a Sombrero and take shots of tequila. At least it was funny.
Misc – One of the best instances we had was, after dinner at Portofino one night, as we were walking around Coba, we decided to lay in one of the hammocks there by the pool. We ended up peacefully laying there in the dark together with nothing but the sounds of night, and it was very nice. It’s a great area after dark, and I highly recommend it. I also recommend the large gazebo type structure at the beach behind Tequila. We took a lot of pictures there at sunset, and it was lovely.

Overall – We will definitely go back, but next time we will book for 2 weeks. Flying that far (and that pricey) just isn’t worth it for 1 week, especially when your first and last days are going to be spend travelling. I do think I had my expectations a tad too high from reading on here often, and was a bit disappointed in some things. That’s why I wish we could give half stars, as to be this place is above a 4 star, but it fell just short of perfect, so I’d give it a 4.5 if I could.

Room Tip: We had a room just behind the lobby, was nice to have quick access to everything, and wasn't too...
Brockville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Ok. My goal: a peaceful relaxing vacation with opportunities to see attractions and feel safe. Result: Absolute success. This is the second time we have visited the Sian Ka'an. We had a choice to go to Cuba, the Dominican for the same value. It was an easy choice: the Sian Ka'an. Excellent accommodations; top notch service; tons of choices for activities. The resort has expanded. You have unlimited a la cartes for all four Gran Bahia resorts (Sian Ka'an, Coba, Tulum, Akumal). Choice of pools, buffetts, etc. My recommendation: the Makido, the Maiko, Don Pablo, the Akul. Incredible food at all the restaurants. We didn't get a chance to use the spa so I can't tell you about that. The staff is amazing. Everyone always has a smile and is morre than willing to make sure you have a fantastic vacation. A special thank you to Juan Carlos, Eglaydi, Oscar, Ricardo, Eric, and... well... the list goes on. Thank you for making our trip a memorable one. If you golf, a Trent Jones course. Unbelievable. We took the local shuttle to Playa del Carmen for a couple of days of shopping. Only $3 US. Met lots of people from England, Canada, US and of course the local residents. Everyone was very helpful. The separate beach area for Sian Ka'an goers was amazing. No line ups for drinks; excellent service; beautiful beach. The beach is huge. We walked all the way to the Be Live Hamica resort and back. Endless paridise! Even the tram drivers were fun. Lots of smiles and jokes. We also worked out at the Coba gym. Get there early if you are planning on going. The enetertainment was fantastic at all the resorts. We only had a couple of nights that we took advantage of. The M.J. show was great. The Dolphinaris show is amazing. You don't have to go off the resort to swim with the dolphins. Make sure you get to take in the karyoki (at the Coba). Lots of fun! If you go to the Sian Ka'an, you have the best of all the resorts. Don't be afraid to provide some gratuity. The staff work extremely hard. The maids have incredible towel art. Even the staff who stock your fridge. Make sure you show your appreciation. Planning on going back!!!

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for buildings 1-6. If you like to party, ask for the high numbered buildings...
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We just got back from GBP Sian Ka'an and highly recommend it to everyone.

The BEST part of staying there is that you get access to anything in the other three resorts, but they're not able to come to Sian Ka'an. That might sound a little snobby but it's not meant to be that way. The other resorts are much much larger and therefore the pools, beaches and buffets can be really busy. You can escape back to SK for a little bit more quiet when you feel like it.

The downside is yes you need to get shuttles back and forth - they're pretty frequent leaving SK - but sometimes you have to wait a little bit longer leaving the other resorts. I think the longest we waited was 10 min from Tulum once. Just keep asking the drivers - you will likely get the response "Next one goes to Sian Ka'an". Once I jokingly said "You're the 4th guy in a row to tell me that!" which got him on the radio and one showed up within a couple of minutes. You could see some people getting annoyed at the wait, but you're on vacation! It's Mexico!! Relax - have a drink - nothing to get worked up about.

Pool/Beach - SK has a reserved section of the beach right beside the Tulum beach. It's quite large and has it's own bar which is great. We liked the pool at Akumal and Tulum with the typical problem of people holding chairs that they're not using. We went with this rule of thumb - if no one is there and they've only left towels - the seats are fair game. There are signs all over saying not to reserve chairs. We grabbed a few chairs by doing this and no one EVER came back to claim the chair was their's, so just do it. Again - if you want a quieter pool experience head back to SK - the pool furthest from the lobby is the "party" pool with entertainment etc. The closer you get to the lobby the quieter the pool gets.

Room - the room was great. Architecture and design is very non Mexico resort looking. The bed was pretty firm - too firm for my liking, but some like it that way. The room was well cleaned every day. We left some money and a note the first day requesting a few extras in the mini-bar which they didn't give, so that was a bit disappointing, but not a deal breaker. People have mentioned having issues with hot water - we didn't have one single problem - got hot water every time we needed it.

Restaurants - I had head good things about the Brazilian restaurant and when we went to book it the first morning we were told it was booked for the entire week and we couldn't get in. That was a bit of a drag - no sure how it's possible either. We went to Alux, the gourmet restaurant in SK and were told it was the best of them all. The appetizers and soup were pretty good, but the main courses weren't great. The service and food in the buffet are really good. The buffets in the other resorts are larger, but that's not to say that the one in SK is small by any means. Oh and if you see the waitress in the bar wandering around with the Spanish Coffee cart - have one. It's excellent!

Entertainment - Have to say the entertainment in SK isn't all that great. Every evening it was the same young woman and man playing the same songs - him with a guitar and a computer playing backing tracks. Maybe they might want to switch it up so we don't have to hear the same every night. SK doesn't have a theater like the other resorts so if you want to see some of the shows you can make the trip over there - some of them are pretty good and there's a big board at the pool near the entrance to Alux that shows what is on at which theater.

If you want a drink after midnight in Sian Ka'an you can go to the Snack Bar but that is it. I was surprised that everything closed that early, but if you want to be out longer than that then head to the Hacienda - lots of places to drink there.

So would I go back to Sian Ka'an? Definitely. I think there are parts of the other resorts I like better (Lobby bar and pools at Tulum for sure) however if you're at Sian Ka'an you get access to all those things and the rooms are nicer, so there's no downside!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pool side - I don't think the jungle side would have the best views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!