“The best of everything!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Strasburg, Pennsylvania
“The best of everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is by far the best resort I have visited. The food is fantastic, it's high quality and fresh. Last night, they served lobster, shrimp, and alaskan king crab legs on their buffet menu! The bedsheets got changed daily, the rooms are very well kept, no dust to be seen anywhere. The grounds are constantly being kept up with, just a beautiful place to be. It's relaxing and low key, I will be coming back, for sure. This resort is more for the adult crowed. I would recommend one of the the other 3 resorts if you are planning to travel with children.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This property on the Grand Principe Bahia complex south of Cancun is but one month old. (The 3 other resorts on the complex are more established, and larger.) The vegetation (actively being planted and cultivated) has yet to grow to full height, but everything else is fantastic! It is not on the beach, but other beaches are but a 10-15 (free) shuttle ride away. And the quiet around the pools is it's own treat. (This resort is on what we are told is a very fine golf course, but as non-golfers we came for the sun and the water and the pampered feelings a good all-inclusive provides.)
The pools are not as large as those in the other three resorts in the complex but, again, the larger pools are but a 10-15 (free) shuttle ride away. And the ones here are quiet and full of readers. Servers bring drinks to guests at poolside (unlike at the other resorts in which the guests fetch their own drinks from pool bars.). And at the private beach reserved for Sian Ka'an guests drinks are also brought by servers (unlike at the others).
Beach towels at all beaches on the complex are free and unlimited. Lounge chairs are readily available, most under thatched umbrellas for those who wish shade.
As for the food--it is fantastic with lots of extras (such as capers and pickled onions at breakfast and lunch buffets). Buffets are available at each resort (and you can visit around) for all meals and they all have all-day poolside fare as well. If you wish an ala carte dining experience, as we did, you can reserve at any of some 12-15 options among the four properties. We sampled a different restaurant each night and were only disappointed by one soup in one place (clam chowder in El Pescador).
One more fine thing: the all-inclusive drinks include many brands not usually included (Beefeaters gin, Absolut vodka). We plan to come back next year!

Room Tip: Check out the hot water at first; ours wasn't functioning but this was fixed by the evening.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Just got back from a trip to the Gran Bahia Sian Ka'an Resort in Akumal Mexico. We were there for 7 days in early January (1/5 - 1/12/2012) and really enjoyed our stay.
Before I get into my report I want to preface it with the fact that we have acutally brought a house down in the Tao development associated with Sian Ka'an so we went down there with high hopes and expectations.
With that said all of our expectations were greatly exceeded. Gran Bahia is a high end resort with 4 complexes within its boundaries (Tulum, Coba, Akumal and seperately Sian Ka'an). We stayed in the Sian Ka'an complex and was very pleased with the resort. When you stay at the main GBP resort you are able to access all three of the locations (Tulum, Akumal & Coba). If you vacation in Sian Ka'an you can also go to all of the other complexes, but vacationers from the other three complexes are not allowed to use the Sian Ka'an facilities. This allows you to enjoy a quieter vacation (if you want), but still have access to all of the usual resort activies being held at the other sites.

PROS

Grounds:

Absolutely beautiful resort that is immaculately kept. During our stay there I did not see one piece of trash laying around. There were people constantly grooming the grounds. It is a very large resort spread out over quite a large area, but there are shuttles running constantly. I don't think we had to wait for more than 5 minutes to catch a ride to any of the other areas.

Rooms:

Very modern and well maintained. Nice sitting area with a flat screen TV. Bed was on the hard side, but I had no problem sleeping on it. Bathroom was very modern with walk-in shower, marble sink tops, make-up mirror, hair dryer and upscale toilettries. Only one robe was in the room so that seemed a bit odd. I imagine that we could have gotten another if we wanted but we didn't bother. Room had a built in safe. I have read that at the other sites you had to pay a fee to use it, but at Sian Ka'an we did not. Coffee maker and min bar also in room. Only problem we had was with mini bar (see CONS below).

Food/Drinks:

Four restaurants on site (2 Gourmet 1 Buffet and 1 snack bar open til midnight). At the other 3 locations I think if you stayed 1 week you got to make 3 or 4 reservations to the gourmet restaurants. At Sian Ka'an we were able to make reservations for every night we were there. We enjoyed eating at the Alux (International Cuisine) in Sian Ka'an, the La Gran Tortuga (Brazilian) at Tulum, the Arlequin (International) at Akumal, the Le Gourmet (International) at Coba and the Portifino (Italian) at Coba. We also ate at the Mikado (Japanese Hibachi) at Coba but was not impressed with their food. There also is a Japanese restaurant at Sian Ka'an (Maiko) that was suppose to be very good, but we did not get a chance to go there. Food quality at all but the Mikado was excellent. The Mikado was more of a show event, but food was okay. See CONS below for comment on buffets. All kinds of drinks were available. I did not have any problem with ordering top shelf brands. Potency of drinks seemed fine to me.

Service:

Was very impressed with the friendliness of the staff. We arrived on Thursday about 1 PM and did not have to wait at all for check-in (5 minutes max for the whole process). Our room was not ready, but we went to the buffet for lunch and sat at the bar for a drink and when we came back to the Front Desk everything was ready. Everyone we encountered was very outgoing. You learned the meaning of Hola and Coma esta very quickly because everyone said it to you. Neither my wife or I speak very much Spanish (I am taking a course so I know a little), but we had no problems communicating with everyone there. In fact, when we sat down at the bar the bartenders were actually trying to teach me words and phrases. Check Out was the same as Check In (5 minutes max).

Beach/Pools:

Sian Ka'an has three pools on site. Lots of loungers around them. Did not see any problem with getting a chaise whenever you wanted. Pools were clean and well maintained. Centrally located bar to all pools so you didn't have to go far for a drink. The beach really impressed us. At Sian Ka'an they have a private reserved beach area with direct shuttle service for their guests. Lots of loungers with shade. These did fill up quickly, but we were able to find loungers at 9 AM when we went down there. The beach was kept immaculate. Every morning there were several people out raking and cleaning it. They even had a guy go out in the water with a milk carton crate and sieve off the seaweed in the water. It is very fine white sand that is comfortable to walk on even during the hottest part of the day. I would suggest you bring one of those large insulated mugs with you to keep your drinks cold. They tend to warm up quickly. We never had a problem with the bartenders not filling ours up.

CONS:

Only a couple of negatives to report. One was with the mini bar. The first couple of days we had no problem. They had coke, diet coke, orange soda, beer, water and chips. Also had a couple of those mini liquor bottles (gin, scotch, tequilla and vodka). About the 3rd day they stopped replenishing the bar. Went down to the front desk and they said they would take care of it. Not done for 2 days. Not a big issue but it should have been taken care of right away, not two days later.

Second negative, and it really isn't a negative but a comment, deals with the buffet at Sian Ka'an. The buffet was quite good, (plenty of seating, nice airy atmosphere, good food) but it seemed to have a smaller selection than the other buffets at the 3 other locations. We ended up going over to the other areas for lunch. Again not a big issue, but wanted to mention it.

This was an excellent resort and we cannot wait until we can move down there full time. If we were not moving down here we would definitely come back. I know this is a rather long note, but I wanted to pass on my full impression of the resort.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We were a couple in our mid-thirties, and were looking to find a great 4* hotel on the Cancun strip, since I had stayed only stayed in the Mayan riviera. However we couldn't pass up a great deal by AirCanada vacations and chose Sian Kaan. It is new and I guess they are promoting it to get the word out.

Everything felt top notch. I love the zen-like look and feel of the resort; modern, crisp white, nestled in a lush garden. The room was extremely comfortable, the service impeccable, the private beach with service was fantastic and the tram service was never a problem. It was nice to explore the loud and colorful adjacent resorts for a bit, but it was even nicer to come back to spa-like Sian Kaan and indulge in a Capuccino with Bayleys and other premium brands at the end of the day.
If I have to critique something... well the fact that nowhere on Gran Bahia property can you find a heated pool or jacuzzi. It was too chilly to go in the pool in the first days so a jacuzzi would have been amazing. In Sian Kaan you can get a private one by paying more, but in my opinion it is not worth the 500$ more per week. But seriously, that's it as far a negative, and I consider myself picky. It was a wonderful 9 days and we feel extremely lucky to have stumble upon this, in fact, I don't know how I will go back to 4 stars after this. Hopefully they keep up this excellent service past the introductory phase.

Room Tip: The buffet was by far better than any a la carte (some of the highlights where king crab some nights...
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is a beautiful, quiet resort which is partnered with 3 more rowdy resorts. It was the perfect combination. All 4 resorts are clean and beautifully maintained. The 3 other resorts (Tulum, Coba, and Akumal) have more activities and are more family oriented. This one is smaller and quieter. We chose to stay at this one and play at the others. It made for a terrific combination!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Hubby and I just got back from celebrating our 12th anniversary at Sian Ka'an and honestly, it was better than our honey moon in Cozumel in 2000! This place is near perfect and any small changes we might have made were slight in comparison to all the things they did right. The only annoyance was having NO dresser in the room, which means that non-hanging items stayed in the suitcase. I don’t like feeling that I’m living out of a suitcase, and this property is too nice for that. But…let’s move on to the good stuff. The food was wonderful; we dined at Maiko and Alux (at Sian Ka’an). Other nights were spent at restaurants on the other properties: Mikado, Gran Tortuga and Don Pablo. The other two nights were at the Sian Ka’an buffet. Gran Tortuga was a disappointment but all other meals were excellent.
The best part about this place is the people. The members of the Animation Team became fast friends and we looked forward to spending time with them every day. It’s because of them that we only left the property one time, because all the fun was right there! Oscar, Claudia, Luis, Brisa, Jocelyn and Angel…we miss you! The bartenders, servers, public relations people (Vanessa) and our reps through Olympus Tours (Brenda and Alex) were always helpful and extremely friendly as well. I should also mention that Denise (through CheapCaribbean) was great in helping me to book this - we would have never found this gem without her.
When you stay at Sian Ka’an, you have access to the three other resorts (Tulum, Coba and Akumal) but I liked our property the best. I loved the private beach and all the beach games that the animation team organized. There was always something to do, but it was just as easy to spend hours at the beach reading a book. Each property has their own area of expertise (families, nightlife, etc.) and Sian Ka’an is there for upscale relaxation. It got pretty quiet after sundown but for those who want to go to a party or a show will easily find those things just a quick shuttle ride away. That being said, this place was a LOT of fun. We woke up every morning, meandered to the buffet, met a bunch of new friends and let the day happen to us, rather than planning out our day in advance.
This was the perfect trip and I hope no one reads this so that it will always be our little secret. Don’t go! :-)

Room Tip: Spring for the jacuzzi if you can afford the extra charge.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Just returned from a 10 day vacation! Our family traveled all over the world and has been to Cancun-Mayan Reviera area numerous times.
Resort is a true five star property. Food can only be compared with a gourmet buffet at the Las Vegas Bellagio or any other Sunday Champaigne Brunch. We were served Alaskan King Crab, king shrimp, cheese platters with many different cheese choices, lobster tails, roasted lamb and duck and many different dessert choices. Property is a new, modern style construction with it's own private beach. Golf cart takes you from the lobby directly to the beach in 6 min. We got a special deal through ------------------- and it was worth every penny. We are prepared to pay 30-50% more next time and it will still be worth it. It's exclusive and unique property that is closed to guests of other Bahia Principe resorts. However, Sian Ka'an guests are welcome to visit all other parts of the resort. Don't waiste your time looking for better food. Sian Ka'an offers the best of everything. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Villa 20 is away from the noise and hassle of the front reception.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!