“Connecting with Nature” 4 of 5 stars
Review of organic yoga

and 1 more site!
You added organic yoga to your Saves list
organic yoga
Rancho San Martint km 256, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Akumal B&B and Inns
South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
“Connecting with Nature”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Beautiful winding pathways under the trees. A nice garden of food being tended. I was at a meditation retreat in this lovely space and thoroughly enjoyed it. While it is fairly close to the highway, I didn't at any point in the three days there notice road noise. I love the decoration as you walk the paths, reused and repurposed materials adding beauty to the natural world. Yes you will see nature here, but it is nothing to be afraid of, I felt it enhanced the experience.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
leon s, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hi Kirsten thank you for your review and letting ravelers know about the eal value of Organic Yoga...hope to see you again in another retreat or just to do yoga...take care .....Leon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Carbondale, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Leon is a kind and warm host who was most welcoming and helpful. The center is small and intimate with an eye to aesthetic beauty. It is in the jungle, so even though it is close to the highway and an easy walk to the many collectivos buzzing up and down the highway, be aware that you need to be comfortable with the natural world that inhabits the jungle. Geckos, salamanders, spiders and scorpions could make an appearance during your stay. The place is quiet and beautiful. Leon has dogs who are very well behaved and the little one regularly and quietly attends yoga as she is Leon's shadow. I greatly appreciated Leon's yoga teaching style as it was slow and gentle with an emphasis on your breath and internal experience. Leon went over and above his duty to help us during our stay. A beautiful, peaceful and quiet place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
leon s, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hi Jill & Michael sooooo nice to meet you and certanly hope to see you around here again....thank you for spreading out the word!!!!!! leon
Arcata, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Leon is a friendly host who led yoga classes in a beautiful meditation hall and gave us hints about the area. I was glad to have a rental car because it made it easier to explore the more remote beaches. The houses on the grounds are simple and comfortable, with a nice balance of privacy, gardens, and community space.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We went to this place in the middle of the jungle to discover yoga (it was my first time) and take a brake from the usual tourist destinations on Riviera Maya. We took the collectivo and 500 meters after the Serenis Hotel, here we are. Five minutes walk on the dirt road later, we arrived to a fence with a name on it: Organic Yoga. The first thing you notice is the big garden on your left but your attention is distracted by the barking dogs.

We meet Leon, a fantastic yoga teacher with a lot to say about nature and human soul. The place is rustic and handmade by himself. It's a sanctuary well-protected by four adorable dogs. After a quick tour of the proprety, we went to our bungalow. It was cozy with all you need to feel comfortable, including AC. The only thing you have to be prepared for is insects. If you are afraid of them, avoid going there. We were aware of this so it's part of the experience to live in the jungle. This place is for relaxing your mind, focusing on your breathe, get inside yourself... But you have free wifi everywhere if you are afraid of the silence :D

The first night was a little bit scary because we were a little scared of what we saw inside our room but Leon took care of explaining how to manage all this. the second night was perfect and we were a little sad to leave this peaceful place in the jungle. The kitchen was large and well-equiped none the less, the cleanliness of the kitchen could be improved. Leon is a chef and would be happy to cook whatever vegeterian and fish you wish.
If you want to refresh yourself, there's a strong outdoor shower (like the water from cenote) on site so you can use it at will.

Overall a really positive experience. Would come back for a stay anytime. A must for people loving yoga and/or wanting to discover this fabulous experience! Thank you so much Leon for everything!

The yoga class is every morning at 8:30 for a good startup, and is included in the price. Don't forget to bring repellent, flashlight and food if you want to cook ;)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
leon s, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you Dave for a great review and I hope the yoga stays with you!!!!!! chao Luciene take care........
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have stayed here for two weeks and loved this place from the first minute I stepped in. It is situated in Mayan jungle, 15 minutes walk from the highway where you can take collectivo to Akumal(5 min) with its beautiful beach, to relaxed Tulum or more lively Playa del Carmen.
All of the houses are beautifully decorated, having a rustic feel, thatched roofs and a patio where you can have a nap in a hammock during your lunchtime siesta.
The used water from the houses gets filtered the environmentally friendly way and then it is used to water the gardens. There is also an organic garden where Leon-the owner grows vegetables and fruit. If you wish he prepares for you breakfast or dinner with the fresh produce from his garden. I can't forget the sweet,fresh papaya that I had in my breakfast smoothie. It was delicious.
Leon is not just a great cook, but also a yoga teacher. So just let him know where you are in your yoga practice and he will tailor the class according to your abilities.
The whole place is very much alive - there are geckos, little lizards and different insects.
Plus the organic yoga is guarded by Leon's friendly dogs.
So if you like nature and you want to see a real Mexico, then stay here and enjoy Leon's hospitality.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you Anita remember that papayas are waiting for you all year round!!!! hopè to see you very soon ....spread the word!!!!! bbest wishes....Leon
Izamal, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

A very nice place in the Mayan jungle. Leon was a great host and we had a wonderful time and delicious feast. The rooms are unique and beautiful cottages of stone and wood. Organic yoga hosted several events we really enjoyed. It seems a million miles from the glitz and glamour of Playa del Carmen. A nice oasis of gardens and stone. I highly recommend Organic Yoga.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are special.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
thanks Rob hope to see you sometime soon again!!!!!un abrazo......Leon
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I had to re-read the reviews here to see what I missed months ago when I scheduled our trip. I am still not quite sure why our experience was so drastically different than the others. I spoke with Leon several times about the appropriateness of having our two year old son with us at OY. He did have questions for me about our sons adventurous spirit but after our chat we decided that OY sounded just fine for what we were looking for.
First, the insects were a HUGE nuisance. I expected to see spiders, mosquitos, roaches etc... I did not expect to have multiple run-ins with scorpions. This was an issue on a daily basis and became intolerable about 2-3 days into our 10 day trip. I was searching frantically for a place to move to when I finally said something to Leon. He explained his system for fumigating and he agreed that this was something that we should do right away. The fumigating helped a little and I was much happier to deal with dead scorpions than live.
The other big issue we had was with the dogs. I could tolerate the morning barking if it wasn't for the sleepless nights. His big dogs are uneasy around children therefore my son could not run and play outside. So, here we have found ourselves uncomfortable with the inside of our home because of the insects and uncomfortable outside because of the dogs. We chose OY for the feeling of a home base. With a little one, we wanted to have a place to cook, store food and rest and play, much like we would at home. Because of the circumstances, this could not happen. I feel as though Leon used us as a guinea pig to see if he can market to more families.
As for the Yoga. Leon came across as flexible with the schedule though I only practiced with him once and my husband once. All my other Yoga was done alone in the Shala. Leon has developed a nice guided meditation practice and fairly remedial Asana practice. Anyone with a developed Asana practice will be working on their Kshama more than their asana while they are there.
Overall here is the breakdown on pros and cons:
CONS: insects, cleanliness, minimal Yoga, dogs, the plumbing backed up in the shower continuously (we just kept the plunger in there with us)
PROS: location, price
I have a hard time leaving this review because I was hopeful that OY was going to be our place to return to for future visits in the area. I have a healthy awareness of how my words can hurt someones business. That is not at all my intention. Leon asked me several times to leave a review and do feel it is important that others know the truth about the amount of insects they will actually encounter.
If you are the type that would camp in the jungle, or if you are just staying for a short visit with no children, you will be comfortable here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
leon s, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Hi Carissa as I am truly sorry to hear that.... if you really would of tell me I could return to you your money so you could go somehwheer else as for the yoga classes well you semmed to be very bussy every day with your plans going to different places and as for the yoga I teach since the first classs I told you that I am very focused on breathing and meditation while in the asanas ....that for me is yoga...I understand that specially in many yoga schools in the cities they do yoga just to keep the body strong but not the mind and for me yoga is about the mind .
So all I can say is that you should ask for your money instead of putting up with a situation that you didnt feel comfortable with it....I would of gladdly given you back your money.....namaste....

Been to organic yoga? Share your experiences!