“Relaxing Eco Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of organic yoga

and 1 more site!
You added organic yoga to your Saves list
organic yoga
Rancho San Martint km 256, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Akumal B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Eco Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have stayed here for two weeks and loved this place from the first minute I stepped in. It is situated in Mayan jungle, 15 minutes walk from the highway where you can take collectivo to Akumal(5 min) with its beautiful beach, to relaxed Tulum or more lively Playa del Carmen.
All of the houses are beautifully decorated, having a rustic feel, thatched roofs and a patio where you can have a nap in a hammock during your lunchtime siesta.
The used water from the houses gets filtered the environmentally friendly way and then it is used to water the gardens. There is also an organic garden where Leon-the owner grows vegetables and fruit. If you wish he prepares for you breakfast or dinner with the fresh produce from his garden. I can't forget the sweet,fresh papaya that I had in my breakfast smoothie. It was delicious.
Leon is not just a great cook, but also a yoga teacher. So just let him know where you are in your yoga practice and he will tailor the class according to your abilities.
The whole place is very much alive - there are geckos, little lizards and different insects.
Plus the organic yoga is guarded by Leon's friendly dogs.
So if you like nature and you want to see a real Mexico, then stay here and enjoy Leon's hospitality.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you Anita remember that papayas are waiting for you all year round!!!! hopè to see you very soon ....spread the word!!!!! bbest wishes....Leon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Izamal, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

A very nice place in the Mayan jungle. Leon was a great host and we had a wonderful time and delicious feast. The rooms are unique and beautiful cottages of stone and wood. Organic yoga hosted several events we really enjoyed. It seems a million miles from the glitz and glamour of Playa del Carmen. A nice oasis of gardens and stone. I highly recommend Organic Yoga.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are special.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
thanks Rob hope to see you sometime soon again!!!!!un abrazo......Leon
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I had to re-read the reviews here to see what I missed months ago when I scheduled our trip. I am still not quite sure why our experience was so drastically different than the others. I spoke with Leon several times about the appropriateness of having our two year old son with us at OY. He did have questions for me about our sons adventurous spirit but after our chat we decided that OY sounded just fine for what we were looking for.
First, the insects were a HUGE nuisance. I expected to see spiders, mosquitos, roaches etc... I did not expect to have multiple run-ins with scorpions. This was an issue on a daily basis and became intolerable about 2-3 days into our 10 day trip. I was searching frantically for a place to move to when I finally said something to Leon. He explained his system for fumigating and he agreed that this was something that we should do right away. The fumigating helped a little and I was much happier to deal with dead scorpions than live.
The other big issue we had was with the dogs. I could tolerate the morning barking if it wasn't for the sleepless nights. His big dogs are uneasy around children therefore my son could not run and play outside. So, here we have found ourselves uncomfortable with the inside of our home because of the insects and uncomfortable outside because of the dogs. We chose OY for the feeling of a home base. With a little one, we wanted to have a place to cook, store food and rest and play, much like we would at home. Because of the circumstances, this could not happen. I feel as though Leon used us as a guinea pig to see if he can market to more families.
As for the Yoga. Leon came across as flexible with the schedule though I only practiced with him once and my husband once. All my other Yoga was done alone in the Shala. Leon has developed a nice guided meditation practice and fairly remedial Asana practice. Anyone with a developed Asana practice will be working on their Kshama more than their asana while they are there.
Overall here is the breakdown on pros and cons:
CONS: insects, cleanliness, minimal Yoga, dogs, the plumbing backed up in the shower continuously (we just kept the plunger in there with us)
PROS: location, price
I have a hard time leaving this review because I was hopeful that OY was going to be our place to return to for future visits in the area. I have a healthy awareness of how my words can hurt someones business. That is not at all my intention. Leon asked me several times to leave a review and do feel it is important that others know the truth about the amount of insects they will actually encounter.
If you are the type that would camp in the jungle, or if you are just staying for a short visit with no children, you will be comfortable here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
leon s, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Hi Carissa as I am truly sorry to hear that.... if you really would of tell me I could return to you your money so you could go somehwheer else as for the yoga classes well you semmed to be very bussy every day with your plans going to different places and as for the yoga I teach since the first classs I told you that I am very focused on breathing and meditation while in the asanas ....that for me is yoga...I understand that specially in many yoga schools in the cities they do yoga just to keep the body strong but not the mind and for me yoga is about the mind .
So all I can say is that you should ask for your money instead of putting up with a situation that you didnt feel comfortable with it....I would of gladdly given you back your money.....namaste....
Playa del carmen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in Organic Yoga and i fell in love with this place! Nested in the beautifull jungle it is a very relaxing and peacufull place..
It's just a few miles away from some of the nicest beaches of the Riviera Maya (Akumal,Xcacel..) and the centotes area, but far enough from Playa and its traffic and cementification...
It is located between Playa and Tulum, a real perfect location .
Leon, the owner , is a very nice person who helped us so much those days...he gave us many usefull informations. His organic vegetables garden is well cared and the products he growes are used to prepare the best breakfasts we had in Mexico!
I would definetly recomend Organic Yoga to anyone who look for peace and nature during their holidays.
Rooms are big,fresh and well cared in all the details...
I will surely go back again in the future!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
leon s, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
thank you my dear thank you for keeping the good word spread about O.Y.Sincerely Leon.
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My mother and I stayed in OY for three nights and we very much enjoyed it. I loved lying in the hammock at our private terrace in the evening and listening to the sounds of birds and insects. We had an interesting morning yoga class with Leon (included in the room price). All in all, it was very peaceful and relaxing.
We were put in Shakti house and it was comfortable and cosily decorated, with a large nice bathroom and enough furniture like sofas, coffee table, chairs and wardrobe. Probably because of the time of the year, we didn’t see any mosquitoes at all. There were various other insects in the evening (like beetles, crickets etc), but they were not bothering. We once saw a rather big spider which frightened us a bit, but Leon said it was harmless. A few warning words, though. The bed is not really queen-sized, it is smaller. It was OK for me and my mom, but for somebody bigger it would be more challenging. We are about 1.55 m tall and our feet were touching the very edge of the bed. Also, the geckos that live in the thatched roof leave their droppings on the floor all the time (and, occasionally, on the sofa and coffee table), so make sure to cover all the clothes, books etc.
A few words about the location for those who don't have a car. This place is a good base for exploring the surrounding area: you walk to the highway, catch a collectivo (we never waited more than 3 minutes, the price is 20-30 pesos depending on the distance you want to travel) and it takes you 15-20 minutes to get to various cenotes, eco-parks, caves or Tulum ruins. It’s a bit inconvenient that there are no shops or restaurants within a walking distance, but Leon serves delicious dinners and healthy breakfasts. However, if you intend to spend your time primarily on the beach, I would recommend staying in the beachfront area in Akumal as walking to the highway, taking a collectivo and then walking again from the highway to the beach is a bit tiring. A taxi from Akumal to Organic Yoga was 200 pesos.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Marquette, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Want to stay in a nice air conditioned resort on the beach and watch tv? Then don't stay here! This place is an amazing little retreat in the middle of the jungle. And it is close to everything that you need (food, beach, stores, the highway, etc.). If you really want to experience the Yucatan, than you need to do it the real way and stay in a Mayan hut, away from the touristy mumbo jumbo. You get your own hut with a screened in porch. The water pressure is really strong in the bathrooms and everything is very clean. It is a bit rustic if you aren't used to camping. There are bugs and geckos but there is a nice bug net over the bed, so it's not a big deal (remember, you are in the jungle). The gardens and pathways around the property are beautiful. Leon and his pack of friendly dogs are very welcoming. We spent a night making our own dinner in the shared kitchen area, talking to Leon about travels and life. We had a yoga session in the morning and it was enlightening. Lovely place that is truly unique. I would recommend this to anyone that wants to get away from the touristy areas and experience true Mexican culture.

Room Tip: keep your bug net closed and you wont be bothered by the bugs.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
leon s, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Hi Aurora & Nick great photos thank you!!!....spread the word!!!! sure hope to see you around here again have funnnnnnnn!!!!! warm hugges....Leon.
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We were looking for some yoga experience for our first trip to Mexico and it was great to do the Yoga in the middle of jungle in Mexico.

It is locating about 1 hour driving to south from Cancun, close to Akuml which is a little quite town but you will find beautiful beach and great scuba diving or snorkeling spot.

My girlfriend and I stayed for a week for the Christmas Vacation. There is a few bungalow including the owner, Leon's house in a Jungle, but it has great privacy and even you have your own car park and entrance.

It gets really dark after the sunset, so it's good to have your torch or headlamp. The room was very clean and the friendly owner Leon spent years to built but it is really eco-friendly and organic house. You will find so much ideas if you pay attention to the room.

Bed was a little bit too short for us, so feet will be in the edge of the bed, but other than that, everything was was really wonderful and romantic. If you are not camping or outdoor person, you will have problem with bug and mosquitoes, but we enjoyed the cute gecko sound and firefly flushing in the room when were in the bed. So, be sure to have a citronella candles.

Tulum is closest town from Organic Yoga, if you are looking for more local and hippy or laid back experience, Tulum is great to shop and eat.

Leon is also great chef and food, we enjoyed the meal and the Christmas Ayurveda dinner was just brilliant, great family atmosphere, we enjoyed so much.

We just realized at almost end of our trip, the range of price at OY is not bad at all. You feel Mexico will be cheap compare to US or Canada, but the truth of the price range is pretty high and it is for tourists even you are away from Cancun. Once you looked around the Cancun area, you will realize most restaurants with the English Menu are overpriced. Enjoy the local meals but do not hesitate to spend money for the meal at Organic Yoga when you are tired of eating Mexican food. It is definitely worth it.

カンクンから約1時間ほど南下した場所にある、アクマルという地域にあるオーガニックヨガは、少し分かりにくい場所にありますが、しっかりとサインを見ていれば分かる範囲で、本当に人気のない、ジャングルの中にあります。スペイン語やメキシカンのハイテンションで疲れたら、帰ってくるとほっとできるとても素敵なバンガローです。ヨガの先生でもあり、シェフでもあるレオンはとてもフレンドリーで、色んな文化に興味があるので、日本人やアジア人にも興味津々で、醤油やわさびなど、サルサ以外のアジア食もあるので、メキシコ料理に疲れても安心。ちなみに、近場では、トゥルムに日本食屋さんもあるので、ついつい寿司を求めて足を運んでしまいました。笑

結局1週間滞在したのですが、居心地も良くて、カップルやファミリーにもとてもオススメですが、虫や蚊も多いので、虫除けや蚊取り線香は必須です。アウトドア好きやキャンプ好きの人にとっては、最高の環境ですが、慣れていないとちょっと大変かも。夜は真っ暗なので、ヘッドライト等があると便利でした。それ以外はむしろ、就寝時に蛍が部屋の中に入ってきて、ベッドからチカチカと光る姿はとてもロマンチックでしたよ♪

ゴハンも美味しいし、オーガニックヨガでの食事はやや高めに感じますが、観光地プライスの外のレストランと比べると完全にリーズナブルなので、メキシコ料理に飽きたら、レオンの食事がオススメです。

オーガニックファームや、コンポスティング、ガーデニングにも工夫がされ、LOHASの勉強にもなるとても素敵な宿泊施設だと思います。

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
leon s, Owner at organic yoga, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Hi Kodai thank you for your great review and in the name of all travelers thank you indeed for up dating what is really important to all travelers....have a wonderful life!!!!! by the way I love that you wrote the review in japanese......best wishes to you & Naomi.....Sincerely Leon.

Been to organic yoga? Share your experiences!