“Don't eat raw seafood” 4 of 5 stars

Description: great
California
“Don't eat raw seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We took a bus ride out to Punta Mita the other day and ate at Tino's. We have eaten at 4 of the Tino's locations over the years because their seafood is delicious. This time, we were going to eat an early dinner. We ordered seafood cocktails. They were large and delicious, except for the raw oysters. We normally don't eat raw oysters in Mexico and we shouldn't have let our guards down. The oysters tasted very salty. When we got back to our condo, my husband felt nauseated. As the night wore on, he started throwing up numerous times. Then, he got the runs. I seemed fine. The next morning, I had the runs, chills, my body ached all over and I had a headache. I spent the entire day in the condo and had to go to bed at 2 pm covered up completely because of the chills. Today, I am feeling better and I'll see if someone here can call Tino's to warn them. It might be too late because we got sick two days ago.

Tino's is excellent. Just don't eat their raw seafood and ask what's in their seafood cocktail. Ours included raw oysters and scallops.

This event won't stop us from returning. We'll just make sure we order cooked seafood!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Over priced average food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I decided to try Marisco Tino's after eating at two excellent restaurants (Si Senor and Rosa Mexicano) in Punta Mita and we were very disappointed. I realize that September is the low season in Punta Mita and it was obvious that they were struggling to get customers into their restaurant as were the other establishments in town. The big difference is that Rosa's and Si Senor went out of their way to do more for you, while Marisco Tino's just tried to up sell and charge you more for your meal. I wanted to try the surf and turf which was priced at $305 pesos and the waiter wanted to sell me a larger lobster tail for an additional $800 pesos. I declined and said I will just have it with the shrimp which is supposed to be their specialty. He once again said they had better shrimp then those that are used in the surf/turf dinner. At this point we should have walked out but I decided to give them a chance. That was a mistake. My wife ordered a shrimp entree and when both meals were served the shrimp were exactly the same on both plates. All were over cooked and bland. However when the check arrived I ended up being charged for two dinners, one steak dinner and a second "special" shrimp dinner. When I asked why I was not charged just for the surf and turf plus whatever the "special" shrimp added I was told that their computer could not process that?? In any event I am crossing this place off my list of places to eat in Punta Mita. By the way, it was our most expensive meal while in Punta Mita and by far the worst I have had in Mexico in quite some time.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Very relaxing atmosphere. Great food and service. Would recommend to everyone. Try something different. The fish is fresh, and fantastic. They will cook it any way you prefer. Very friendly

Visited September 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Decent food at a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

The seafood was great and the beer ice cold. The view being right at the beach wasn't too shabby either. Prices for two of us having lobster and giant shrimp including beers was right at $50, what a bargain.

Visited August 2012
North Bergen, New Jersey
“Service Right Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Most restaurants in Puerto Vallarta are not known for their fast service. Tino's is the exception. The food may not always match the excellent service, but it's usually pretty good.

Visited August 2012