“I will go back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   C/ Carretera Punta de Mita Km 11.5, Punta de Mita 63734, Mexico (Formerly Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Punta de Mita
Kelowna, Canada
“I will go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed 7 days and found the hotel to be clean and very nice. Even though two of the 4 of us did get the stomach flu that was going around , luckily it hit us on the last day and we got home for the worst of it. This is a smaller resort then we have visited in the past and found that we like it better then the huge resorts , the staff is friendly and they get to know you quickly . Alberto and Martin are a lot of fun and I highly suggest seeking out there section at the buffet for breakfast and lunch.
The beach is the best I have been too it has great waves for surfing and boogy boarding but still a totally safe area for young kids to play in the ocean. Be carefull snorkling there are some strange tides and Sea Urchins everywhere on the reef.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Alejandro C, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear GDW5959,
I would like to thank you for your nice comments about your last holidays with us in Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa. I am so sorry that your last day of stay two of your group had stomach pains and I hope they recover soon at home.
I am glad that you and your group enjoyed your stay with us. For us is gratifying to know that our guest enjoyed their vacations and we are providing our best services for them.
Thank you again for your remarks and we hope to see you again in the future.
Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Home last night...my first comment will be...take some pills for the stomach virus that is going around in the resort!!! I just read the notes from Harry R. and two people in our party of 4 got this virus!! We also heard of many more as we talked to other vacationers. My husband was the sickest I have ever seen him, we had two visits with the doctor. He still isn't up to feeling himself. My girlfriend came down with it just as we landed at home, unfortunate for the staff at the airport, it hits you that fast and VERY hard! We did see them wiping down the pool area with what we believed was bleach but it was too late for us, that set us back 2 days of our 7. With that all said and done we enjoyed the rest of our stay. The beds are amazingly comfortable, my husband can confirm that!!! When we arrived the smell of sewage was overwhelming in the #1 building, we asked to be moved as we couldn't even open our door, we ended up with a beautiful room on the 1st floor with our own patio, I love to sit out on the patio so we were glad to have a main floor room, our friends patio was useless as the wall is high so you must stand and the area is way to small they also had alot of bugs. The smell disappeared very quickly after our complaint, but we still avoided walking on the second floor for most of our trip. The beach offers so much!!! The surfers, boogie boards (which were always available!), the wonderful walled salt water swim for children, and always a chair to settle in!!! The adult pool is peaceful and the view is to die for! The people who work in this hotel are so amazing...Wow...not a complaint to be said about any, I wish I had wrote down all of their names to give them credit!!! Mattheius you stand out big time for all of us! Eddie...the bell man that introduced us to the resort, explaining where things were as he pushed the mountain of luggage for us! The check in people were organized and polite, I had read reviews on Elisabeth before we left and actually watched for her and met her the last day, she was perfect not as the ones I had read, we all have a off day! I certainly wouldn't want to have to use a wheelchair there, not set up for that! 50 stairs to our room from the beach, but that was good for us...all that food! The doctor on site, I will call him Dr. George, was fast to come to our room and fabulous to deal with! The Lifegaurd on duty, amazing, and he did have to watch, there are many rocks in the water, and the waves can be very powerful! The bars are set up perfectly and well stocked. A must go to is Hemmingways, we played cards most nights as I found the shows not always that entertaining, but that will change for everyone. I read comments that the food was cold in the buffet, we must have been to a different buffet, no problem there! However if you want to warm shower don't bother unless you are up early. Bring a clock if you care about time however the ipod dock does have a small clock, and the computers in the sports bar keep your credit running so you can go on anytime, very convenient to use! The zoo, there are many worse places for these animals to be, they had food and water and were loved by the guests, if you read the signs they explain that these animals have come to live here as they were basically saved from another sad living, the cages could be bigger, it is always sad for me to see any animal caged up..however... My thoughts: would we return...unless we got a super duper cheap price maybe...my husband is a definite NO...but as far as staff is concerned, you don't get any better than that!!!

Room Tip: Building 1 is the best for location for both pools, we never heard any noise from outside except for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Heidi K
First of all, I am sorry that your stay with us was a disappointed one. I read attentively your review and I would like to add some comments. I can assure you that the hotel follows take very seriously everything regarding food and drinks. Unfortunately there are many possibilities that can affect to our guests or even our employees. Eating food you are not used to, mixing drinks and meals stronger than usual, etc.; if you have a few margaritas, beers, pinas coladas, etc., you are under the sun for hours and hours, etc., etc., etc. This is a serious combination. No matter all we do to prevent any problem, since the moment the commodity arrives to the hotel, when we check conditions, temperatures, etc, during the several processes since then to when you are eating or drinking; no matter how hard we train or staff, all of them even before they start working in the kitchen or in any department. We just need one simple person not cleaning properly his hands to contaminate a simple portion of food. This is, for example, what happens when members of the same party have exactly the same food but only one gets sick. The handle of a door that it’s infected, even for another guest, can cause problems; virus that similar to the flu floating in the environment can pass from a person to other causing symptoms such as diarrhea, general discomfort, stomach aches, etc, etc., etc. There are people who came from home already infected. Yes, even from food eaten at home, at the airport, etc. The symptoms of food poisoning not always appear immediately after having eaten the food. If I am not wrong that can happen even after 72 hours.
I am glad to know our doctor service take action immediately with your partner and you and your partner enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. For us is so important to know our guests experience in order to correct any inconvenience as soon as possible.
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The staff were for the most part, extremely helpful. Above and beyond were Alberto (buffet), Armando and Amatius at the pool side bars. The meals were great, however we found the service at the Bambu restaurant very rushed and unfriendly.

When we booked we requested a non-smoking room with a king size bed in Building 1 or 2. When we arrived, we were told the resort was full and we ended up on the main floor, at the end of building 3, a smoking room with 2 double beds. Room was very musty smelling, broken lamps and a broken garbage can in the bathroom.

Low battery in the safe which took them a day to fix, housekeeping left our room unlocked twice and one time it was both the main room door and the patio door. Makes you wonder what we were being set up for but more importantly a general sense of uneasiness. Hard to relax on a vacation when you are worried about your room.

First and last time at this resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Darlene2013
Thank you for your comments regards our services and staff. For us is so important to know or guests opinions and improve our services day to day. I would like to apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay.
Regards your request we cannot guarantee any special room because it depends on the availability. I am really sorry if we could not offer a room in building 1 or 2. Nevertheless we always try to offer same service and attention to all guests in all rooms. I am really sorry for the inconveniences suffered in your room. I will take note in order to correct those things immediately.
Again thank you for your comments and I hope to have the opportunity to host you in a future and change your first impression. Just let us know in advance.
Langley, bc canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We just came back from a seven day stay. I am not a fussy person that needs to be pampered and I appreciate hard work and great service. I will explain some of the good points and some of the bad points. I will try to be unbiased and at the end tell you what I think of the resort.
1- The people are friendly and work hard for every tip. If you appreciate their hard work they will do extra because they know you appreciate. Would they be this nice without a tip, I would like to think so. People that gave great service were Jorje at Ribs and More, Javier in the buffet for dinner, Mayte for cleaning our room and the towel design, Franchesca and Vanessa sisters that we really liked very much serving us drinks, Virginia at the A la carte restaurant, Cesar that works in the breakfast buffet.
2- This resort says that A La Carte restaurants are first come first serve but when you come without a reservation they will not let you in. Unless you are Royal Suites, Imperial Club or Palladium Club, if you are in this group you get special treatment and do not require a reservation. I asked to have a reservation for the Beach Barbeque but was told it was full. I went to see the restaurant and there were numerous tables empty. I mentioned this to Omar the Concierge who said yes these tables were left unfilled and that we would be on the list for the next Barbeque. When the time came we were not on the list. I complained a bit and was given a ticket for the Barbeque. I felt sorry for a young family that kept on getting told they are full when in fact tables were open. I said they should speak up and they were eventually allowed a spot. The concierge says it is first come first serve but show up without a ticket and you will not get in. They leave spaces open for the special customers and clubs. The rules say that you must wear long pants and shoes. With every a la carte I was dressed up while club members could come in bathing suit, t shirt, flip flops and drunk. The last a la carte I decided to wear dress shorts and nice sandles with a collared shirt. I was told I could not come in. I said this is not fair and they allowed me this time but never again. I am thinking what the heck, if you don't belong to a club you get treated differently. The Ribs and more, Beach Barbeque and the Bambo are fantastic food that will stuff your stomach. The dinner in the buffet was always cold. The breakfast was very good and so was the snack bar for lunch.
3- In the resort about 40 people got a stomach virus and sick for two days. While we were looking at the royal suites pool with our friends they started fogging the restaurant with diazinon which fogged us out of the area. I don't know if they cleaned off the tables. Our friends also had a scorpion in their room on the third floor. How does that happen.
4-I wrote a letter to Ana Castro telling her of the great service that I received from her staff the first few days. I told her that everyone I see was working very hard. I asked for an upgrade and was told for $100 more per day I could go to the Royal Suites, our friends said not to as it was not worth it. I was told $30 a day more so I could have a room looking at the ocean, I declined. A club member was offered the presidential suite for $30 more per day and they grabbed it.
5- The rooms are very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The balcony is useless as it only fits one chair on the curved balcony. Sit in the chair and you look at a wall.
6- We went to the nightly shows but were left scratching our heads at what we say, kids jumping around and the odd little sing and dance to a song. The show is not that good. The music at the bar was pretty good. The disco was empty every night. We checked every night and it was empty.
7-We enjoyed our stay and we tipped all of the employees very well throughout the week. When they cut our wrist band off we went with our friends to the bar to have one last drink before we left. The bartender was happy and the servers were happy wanting to make this a memorable vacation. As soon as the Bartender put the drink in front of me a security guard came up to me only within 5 seconds and said I was not allowed to have a drink as my wrist band was removed. I felt very insulted and took the drink to the front desk and said " This is how you end a nice vacation by telling me I cannot have one last drink " I left the desk and the managers said nothing. The management did nothing because they don't care they have your money now leave. The employees came up to me and said they apologize for the way this was handled. The heart of this resort are the serving employees, I wish another resort would hire them for more money.
MY THOUGHTS: If I got a fantastic deal I would go again because I really like the employees that treated me so well. But because of the way the management treated me I would have to say I will take my business elsewhere. The managers do not have a clue how to make people happy. It is their fantastic employees that make the vacation so memorable. Thank you to all of the employees of this resort, well done. Now I will visit a resort that knows how to treat people.

Room Tip: If you get a room close to the adult pool you cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Harry R
First of all, I would like to say that I read attentively your report and I would like to mention some points.
Thank you for your kind’s words regards our employees’ services. Our goal is keep and exceed our guest’s high expectation and we cannot do that without our staff.
Regards your comments about your different issues with management I would like to say I regret to read you had some inconveniences. Trust me, I am the first person involved and interested in keeping happy all our guests. I read your letter and I personally left instructions about your request. My front desk manager explains to me that you declined my offer regarding offering you a free upgrade to a better room category in your next visit. Unfortunately we can not offer free up grades to all our guest who comes to the hotel for first time. Nevertheless we offer you a discount in order you can enjoy the rest of your stay in Royal Suites. I understand you declined that too. So, I think I gave you an immediate reply;, unfortunately my answer did not meet your expectations. Regarding your other issues I have to say that you reported a problem which was solved immediately by our front desk staff. Do you really think the management did nothing? It was a misunderstanding created between our security men and you and I understand everything was solved as soon as you reported the problem to front desk staff. I am really sorry if I personally could not go with you and apologize for the inconveniences but sometimes for me it is quite difficult to have the chance to talk with all our guests. It is because of that there are different managers in all departments in order to solve all issues that our guest might have.
Again, thank you for your comments and I will send them to our staff in order that they know they are recognized by our guests
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The beach on this resort was really great! There is a man made tidal pool on the beach that is terrific for the kids and adults that don’t want the wave action. We lived in it!
There is a professional life guard on duty, Stefane. He is from Germany and takes his job very seriously. Free surfing lessons too!

The pool area was very nice as well. No bar service on the beach or pool area, but the bars were fast and Oscar worked his butt off and always with a smile! Lots of wasps around the bar area in the afternoon because of the syrup, so if you are allergic bring an Epi pen like I did. They do their best to keep them to a minimum but sugar drinks attract them all! We ended up keeping our beach towels for 3 or more days as most times they were out even first thing in the morning, so don’t turn them in at the end of the day just in case. We traded when we knew they had stock. Guillermo was on the beach to help find chairs and sweep off the sand from your lounge chairs. He was Super Friendly and accommodating! Tip him, Please!!! We brought To Go cups for our drinks on the beach and was a great way to go!

All public bathrooms were always very clean!

We were in room 2210 .The rooms were extremely clean. Lots of towels. The chambermaid looked after us very well. We also choose to tip $5 per day to clean up our mess and they deserve it! Bar fridge filled with snacks, drinks and water daily. No clocks though so you have to rely on a wake up call. I would have packed an alarm clock just in case. There were extra pillows and blankets in the closet if needed.

Balconies were really disappointing.
We were on the third floor that had a great ocean view but we pretty much had to take turns standing out on the balcony! Coming from a freezing climate we like to sit out on the balcony after dinner but not possible here. The first & second floors looked like they could sit 2 people at a time.

The food at the buffet was really good. Excellent pasta bar, crepe bar and pizza bar.
Javier was a great server, so we looked for him each time we ate.

Never tried the a la carte restaurants, as they don’t take reservations! Hiked up and down the stairs for 20 minutes to find the Mexican a la carte and was then told the guys had to be in long pants and collared shirts. That part was our fault as it said on the hotel information. If you weren’t there for 6:30 you wouldn’t get in until 9. You could see many that did not get in at the buffet by 6:45. The a la carte system or lack of does not work!

This property has lots of stairs and lots of walking. If you have a disability or injury this is not the property for you!

We took a taxi in to Bucerias was $20 US. Same amount for the return trip. If you are doing some serious shopping in town you may want to change your US money into Pesos or they just charge you the same. $180 Pesos is $18 US dollars which is over paying. But we just wanted a few trinkets and not worth changing the money for us. Definitely barter in the market.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GoodchildWinnipeg
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Vallarta. It was a very extensive report and that helps us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your vacation in our hotel. We take our guest’s comments very seriously. I would appreciate hearing from you before you make your next plans to return to Vallarta. I am positive that we can make your next vacation an unforgettable experience. I will personally oversee your reservation just let me know.
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent a week at the Grand Palladium and loved every minute. We went with two other families. We travelled with a 6 year old, 11 year old ,a 17 year old and a 19 year old as well as 6 adults. There really was something for everyone and the safety factor was fantastic there is security and lifeguards everywhere.
The food was great I am a picky eater when on holidays but was still able to put on holiday pounds. There was so much to choose from. The drinks were delicious and service was never an issue. We loved Humberto at the buffet he just couldn't do enough for us, he made us smile every time we seen him. There were lovely Mimosas for breakfast and lunch and the sparkling wine in the lobby bar was equally delicious.
From the moment we checked in ( which took minutes) we were treated perfectly Victor was a lovely bell boy.
Our room was in bldg.1 which we loved close to everything and to see whales jumping from my patio doors was unbelievable . The pool was a great place to hang out ,the activity staff really try their best to get you involved but after day 2 of buffets ,cocktails and sun it is hard to get yourself off the sunbed. Thank you to Antonio for always making an effort.Thank goodness for the stairs and the bit of walking. The gym is very clean and has everything you need if you choose to use it.
Hemmingways is quite sophisticated, and a nice way to end an evening.
There was a cocktail reception one night and the drinks and snacks were fabulous, we were really appreciative that all the managers were there to greet us and address any comments anyone had good or bad. The GM was beyond approachable we have never seen this before so thank you to them.
We really had a great holiday.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

we a party of six just returned home on feb 16 from a fun week of sun at the GPV resort and spa. I found it quite enjoyable and the staff very accomodating.. Alberto and Martin in the buffet were most accomadating and waiting for and waiting on us each day. This made it most enjoyable. The beach was awesome and the loungers plentiful. I was however disappointed in the drinks. the margaritas I found very strong and undrinkable at most times and the beer wasn't corona which was a disappointment to me especially being in Mexico to me those two things should have been a given.The day trips we took were enjoyable and educational beware buying silver they say don't buy from the beach but becareful in the shops in town too $2-3 a gram some people paid way more than that,just be careful. The whale watching was great. The ala cartes were good but the buffet was as well, only thing I find bothersome is the evening shows starting so late. It is well after 10pm before it starts. All in all it was a great place and I would reccemend it to others

Dear turkeybird27,
I would like to thank you for your nice comments about your last holidays in our Resort. We are working every day in order to improve our services and comments like yours help us a lot.
About your concern of the Corona beer let me tell you that we work with this company in our complex. The beer we have in our bars (Modelo) is part of the Corona company, is one of its brands. In our Hemingway bar you can also enjoy the Corona Light and in Royal Suites Punta Mita also will find another Corona’s brand. Regarding your opinion about the Margaritas we will check it also.
Thanks again for your remarks and we hope to see you again in the future.
Best regards,

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!