“It was great! TIP your Servers! Do your research” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   C/ Carretera Punta de Mita Km 11.5, Punta de Mita 63734, Mexico (Formerly Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Punta de Mita
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
“It was great! TIP your Servers! Do your research”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The resort is beautiful, it seems like it's carved into the jungle. The staff is very polite and friendly, we stopped many staff members with random questions or comments and didn't find any who were not helpful. The beach is Awesome with fine sand, sea life, wonderful waves, and security, lifeguards, and recreation staff to help along the way. The buffet was always changing themes and trying to cater to US and Canadian palates, not always successfully but they really tried. It's really not their fault that some things just don't taste the same in a different country. The A 'la carte reservation system was frustrating, but whatever, the buffet always had something we liked. The chambermaids work very hard to keep everything clean and stocked, the plastic pads on the beds were noisy but I understand the need, with the humidity and heat who knows what could grow if they weren't there. The pools were nice, mostly for families, with activities all day and staff everywhere to help.
People need to know what they are getting into when they book a trip anywhere, and I think that those who don't do some research will always be disappointed. The Grand Palladium is in the jungle, the trees and vines would take over if the staff didn't work so hard to keep it under control. There are various cracks and corrosion in some places but it's really part of the charm, it is the Mexican jungle.
The one real complaint I have is about customers, they seem to think "all inclusive" means tips as well. The staff work very hard and deserve to be compensated for extra efforts.
The complaints I've seem and heard seem to be customers expecting to have something not possible at this location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alejandro C, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Mel G,
We would like to thank you for your comments and feedback about our resort and of course our staff. These comments help us and give motivation to the personal in order to improve our service day to day. As you say, our resort is located in a unique natural setting and we constantly work to keep it in that way.
We hope that you and your family decide to spend your next holiday again with us and if there is anything that we can do, please let us know.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We were fortunate to be located in Bldg 1 across fom the adult pool and the beautifull ocean so close. We could walk the beach to the south and what a view of some beautiful homes that were located there. The infinity pool is filled with some amazing small fish. The exercise classes which were daily at 10 am in the morning were for stretching and yoga. The ala cart resteraunts were okay as some days the food was better. A great big thankyou to Giovani for the blueberry tea which he made for me nightly. Sarah was the greatest conciege contact. We were fortunate to meet Caesar who helped us get our reserved king bed after a week or so. Jessie was so kind to take us to the Royal suites for a view, but bldg one was better and away from all the disco music late at night. A suggestion to the management of the grd Palladium would be to make bldg 1 aduts only and bldg 2 for familys as it would be closer for them to the main pool where the kids have to be. Kept in shape by walking all the stairs.Thanks to the weather as we had 28 great days of sunshine and allot of fun.

Room Tip: Any room in Bldg 1 was fine especially the view rooms of the adult pool and the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Rose P
First of all I would like to say that I really appreciate all your great comments about our resort and staff. I will take note and I will send them to our staff. For us it is a gratifying that you enjoyed your vacation with us in your visit to Grand Palladium Vallarta.
I hope that you decide to spend your next vacation with us and if there is anything that we can do, please let me know or send me an email
Kelowna, BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I just got returned home after a weeklong stay from December 14th to 21st. These are my comments and observations about the Grand Palladium Vallarta:
This resort is very far away from Puerto Vallarta but we knew that before booking the resort in the first place. It is the last resort on the North side of PV and it took over an hour to get there on a very windy and bumpy road. If one is car sick, it might be best to sit near the front of the bus, van or taxi!

Check-in:

Upon check in, we were greeted with a nice cold fruity beverage and our suitcases were immediately taken care of by the staff and delivered within minutes of us checking into our room One thing that was a little concerning at check-in was that they originally gave us a room, but when we got to the room and keyed in, there was already people staying in the room. That was definitely a big surprise for all parties involved! We immediately went to the front desk where they relocated us to an unoccupied room. . We had requested a king bed when we booked but all of the king beds were taken so they upgraded us to an ocean view room. They had said they could move us to a king bed suite once one came available but we didn’t bother. It was disappointing but didn’t wreck my vacation.

Room:

For a 5 star resort, the room was okay but small. We were in room 2218 and I heard that some rooms were updated but I don’t think we got one that was one of them. This was no big deal as I never am in my room much anyways. For an ocean view suite, the deck was very tiny and only had one chair and table that we didn’t use because if you sat down on the deck, you couldn’t see the ocean as the solid plaster wall in front of the chair did not allow for much of a view. Of course, this is not something the hotel can really fix at this point so if you want to view the ocean, you just have to stand to do so. The balcony did serve as a handy place to dry our wet bathing suits though and has a convenient little pull out drying rack.
One thing I did notice is that the bathroom door in our suite did not close easily and had to be forced shut and once it did shut there was an incredibly loud slamming sound that I think may have woken up the neighbours early one morning (sorry about that to whoever they were!). Water pressure in our room was definitely not great and the temperature would fluctuate from cold to scalding hot within seconds. The removable shower head in the tub had to be hand held as it would not stay up at the level where we could actually stand to take a shower.
The beds in this resort are definitely hard and the pillows are tiny and uncomfortable. There is a plastic mattress pad on the beds which makes for more of a restless sleep. I kept waking myself up every time I rolled over. This is something that definitely needs to be improved.
One more thing I should mention about our room is that if you are the type to have an afternoon siesta, you may not want this room because even though it overlooks the ocean, it also overlooks the pool and there was a lot of loud music and people talking on a microphone that was clearly heard with our sliding door shut. Again, not a big deal for us, but for someone with young kids that need to go for a nap, it might be an issue. It would have also been nice to have a clock in our room too as we had booked some excursions that we had to be up early for and there was no alarm to set.

The Grounds:

This resort is basically set on the side of a mountain so there is a lot of stairs and uphill climbing involved and there are no elevators. This was okay for us as we are young, but I did notice a lot of older people who had a tough time getting around. Some of the areas near the main bar have a lot of uneven surfaces made of rock so I wouldn’t recommend this for anyone that needs to have a walker or wheelchair.
It is definitely a pretty resort though in the way they have set it into the natural jungle setting. There is lots of pretty foliage and natural animals to see. There is also a zoo on the grounds that has monkeys, ostriches, peacocks etc that are interesting to look at. I am not too crazy about zoos but after talking to one of the groundskeepers, he informed me that alot of the the animals there were rescue animals for whatever reason and would not survive if just returned to the wild so that made me feel a bit better about the situation. Watch out for the mean ostrich though! LOL

The Beach:

I had done my research and was told that this resort had a really nice beach. It definitely did. The sand was powdery and the water was nice and clear. However, there are very rocky areas in the water that you have to be careful of. The beach bar was always busy but the bartenders do their best to keep it moving. With other all inclusive I have stayed at, we had the option to go to the beach bar or wait for the servers to come around. This resort did not have beach servers so if you like having that service, this could be an issue. For me, it just meant I had to get up off my chair a bit more which was most likely a good thing after having several mojitos in the hot sun. Although the “towel game” is played at this resort, we could always find a lounger to sit in. However, if you need a shady area, you definitely have to wake up early and claim a lounger or you will be in the sun all day or be forced to go to the pool where there is more shade.

Food:

I think this was the first resort that I actually wanted to eat at the buffet more than the ala cartes. We tried the steak and ribs restaurant and the Italian one and then decided that we wouldn’t be making the effort to dress up nice to go to any more ala cartes. From what I hear the quality of the food and service varied and we may have just had a bad experience is all. Others we talked to actually quite enjoyed their experience at the restaurants. At the steak house our appies took an hour to arrive and when they did, they were cold. Then another set of the same appie arrived that was piping hot but we turned that away as our dinner had already arrived. Our steaks were definitely over cooked and the server didn’t come around much at all to fill our water. The Italian restaurant was good, but didn’t knock my socks off. This is not something that spoils my vacation though. The food is not spectacular but I have stayed at a lot of all inclusive resorts and no food really is. There is always something to eat and one will never go hungry. The sports bar has food late at night and early in the morning and Hemingway Bar has a little cooler with some mini sandwiches, fruit and desserts in it at all times.

Other Comments:

If you book any excursions that take you off the resort, be pre-warned that the day will be very long due to the distance from Nuevo Vallarta and Puerto Vallarta. When you book with your vacation rep, the brochures say that things take approximately 5 hours or 7 hours etc. Our days always were full 9 to 11 hour days by the time you factor in travel time. This is in no way the resort’s issue but more of an FYI for anyone thinking of doing this. We did the Marietas islands and Rhythm of the night excursions and I highly recommend both. The City tour was just okay but that one stops at every resort along the way to pick up whoever booked and there was no bathroom on the bus and the roads are bumpy so to all the ladies out there...be prepared!

Would I stay at this resort again? Yes I would if there was a good deal but I usually always try something new every time I go on vacation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear kelly-bean78
First of all, I would like to thank you in taking your time in explain your vacation in Grand Palladium Vallarta and describe all services that can helps all visitors in their next trips.
I am glad that you and your partner enjoyed your vacation with us and I will take note about your comments about our staff and services that helps us to improve our services day to day.
Please, if you decide to come back again and you need any information, do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We (myself, my wife and children aged 5 + 3) stayed for the first week of December. We loved it! The resort is clean, beautiful and friendly. The design of the resort is in keeping with the environment, but this does mean that you should expect much walking and many stairs.

Be aware this resort is not close to PVR, as long as you know this going in to it, then like us you'll love it!

The rooms were to a good standard, and everything in it worked. The view from our room was picture perfect. The food was good - the buffet was so convenient and had a great variety of good food. The restaurants were great, we especially liked the Mediterranean one.

The staff at the Grand Palladium are all amazing!! They really made our trip very special. No request was ever too much. The staff at the Kids club are so good, they were friendly, professional and really great with my children. It's so re-assuring to be able to leave your children with people you really trust - and my children would rather be with them than with us, perfect!

We never had any difficulty finding a place to be comfortable, in any of the restaurants, bars, at the beach or by the pool.

Honestly, set your expectations realistically and you will love this place as much as we did.

Dear Chris S
Saskatoon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed there Dec. 12 - 19, 2012, travelled with Sunwing out of Saskatchewan. Our second time to this Resort did not live up to the first trip, including the "renovations". Rooms, OK, but very annoying is the plastic mattress pad. Had to take it off. There was nice towel animals, and good cleaning the first couple of days, but not so much after that. Restaurants good, the Asian by far the best. Promised food at all times of the day when checking in, but big void late morning and 5pm to 6:30pm (just when you might want to feed some starving kids!). Major disappointment was the adults pool. So cold you could not even go in it. No one was in it, yet on our previous visit the adult pool would have 30 people watching the sunset well into the evening. It was something that I was most looking forward to, yet could not use it. I complained three separate times to Sunwing and the front dest, no response, no explanation, no compensation. Very typical Sunwing/Mexico. I so would of not booked the hotel had I known the pool was of no use, as there is much better sand beaches at other places. There is no such thing as room service, that is for the Royal Suites side only. I can not say as I would recommend this property, it does not live up to it's advertisements or past history.

Room Tip: Do a lot of research as to the layout of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alejandro M, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear BeachHappy_12,

I am sorry to know that your second stay and experience with us at the Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa was far from your initial expectations. I would like to say that we work every day to improve our services and comments like yours help us in this regard. Relative your disappointment about the water temperature of the adult’s pool, we try to keep it warm depending on the outside temperature, but be sure that we will really consider your comments on this issue.

Thanks again for your remarks and please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can assist you in any other way.

Kind regards,
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at the the Palladium for 10 days at the beginning of June 2012. It was supposed to be a special celebratioin for N's 50th birthday.
When we had arrived, it appeared over half of the resort was leaving at the same time.This was the latest that we have gone for a winter holiday....
We did have room issues. We had requested the building by the adult pool with a king bed and jaquzzi. The first night was a doulblebed and one man jettub and tiny balcony.
Long story short, WestJet vacations and the resort made errors on their behalf.
N was so upset, she paid for a discounted, oceanview room (rock star suite) on floor 3 adult pool side. It was a nice room with the big jaquzzi on the covered patio. It was a 700-800 US upgrade for the remaiing 9 days. What can you do... she only turns 50 once in a lifetime.
Westjet did refund $300 after we returned home.
Observations oif the resort were mixed. It was OK for the price of the package. Staff was friendly and helpful, front desk was....? Some were great and others....?
The resort was very quiet durring the week and did pickup on the weekend with the locals.
There are lots af stairs and inclines, not recommended for folks with disabilities. It was great excersise for us.
Beach was nice and secluded, lots of surfers. It was a little rocky in some areas. Some people ended up with road rash.It is definetly not the Caribeen side for sand and water.
Because we were in low season, we missed the outdoor BBQ and the specialty resturants. Only 1 or 2 were open each night. The buffet was OK, not great and not bad. Other reviews are mixed on the food.
The drinks were always plentiful and the staff was always great.
The rooms and beds were average. We had expected better for a 4 -4.5 star rating. The bar fridges wre always warm, even after setting the cooling to max. Not sure if this was intent or quallity if the bar fridge?
We did meet some wonderful folks and did have fun.
Unfortunally we don't think we would return to this Palladium resort. It was not a bad value for the money, but compared to others we have been to, they would prevail.
I could go on and on, but 6 months have flown by. Cheers

Room Tip: for couples the building by the adult pool. Families by the othe pools
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Funinthesun314,

First of all I want to thank you for taking your time to write us a review about your last holidays at our hotel in June. Our aim is always provide the best service and comments like yours help us in this commitment. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is very important for us how and where we fall, in order to improve our guests’ expectations.

Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you in the future, giving us a second chance to improve your expectations and opinion about our resort. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information.

Best regards
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Had a great week here, beach is wonderful and private. Security is excellent. The resort was very clean including the room. I enjoyed most of the food but be careful of the meat dishes. I had a great massage at the new spa although it was expensive for Mexico. There was some good live music although not nearly enough. Housekeeping and food service staff were all good. Two complaints-we had no hot water in our shower and although we complained every day including to the maintenance manager, no one fixed it. We had to go to the spa to get a shower. The evening entertainment is also very poor, mainly dancers lip sync. The location is quite a ways out of Puerto Vallarta but we didn't mind, the bus service is cheap and frequent and it was very peaceful. Golfing is good in Punta de Minta.

Room Tip: building one is the newest and near the adult pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathleen J
I am glad to know that you are enjoyed your stay in Grand Palladium Vallarta. We are continuously working in order to keep our guest expectations high and the comments that we receive from our guests help us to know if we are on the right path.
In reference to the problems with your hot water, I really apologize for any disturbance that it might have cause. I will make a note to correct that inmediately, I am sorry we can not solve your problem as soon as you reported your inconvenience.
I would like to ask you if you could send me an email about all your room number in order to offer you an appropiate answer and make an investigation why we do not solve your problem while you are here with us. I look forward to hearing from you on this matter and thank you again for any information or comments that can help us be a better hotel.

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!