“pampering and luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Third Night Free
Ranked #3 of 10 hotels in Punta de Mita
“pampering and luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2005

We (me, my wife and 9-month baby) stayed here for four days starting Dec 17th. We were initially staying at the Marriot Casamagna (in Puerto Vallarta 45 mins away) and we came to 4-seasons to have lunch at their outdoor restaurant (Ketsi) and also to check it out. We liked it so much we decided to move out of the Marriott and spend the last 4 nights of our vacation here. The rooms were really, really expensive (thousand dollars a night includeing taxes and mandatory included tips), but we decided we wanted to experience this.

We were not disappointed. We got a Beachfront Casita room where we could open the sliding door and walk straight on to the beach, after passing through trees with hammocks hanging. The service was great-- we always had dinner in the room, they would come and set up the table in our room just like in a restaurant.

Everyone you meet greets you with a "buenos dias" and a smile. Although they frequently mispronounced my last name, at least they tried. We did feel that the courtesy was a little over the top and mechanical at times, but after the first day or so we started liking it. They really treat you like royalty. If you're by the pool, they come over to you and ask if you want a lounge chair set up with towels. When my wife was working out at the excellent Gym, someone came and offerred her a wet towel and a drink.

We did worry a bit (for our baby) about mosquitoes because we saw a few in our room.

Although I would probably not do this very often,
I would definitely recommend that anyone should
experience this Spa resort at least once. And yes,
we did partake of the Spa services
(facials, manicure for my wife), which felt good. Be warned that everything is very expensive here, you can easily spend 150-200 dollars a day on food and services, and don't be surprised if you average 1500 dollars a night.

808 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2005

We recently returned from a 5 day stay at the Four Seasons Resort in Punta Mita and can't say enough good things about it. The grounds are beautiful with breathtaking views of the ocean. The service is unparalleled Four Seasons service. The food was amazing - everything we ate was so flavorful and fresh. A couple of recommendations for the indulgent traveler: the couple's massage in La Palapa on the beach; a private dinner on "the Rock" with a personalized menu designed by the Executive Chef; and tennis lessons with the pro. There is no reason to leave the resort except to take a five minute cab ride just outside the property to eat at Vito's Italian Restaurant, where the food is delicious and fresh and the hospitality is comparable to eating at someone's home (because you are). One caution to the child-adverse traveler, bring your ipod - there were numerous crying children at the pool, ages 0-5.

Albany, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2005

My husband and I spent a week here in mid-December. It is Paradise. Gorgeous views, amazing staff, clean spacious rooms, incredible spa attendants, beautiful beach, everyone is so friendly, too. It is expensive, and well worth it, if you enjoy feeling well-cared for.
The breakfast buffet is generous and varied, especially good were the fresh fruit and the smoked salmon every day. After that, the food is a disappointment, especially for the price. Best to seek outside places to dine. We went to Vito's and it is everything the other reviewers on this site say..friendly, incredibly hospitable family--we felt like guests in their home; delicious food, reasonable prices, and most of all, a full beautiful dining experience that lasts all evening and is so enjoyable.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2005

My wife and I visited the Four Seasons Punta Mita Resort the week of December 5th and I wanted to post how amazing this resort and location truly is. Like many, I read the posts prior to deciding on the location of choice, and I can tell you from a first hand experience that this resort offers the highest level of service and amenities that you can find. The beauty of the Punta Mita master planned astonishing and can be taken in from every angle. I will try to offer my insights to those of you seeking experiences and reasons for visiting this location.

Aramara is the high-end restaurant and we enjoyed a nice meal there with drinks, dessert, catch of the day etc for less than $175. Ketsi has a lot of really great dishes and some dishes that were just so-so; prices were from $15-$30 per main dish and they allow informal dining attire. There are a couple bars where you can have drinks and/or cerviches which are really fun and they always offer you chips and salsa too! Ketsi has breakfast until 11am and offers a la carte, cold breakfast or hot and cold breakfast each morning. The hot and cold breakfast is $35 per person and had so much food from fruits to bacon, sausage, eggs, breads, coffees and a lot more! The food at the pool was really good too. Of course at the resort it seemed like every 30-60 minutes a staff person was walking around with new treats at the pool.

The golf course was nearly empty, as I recall only seeing about 14 names on the tee sheet each time that I played. I got in the 19 holes in less than three hours when playing as a two-some and the tail of the whale hole is remarkable. The spa is exceptionally nice and it seems that every masseuse was expertly trained and performed great massages. My wife had about 4 or 5 massages and commented to me that across the board all the masseuses were better than anywhere else that we’ve visited (and we’ve been to some of the best—Peninsula, 4 Season Maui, Golden Door, etc..).

The “learn about tequila” presentation was enjoyable, especially when the taste testing began as was the misc. tidbits offered via the cultural center. There are a couple computers setup for resort guest usage in this area for free---I paid about $20 per day to have my laptop connected via high speed at my room though as I didn’t know about this until later. Don’t miss the Managers Greeting Reception on Wed or Thursday night as you get a chance to talk to the GM and other mangers about your concerns while feasting on a large welcome buffet and open bar. The staff at this resort obviously loves their job and it is conveyed through how happy they seem at all times.

Eat at Vito’s! It is located in the village just outside the resort and was one of our highlights on the entire trip. You can have the hotel take you there and pick you up for about $6 each way (it’s on the room charge automatically) and Mrs. Vito will meet you at the front door—or you can just walk from the resort as its not that far away. The place is decorated so nicely; an upscale outdoor Mexico meets Italy feeling exudes brilliantly. Dinner is served in an outdoor courtyard with only 6-8 tables each night enjoying the food. We had the bread which was out of this world and salad, with a couple of the house specialties for dinner paired with their selection of wine. Vito’s family, who were originally from Vancouver, is working to make sure everything is perfect. His lovely daughter and another staff member may even put on an amazing dance show at the end of dinner (which reminded me of dancing with the stars…they could be professional dancers).

Things you should know:
* Quick flight to Puerto Vallarta as compared to Hawaii. Transfer from the airport didn’t take longer than 45 minutes to the resort. Once the construction on the road is complete (anytime between 8 months and 3 years…) then the transfer will be only 25 minutes or so.
* Personal touches abound at the Four Seasons. Everyone knows your name, everyone says hello in Spanish, the grounds are manicured perfectly, impeccably clean, bottled water everywhere, golf carts to take you around the resort even from your room to the pool if you desire.
* Maid service was the best. I believe they serviced our room 3 or 4 times per day and folded all of our clothes each time.
* Kids for All Seasons is exceptional and the nanny are great. You can hire a nanny/babysitter for $15 per hour minimum 3 hour increments.
* Service Fee is already calculated and is included for each day. Be aware that there is about a 15% tax and about a 12% service fee charged across your total expenditures no matter what. In turn, you don’t leave tips for most services (except drivers I believe) which is nice.
* They are almost done with the construction of a quiet/adult only pool. This is expected to be completed in two weeks—in time for Christmas.
* Eating at The Rock is romantic but what I didn’t like was a surprise $80 per person setup fee added to the $120 per person dinner fee. This seemed exorbitant.
* The dehumidifier in the room was nice, but was loud and kicked on throughout the night which was annoying (until we decided to shut it off at night time).
* It is easy to meet people and there is a lot to do. On premises you can kayak or use the hobie cat sailboat, there are walking tours and little excursions. The big excursions are partnered through Vallarta Adventures and are steeper in price.
* This is a VERY kid friendly resort and there may be lots and lots of kids depending on when you visit. Obviously, determine your desire to be around kids 5+ by their school holidays. If you go when school is generally in session, you will have fewer kids and most will be less than 5 years old. I believe they are expecting 200 kids over Christmas break. There were about 25 or so when we visited.

All in all, it is expensive but you have first class service, location and you will undoubtedly have a trip that will be remembered until the next time you return---which we are already planning on doing!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2005

Just returned from Punta Mita - after spending 6 nights at the Four Seasons as part of my honeymoon.

This place is absolute paradise. The ground are impectable, the staff courteous and eager to help, and the views of the bay are some of the best i've ever scene (from the pool area, one can look 150 yards away into Banderas Bay and see humpback whales or dolphins from Nov through April- THIS IS A REGULAR OCCURANCE. so surreal). Spa, tennis courts, gym and golf course, all world class.

The food is top notch, but expensive and after 2-3 days, one is eager to find other options. Having done our research prior to making the trip, we new a few resturants existed within the village of Punta Mita itself (punta mita is VERY VERY SMALL).

One night we tried a place called Tino. Water front dining, right in the wave breaks (very relaxing setting). Specialized in seafood. Food was fresh - but fairly generic. Reasonably priced (compared to 4S). Staff very nice - but food was nothing special (flaming banana dessert very good).

The following night, we ventured to an Italian restuarant called Vito's. Even having previoulsy done our homework, nothing prepared us for what we were about to experience. We were graciouly greeted at the door by Mrs. Vito (cannot remember her name). We were taken to an out door dining space (6-7 tables max)that reminded me of a small family resturant in Italy.
The food? Top notch. Vito treks into PV daily to pick up only the freshest ingredient. All pasta is made fresh daily. Food, atmoshphere and staff (Vito's wife and daughter - great people, and Martine (probably spelled wrong) - good dancer and makes a mean cocktail...)

Value - very reasonable. But this is not the reason to go (although added benefit). It truly is an experience in itself. 3-4 hours eating - great food -great wine (hard to come by in Mexico), under the stars, and great conversation.
This place is a must stop, during any trip to PM.

Truly a remarkable dining experience.

Overall, this was one of my more enjoyable travelin g experiences. Rooms, staff and ammenities at the Four Season is unparalleed. Yes, it is expensive. But worth it.

Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2005

Spent 10 days at this resort celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary from November 9th through November 18th. I would say that this vacation was as close to being as perfect as one could wish for. Booked the Golf and Spa package since I am an avid golfer and my wife does not play but enjoyed the spa. Under this package my greens fees were included so I could play golf everyday while my wife had an 80 minute massage each day which was also part of the package. Included in the package was the breakfast buffet every morning.

Only encountered one problem during our stay but was resolved by the management very quickly. We had booked a partial ocean view room. It was located on the south side of the property and was near the construction of the new pool. They were also doing construction on some new building about 100 yards away. This did not seem too be a big problem until we found out that they worked well into the night on the construction of the building 100 yards away. At midnight they were still hammering and sawing. The next morning the air conditioner quit working in our room. Well I went down to the lobby and spoke with the manager stating that it was our 20th anniversary and with the noise and a faulty air conditioner it was not the trip I had in mind. The manager apologized and said he would find us a new room. The manager was very polite. By the time I had walked back to my room (a trip of maybe 10 minutes) my wife was on the phone with manager who was telling her that he was sending down some bellmen to pack our bags and move us to a new room on the other side of the resort. No sooner had my wife hung up the phone that there was a knock on the door and 3 bellmen were standing there offering to pack our bags and move us. Long story short, they packed everything and moved us into a new room which was a full ocean view. The manner and speed in which they handled this complaint was nothing short of amazing!

During our stay, the staff went what I would deem above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. The staff over at the golf course is great. Every morning when the shuttle pulled up to the golf course I was greeted by the head golf pro who was standing there waiting for my arrival. My clubs were already on a cart waiting for me. The pro would come out while I hit balls on the range and offered a few pointers. When my round was finished the pro was there again asking if there was anything he could do for me. The course is very well kept, with 8 holes on or around the ocean. The par 3 island green hole is just amazing. Played 6 times during my stay and found the majority of the time I had the course all to myself.

My wife was very pleased with the service at the spa. All our meals were very good with a few excellent meals.

We did do the ATV tour which was fun and a day trip to Puerto Vallarta which was nice. I am not much of a shopper but my wife is and enjoyed seeing all the shops.

On our anniversary, we did have dinner on the “Rock” which was simply over the top, very romantic and the service great.

Is this place expensive? Yes it is, however I feel that it was well worth the money.

All in all this was the best vacations we have ever taken. Each year my wife and I take a trip in November for our Anniversary. We always choose an upscale resort. Over the years we have gone to the Breakers in Palm Beach, the One and Only Resort in the Bahamas and several Ritz Carlton properties. The Four Seasons in Punta Mita beats them all. From the views, the staff and property one cannot go wrong with a stay here. Actually thinking of joining the Four Seasons Residence Club here once they finish building them that is how special I think this resort is.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2005

Water and beer waiting for us when we arrived in the lobby. The staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE on the staff would stop and smile and say "Buenas Dias" or some variation thereof. The view is gorgeous. Hammocks abound - do as little or much as you want. Plenty to do if you're adventurous but you'll have no problems if you're the kind of person who just wants to relax. The food was pricey but very good if you know what you like - you'll be especially lucky if you like fish. The trip from Puerto Vallarta Airport to Punta Mita takes approximately 45 minutes - arrange a van from the hotel or pay for a taxi $50 (US).

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Four Seasons Punta Mita? Share your experiences!