“Fabulous resort and staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night Free
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Punta de Mita
San Diego, California
“Fabulous resort and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The Four Seasons Punta Mita is a spectacular and luxurious resort. We spent a week there as a family of four with my brother and SIL part of the week. Stayed in the Residence Club (RC) which is fully integrated into the resort unlike other FS resorts where the RC is a separate complex.

Transportation: We opted to let FS arrange airport pick-up and drop-off and the service was fast, friendly and efficient for about $220 round trip. On the way to the resort we had six people and thus a van. The driver stopped at a Walmart supermarket to allow us to load up on groceries (~$50/hour). On the way to the airport we had four people and thus a large SUV. The ride was a comfortable 45 minutes each way, though longer on the way back as there seemed to be some sort of protest at the airport that created a traffic jam. We didn’t do so but apparently you can rent a golf cart from the FS and it’s a great way to get into town which is just outside the gates of the complex.

Resort: The resort is huge and the RC rooms are close to the Oasis complex (including the Lazy River) but a bit distant from the main lobby and surrounding restaurants, beach activity centers, etc. It’s not a far walk but there is very efficient golf cart service if you prefer not to walk. Every time we called for a golf cart it was there in a minute or two. All parts of the resort are luxurious in an understated ‘Four Seasons’ way and kept immaculate in terms of cleanliness and landscaping. Interesting wildlife including iquanas, chachalaca (a kind of wild chicken) and many bird species roam the resort.

Rooms: Residence Club rooms appear to be in five buildings. They are more like a condo/apartment with kitchen, living room and dining room. They are gorgeous! The RC rooms are huge with a 3-bdrm having over 3000 sq. ft. of space. They are beautifully decorated with marble floors, high ceilings and plenty of light. I’ve added a number of pics. The RC rooms are serviced daily by the housekeeping staff and the plunge pools also cleaned daily. The gourmet kitchen is large and functional with everything needed to prepare a gourmet meal (though we did little of this on vacation). It was good to be able to breakfast and sometimes lunch ‘in’. The FS provides complete coffee and tea service (including sugar and cream). My SIL was very pleased to find decaf black tea which she couldn’t find at the supermarket. FS gladly supplied more! It was quite hot and humid while we were there and the air conditioning worked beautifully keeping the inside pleasantly cool even in the heat of the day. The great room has a set of sliding glass doors that can be opened completely creating even more outdoor living space. We opted to keep them closed given the heat, though is imagine in the cooler times of the year it’s great to have that outdoor feel even ‘indoors’. Finally, there is a great back patio with three lounge chairs, small table and chairs, several other chairs, a pool bed, a barbeque grill and a plunge pool. This was a great place to hang out. It was cool enough for morning coffee and the plunge pool great in the afternoon. Housekeeping replaced the towels outside daily. The rooms had WiFi and for RC guests it was free for the ‘premium’ service which was very fast (watched Netflix with no delay). We likely had >10 devices among the six of us.

Bars and Restaurants: Each of the pools and the lazy river has a bar and you can order food as well. Same is true of the beach. There are several restaurants on the resort ranging from casual beachfront (Ketsi, Bahia) to fine dining with an ocean view (Aramara). Ketsi and Bahia were very good and I’ve reviewed these separately. We did not eat at Aramara and instead went into the town of Punta de Mita to eat for our special meal. The food was generally very good on the resort and of course the service was excellent at the restaurant. Both Ketsi and Bahia had kid’s menus.

Service: Quality of the service and friendliness of the staff really sets this place apart. Service is just special. Every one of the staff will great you as you pass anywhere on the resort. It helps to know at least a few phrases in Spanish. Daily housekeeping and pool service were top notch. Anything that needed repair was fixed almost immediately. We had one issue with the AC apparently not working well and maintenance was dispatched immediately (less than 15 mins). (It turned out that we had not completely shut the large set of glass doors and the AC did not turn on if the doors were open.)

Beaches and Pools: There are two semi-private beaches that are very nice with white sand and calm oceans. Not quite like the Caribbean but calm and turquoise much more so than the Pacific coast of Mexico. Living close to the beach in SoCal, we opted to spend more time at the pools. There is a huge infinity pool overlooking the beaches and ocean that is beautiful. We never had problem finding lounge chairs. There is also a large adult pool complex with cabanas that’s very nice though being a family we didn’t use much. There is a great lazy river that moves slowly around the Oasis complex. The lazy river is a great place to lounge in the water if you’ve already had enough sun as it’s quite shaded and cooler. There’s a bar there that has a big screen TV (where I watched a few World Cup games; you can watch while standing in the water) and that will refresh your drink as float by if you call it out.

Negatives: Very few and minor. Prices at the restaurants are very high and there are few options for reasonably priced food. There is a small shop off of the lobby that sells some food (including some very good bread) but other than that, you pay the restaurant prices. Also, it didn’t impact us as Residence Club guests but the resort charges other for WiFi. This is a general pet peeve with me as WiFi nowadays is a common utility like electricity or hot water and up-charging for it is a devious practice and certainly I’d have thought the FS would be above it. I for one would like to see more hotels and resorts drop cable TV and provide ultra-fast internet/WiFi since I bring my own devices anyway. OK, off my soapbox!

All in all, the entire family had a great time at the FS Punta Mita and all were sad to leave. The kids made a number of friends at the resort at the pools and activities. We really felt like the staff we’d gotten to know were like family. I congratulate the management and staff and give the FS Punta Mita my highest recommendation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Lake Elmo, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Best parts:
1. The service is the best I have ever experienced (we are frequent guests at Four Seasons Maui and this was way better). People went above and beyond to do anything we needed.
2. Breakfast and lunch at Ketsi: Best breakfast buffet ever! The table side Guacamole was the best I have ever had.
3. The main pool is absolutely stunning
4. Met a lot of friendly fun people here, not a pretentious crowd.

Worst Part:
1. Dinner Restaurants: The food was okay, but at a Four Seasons resort I expected at least one dinner restaurant that would be a 5 Star experience. Nothing even came close, this was a huge problem for us and probably the biggest downfall of the resort.

Bad Part:
1. The adult pool is in a really strange spot. A long walk from the main pool and no view of the ocean. The adult pool was quiet enough that it didn't matter and we stayed there. The view and location of FSPM is so lovely, I wish the adult pool had the view that the rest of the resort has.

Other things:
It is a very large resort, so there is a lot of walking. However, that didn't bother me. The property is so beautiful that it feels like you are walking through a cool jungle. Also, I am pretty sure that any of the staff members would be happy to give you a ride on their golf carts.

The room had a faint sewer smell starting on day 3, but we didn't want to change rooms, so we put up with it. I am sure they would have happily switched us if we had asked.

There are a couple of other really picky things that bothered me, they only bothered me due to the fact that I hold Four Seasons to a higher standard based on previous experience.

I think if they fix a couple things (New Restaurant!) they could really be one of the best. I just don't know if the prices are worth it as it is now. I don't think I would return unless they made some changes.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Once you arrive at the facilities, you realise you have just arrived to paradise! The personnel is the best, really friendly and professional. The facilities are amazing, small details are the things that surprise you. Truly recommended, sincerely there is nothing negative I can recall about this hotel. I would definitely return. Mexico is awesome!

Room Tip: Choose Ocean View!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Spent four nights in Punta Mita back in April. What a little piece of paradise. Great food, great staff and the setting is just phenomenal. Golf courses aren't too shabby either. Hope I get to make it back some day!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We spent a few days at Four Seasons a few months ago. We were there with our son who was under 2 years old at the time. Overall we were very impressed with friendliness of the staff. Everyone from the servers to the gardeners greeted us with hola and a smile everywhere we went. Everyone seem genuinely happy to be there and see us. The beach attendants remembered our chair preferences and the servers all remember my son's name by day 2. This was the friendliest Four Seasons we've stayed in and was much better than the Ritz Cancun. The only so so experiences we had was our first night's dinner at the Bahia. We ordered raw oysters for appetizers and the first one I had was bad and I had to go and rinse my mouth. The staff merely apologized and took the plate away and that was the end of it. Although we were not charged for it, being Four Seasons, I would have expected they would have tried to suggest other appetizers. Other fine dining establishments would have done more to make up for serving bad oysters. After this experience, we actually never ate at any of the other restaurants in property, except for breakfast and took taxi into town every night for dinner. The other not so great thing is that the AC unit in our room was really, really loud when it comes on. We stayed in La Luna (not sure of the room, 601?). Again, those were the only not so great experiences and were minor compared to everything else, especially the people. They were wonderful and made us feel so welcome! We'll go back again. In fact, we are going back in a few weeks, but we still plan on eating in town!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We come here every year, as it's just a two-hour flight and one-hour drive from Houston. The property is huge, with two private beaches, a large infinity family pool that's one of the nicest I've ever seen, and a separate adults-only pool. There's an excellent fitness center that never seems to be crowded, and there are three very good but quite expensive restaurants. There are also two completely private beaches with palapas and incredibly comfortable lounge chairs. There seems to be about one staff member per guest; the service is the best of any place we've ever been, including many other Four Seasons. The one negative is that from time to time there are large groups here that can dominate the pool and beach areas and be quite noisy. You may want to check when making reservations to be sure that's not the case during your stay.

Room Tip: Most rooms have views of the beautiful Pacific.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We just returned from a wonderful family vacation at the Four Seasons in Punta Mita. If you are looking for a wonderful resort experience, you need not look any further. This property is perfect! Everything you could want from a stay at an upscale hotel is at your fingertips, and the people are so wonderful and helpful. We couldn't ask for more. There are amenities for every traveler of every age. And everything is so classy and tasteful. You never feel crowded, out of place, or put upon to buy anything (like is common at so many resorts in Mexico). Just an all-around amazing vacation for the whole family.

If I had one complaint, it would be the lack of availability of reasonably-priced food. Yes, I understand it is a high-end property, and yes I understand that this is to be expected, but it sure would be nice to not have to drop $50 just to get some decent snacks by the pool or sandwiches for the beach. And a venture outside of the property to purchase some things on your own will still cost you $20 in cab fare, so you might as well just stay. I think next time we go (and there will be a next time) we will make a stop at the market before we arrive!

Room Tip: We had a garden villa with a plunge pool and a hammock. It was awesome. Beware of the "jungle...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita? Share your experiences!