“Fantastic Honeymoon - one complaint!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium

Save Saved
You added The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Punta de Mita Km. 11.5 | Bahia de Banderas, Punta de Mita 63734, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 10 hotels in Punta de Mita
“Fantastic Honeymoon - one complaint!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I went to the Royal suites on our honeymoon from Ireland.

It actually exceeded our expectations on most fronts. First off the location was stunning. It was such a treat to look out to see and see whales breaching all day long while lying by the pool! The beach was extremely quiet and it really felt like a retreat. We were delighted with the bar and restaurant as the food and drinks were great and the service impeccable. Our room was lovely, the pools were perfect and the atmosphere in the hotel was fab as it was quiet but very welcoming and very relaxing. I surf so I was blown away by the consistant surf spot out front, I even had a few dawn sessions alone with just me and the local turtle. There are bog standard boards available in the beach hut but I wish there was an option for decent board rental or at least more info on the nearby surf shops - perhaps this could be improved.

So all in all we were delighted with our choice. However, we had decided that it would be fitting that on our last night we should have professional photos taken so that we could treasure the memory forever. We booked the photographer a few days in advance and he assured us that the photos would be ready for our departure.

So we spent an hour on our last night having photos taken and arranged to meet the photographer in the morning before we left. He showed up an hour late and arrived when we were getting into our taxi to the airport. We were quite stressed about this and I think he saw this as an opportunity to overwhelm us with options and offered us a price for the whole lot that was in fact more expensive than our own wedding photos in Ireland!! I said we couldn't possibly decide this quickly and agreed that we would definitely buy some photos from him but weren't willing to miss our flight because of them! He gave me his personal email address and company card and I left feeling more than satisfied that we could complete the purchase of our keepsakes by email or online due to his reassurances that this was the case.

Well, I have been emailing for over two months and haven't heard a peep. I'm sure the photos are long gone and we are left feeling very sorry we just didn't go and ask someone to take a few photos at various times during the trip. I feel a fool really as we put a lot of hope into what we thought was a lovely idea.

What a rant!

Overall - I can't fault The Royal Suites other than that - it was a wonderful honeymoon destination and I would happily visit again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Thesurfingdog,
Thanks a lot for your comments and for giving us your feedback of your stay at The Royal Suites Punta Mita. I was very pleased to read all the positive comments you had for us and our services and facilities.
We regret the problems that you have been caused by the Photographers at the Resort. Let me tell you that they work for an external company who works in our hotel. I’m so sorry for your inconveniences and we will speak with this company for explanations.

Thank you again for your remarks and we hope to see you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
Kind regards,

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I'll start off with the positive.

The ocean and the view is beautiful.

End of positive review.

I'm surprised at all of these great reviews -- especially the ones that say the food is excellent or top notch. With the exception of Bambu and the Mexican Restaurant (which are only open for dinner) the food was somewhere between not good and disgusting. The Punta Mita Restaurant on the all adults side was bland and the service was slow (they seemed to be under-staffed). The service at the adult-side bar was fast -- as long as you left a good tip. They only have Modelo on tap and it took a few days before we were told their were other beers in bottles and cans.

Breakfast was only available from the Punta Mita Restaurant, via buffet at the ribs place or El Bosque and through room service. We quickly found out room service was a joke. When we placed an order (even if it was for a bottle of water) it usually took over an hour. The person that answered the phone was rude and did not understand much English. Sometimes we got things we did not order. Many times we had to call and order a second time because our order was somehow lost. The buffet at the ribs place was completely exposed to the outdoors and birds flew up and ate off of the buffet like they were guests at the hotel. El Bosque was really the only place with decent breakfast food. This sentiment was obviously shared by most guests since it was always packed after 8:00am. Whenever we ate there after 8:00am the locals would push you out of the way to get the last of something, the staff would take a tray of food to refill it while you were in the middle of putting it on your plate and the wait staff always seated the locals first -- leaving little if any room to sit down and eat. We ate standing many times.

The lunch options were the same as the breakfast -- only the food was much more disgusting and bland. The only consistently good item was the self-serve soft-serve ice cream -- but that often ran out and was not refilled.

We booked this trip for our honeymoon over a year ago and it took them awhile to realize we were a honeymooning couple. The only special treatment associated with this was a sash over the door, even though they said they gave honeymooners "special treatment."

We got a couple's massage at Zentropia. My wife's was done by a male and she said it was very good. Mine was done by a female and it was awful. Barely any pressure was used and half of the time she was massaging me with the towel still on my back.

Several times throughout our stay the power went out for prolonged amounts of time. One night it went out while we were sleeping and caused the wine cooler to emit this loud beeping noise. We called the front desk and they said they would send someone right away. After waiting 30 minutes we called again. They told us it was because the lights were out and hung up. At that point we just pulled the TV out of the way to unplug the wine cooler.

On the second to last day of our stay the maid broke the shower head off the hose in our shower. We discovered it whenever we returned to our room from the pool to get ready for dinner. We brought it up to the front desk where they called maintenance. The guy at the desk called maintenance and spoke to them in Spanish. I took three years of college level Spanish (although, I haven't used it much sense) and can understand a lot better than I can speak. The guy at the front desk told maintenance that we broke our shower head because we had too much tequila! This was infuriating, but I kept my cool and he told us that someone would be there to fix it right away. We waited for 30 minutes and eventually decided to try to "shower" in the bathtub so we could go eat dinner. When we got back from dinner and a walk on the beach a few hours later it had still not been fixed. We told our butler this and she was finally able to get someone to repair it.

On the last day we needed to call Olympus Tours (we had a voucher for an airport shuttle), so my wife went to the front desk to ask if they would call for us just in case their English wasn't very good. They kept telling her it would be 5 pesos (this is supposed to be all inclusive) until she got irritated enough that they agreed to call for free. Olympus didn't have enough resources to come and get us, so after much arguing back and forth they reluctantly agreed to pay for a taxi to get us. When we asked the hotel staff if they would explain the situation to the taxi driver he acted annoyed and rolled his eyes before finally agreeing.

There were a few staff members whose service and hospitality stood out:
Eceil, Edna, Macario, Elmer, Hector and Giovanni

Other than that this trip was highly disappointing and I regret choosing it for my honeymoon.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor -- choose somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear EKC2013,
I would like to thank you for your comments about your stay in our Resort. In first place, I want to apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay.
I’m sorry to read your remarks about your stay because as you can see with the rest of comments from our guests in Royal Suites, your experience wasn’t like the vacation you wanted. Of course we will check your remarks and comments.
Once again thank you for your feedback and please let us know if you decide to come back to our property. We will take care about your reservation.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Upon first getting into our room we were surprised to see that the floors were dirty, our sheets had little stains, and lights were burnt out in the washroom. Upon orders from my GF I quickly headed to the front desk to get everything sorted out. And it was, in a hurry no less.

The service generally was just wonderful. Everybody was very kind, helpful, and worked to serve us best. Special shout out to EDNA the Butler who took extra care when my GF had to get a surprise root canal :0 In Mexico no less!! It turns out dentist offices are comparable to what we are used to here in Canada, so the operation went smoothly.

The food was spectacular. I was surprised to hear that some guests had bad reviews, but perhaps this is because we only ate at the Royal Suites. Here's a tidbit of information, DEFINITELY pay for the upgrade at the Royal Suites! The other side, Palladium, is chock full of families and rich locals who, in comparison to the Royal Suites, create absolute chaos in and around the pool areas, restaurants, and bars. The Royal Suites side was luxuriously clean and quiet, the food miles ahead of any of the restaurants at Palladium, and the service was far more superior. Shout out to all of the pool bar and restaurant staff at Royal Suites. Unfortunately I forget their names, but I must admit that ALL of the staff was extremely gracious, helpful, and pleasant!

Coles notes: PAY FOR THE UPGRADE AT ROYAL SUITES!

Room Tip: Choose a room closest to the ocean, on the highest floor, AWAY from the noise of the Palladium, the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear SAUCKNG,
On behalf of the Royal Suites Punta de Mita staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the facilities, food and services that we offer. I will pass your nice remarks to Edna and other people from our staff, as you mentioned in your review
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.
Drayton Valley, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Suites from June 28 - July 5 2013.
We flew through Sunwing Vacations and paid for the better seating, etc. We did get extra leg room on the plane but their was no extra service for the upgrade.
Back to the resort. We were place in block 5 on the second floor. Our room was clean, but the fridge was not refilled everyday with what we used. The power kept going out when we were there (don't know y). We never had bed turned down the whole time we were here and when something was removed from our room it was not returned (glass's). I agree with Joan L need a better selection of music. Marcario at the pool was the best.
The beach at this resort is very poor.
The pool at the Royal is nice. Clean and kept up well. The towels on the lounge chair every morning is great. Would be nice to have pool floaties so we could relax in the pool. Food and drink service by the pool is excellent.
The Punta Mita restaurant is great. Ate here every night after we found it. Staff were great.
We might go back to this resort the staff are great, the food was very good, but we love the beach and it sucked. That would be the only thing that would stop us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Theresa_One,
I would like to thank you for your nice comments about your last relaxing holidays with us in The Royal Suites Punta Mita. I will pass your nice remarks Macario, as you mentioned in your review.
I am glad that you and your couple enjoyed your stay with us because is gratifying to know that our guest enjoyed their vacations and we are providing our best services for them.
Thank you again for your remarks and we hope to see you again in the future.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed in the adults only side of this resort and it absolutely exceeded my expectations of what an all inclusive could be. I particularly loved how the staff got to personally know you and your preferences (our favourite was our daytime & poolside server Mercario) and the environmentally friendly practices in rooms and around the resort (lots of reuse, recycling, dual flush toilets, etc). The buildings themselves fit well into the landscape and create a nice little community type feel.

Big, great, gym with a ton of equipment and free weights, barbells, etc.

The restaurant on the adults side had a vegetarian menu (unheard of at any all inclusive I've known of) and always had great, fresh options of all kinds at every meal, both buffet and menu style. The availability of day time snacks served by the pool was a real plus and the bar made every type of drink imaginable!

The beach was lovely and there are places to hike and explore right there. The salt water pool is a nice touch. We went out on the catamaran, which was a ton of fun, and were impressed by private surf lessons too.

All around amazing, courteous service, great atmosphere, absolutely fabulous facilities and services. I don't have anything other than great things to say about the place (though I don't know that I would have enjoyed the family/kids side of the resort quite as much).

Room Tip: My friend and I had a Royal Junior Suite, which was massive and had a great bathroom and a big king...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear rachelsqf,
Thank you for your kind words about your stay in The Royal Suites Punta Mita. We are really glad to comprehend that you’ve enjoyed your vacations. All comments, bad and good, are very important to us for constantly improving the quality of our service.
Thanks again, we hope to see you again in the future and please, feel free to contact us for your next visit or for any further matter.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My travel mates and I spent 2 wonderful weeks at the Royal Suites Palladium Punta Mita. June 29th to July 13th. We had an absolutely wonderful time. Best vacation I have ever had.

Starting with breakfast right through to dinner the Punt Mita restaurant was fabulous. Great food and many wonderful waiters, Alfredo, Hector, Carlos Angel and Tino. Bartender Marcario at the pool was right on top of things, always ensuring our drinks were full. Bartender in the Hemmingway bar, Giovanni was always charming no matter how busy he was.

Our rooms were cleaned very well and the evening bed turn down and chocolate was a lovely addition. We also tried out the spa, which also very nice.

There a few things that we all agreed need to be addressed.

Firstly, the repetition of the recorded music in the pool and restaurant area really needs to be addressed. The music itself is lovely, but the same music repeated many,many times a day is a bit much.

Next, the waiters in the Punta Mita restaurant are overworked. The last few days we were there, they could not keep up with serving so many people. There were several large groups of people at the Royal Suites. Another waiter needs to be on call for such occasions!!

Lastly, and this is the big one. My friend and I both used our credit cards to pay for our spa experience. The Zentropia experience was the treatment we both choose, $120.00 USD. This was July 1st. This was the only time my credit card was accepted in Mexico. For the rest of our trip in Mexico, we both had our credit cards declined for purchases inside and outside the resort.

When I returned and checked with my credit card company, I found out that over $9000.00 CDN was fraudulently charged to my credit card, beginning July 3rd. My travel mate had $48000 CDN fraudulently charged to her credit card. Same dates, same amounts, same places in Mexico. We were credit card scammed at the Zentropia Spa.

It is sad that we cannot go to an upscale resort and be safe using our credit cards.
I would return to the Royal Suites for sure, but without my credit card.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a great getaway, adults only, this is the place to go. Request a main floor r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Joan L,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on our hotel. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service and our product.
I was very pleased to read the positive comments you had for us. We appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding our staff and services.
I would like to apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay with your credit cards. We will make an investigation on this because this kind of things never happens in our Resort.
Grande Prairie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

After 2 horrible days at Palladium I spent the extra $$$$$ and upgraded to the suites. So happy I did. A lot less people a lot better service. I rated the rooms a 4 instead of a 5 for 2 reasons. The mini bar NEVER got cold and the air conditioner was preset at 20 and could not be set lower. The service was excellent from everyone from the housekeeping to the servers in the restaurant. The staff anticipated and took care of my every need.
The resort is about 40 minutes from PV which I loved
If you want a quiet peaceful holiday this is a good choice.
My biggest complaint is the lack of fresh LOCAL fruit. Mangoes and lychees are everywhere but not a 1 on the resort. The concierge told me many fruits were in season but those where not at the resort. Not a big deal but certainly something I missed. The closest bank is in PV so bring pesos or small US bills for tipping. The hotel seemed to prefer US for services but I tipped in pesos as I thought it would be easier for the staff who likely live local. I would go back again and feel comfortable recommending this place to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2013
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Sherry B,
On behalf of the Royal Suites Punta de Mita, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.

I appreciate your positive notes about the hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the facilities that we offer. As I can read in your remarks, your change of hotel was highly satisfactory for you and your couple so that pleases us greatly. We regret the problems that you have been in the Palladium side and also we will take note of your comments about the seasonal fruit on the Resort.

Kind regards,

Been to The Royal Suites Punta Mita by Palladium? Share your experiences!