TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“A jewel in Patzcuaro” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Refugio en Patzcuaro

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Patzcuaro
El Refugio en Patzcuaro
You added El Refugio en Patzcuaro to your Saves list
11 Serrato Street, Patzcuaro, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 27 Patzcuaro B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“A jewel in Patzcuaro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

If you are looking for a most enjoyable hotel experience, El Refugio B and B is a must in Patzcuaro. The rooms are lovely and clean. Hot water abundant. Beautiful quiet gardens are within the Colonial establishment. I was delighted to be warmly greeted by Hector who gave us the choice of several rooms. Breakfast the next morning consisted of homemade blackberry muffins, freshly squeezed juice, hot coffee, and an omelet with vegetables and freshly made roasted ranchero sauce. You can see photos of his kitchen in the book Mexican Cocina, featuring kitchens of notable Mexican kitchens. His personal artwork collection scattered around the property added a dimension to my enjoyment.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Three of us recently made reservations for one night at El Refugio en Patzcuaro, enroute to Troncones. To our delight, the owner, Hector, warmly greeted us, showed us the rooms available, then offered a room each for our friend and for us as a couple. Our pal had twin beds, living room and complete kitchen. Ours on the second level was large with a lovely sitting area and huge window for looking out over the mts. We got two for the price of one!
To top it off, we had a wonderful breakfast with delicious freshly baked blackberry muffins, the balance of which Hector gave us for the road trip.
Location is perfect, about 3 easy blocks for the large plaza, small plaza and market. Just far enough to be away from the bustle and allow a leisurely stroll home after dinner.
Would stay at El Refugio B & B again.

Room Tip: We had and liked best the rooms in the back section of the B & B. They seemed bigger and bright...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I had been wanting to visit Patzcuaro, but all the media reports regarding the violence had detained me. I had an opportunity to visit during the Christmas and New Year's Holiday so i took a chance. I stayed at El Refugio during my stay. I must say that during my week-long stay I did not experience any of the experiences reported by the New York times or U.S. media.

During my stay, i felt very safe. Martin, had incredible knowledge of the region and pointed out the right people to give me a tour of the Basilica of Our Lady of Health and other major spots in the area. I was interested in Mexican folk art, and Hector and Martin provided the right places that proved an amazing experience of this region of Mexico.

The Hospitality provided by Hector and Martin was truly beyond expectation. From having the fireplace lit (with real firewood) close to the time that i was ready for bed, to the savory and fresh Mexican Breakfasts that were ready for me as soon as i woke up, el Refugio at times felt better than home.

I had a fun and relaxing time, the decoration of each room (I stayed at Guicha) was very cozy and homely, the location (walking distance from the Plaza Principal) was ideal.

I will definitely be back to Patzcuaro, and when i'm back, after this wonderful experience, i only have one place in mind: El Refugio.

Room Tip: The patio is very welcoming and the room to stay is Guicha!
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I was lucky enough to stay there for a few nights twice already and I would totally do it again. The rooms are clean, safe and very well located, the staff is always helpfull and warm. By far the best place to stay at if you are planning on making a trip to Patzcuaro an amazing everlasting memory.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Of all the places in Mexico and Guatemala that we have stayed in over the years, El Refugio en Patzcuaro is the best. Our host, Martín, could not have been more helpful. The breakfasts he served were tasty, fresh and plentiful. His kitchen and dining room have been featured in the book "Mexicocina" because of the classic Mexican design. Our room was equally visually pleasing with antiques, paintings, fresh flowers and a fireplace. The thick stone walls insured tranquility. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent in the room, the dining room and the patio. El Refugio means the refuge and that really was a good definition of this wonderful B&B. Since returning from Michoacan I have told everyone what a special place this was to stay. I can't imagine visiting Patzcuaro and not staying here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

El Refugio is not only a beautiful lodging, but the innkeeper, Martin, welcomes you as if you are at home. The rooms are unique and filled with Mexican art, and many have fireplaces and an electric heating pad, which is very necessary in January for the cool evenings. The gourmet breakfasts cooked each morning are served in a lovely dining room on charming Mexican pottery. Delicious! We were able to use the kitchen as our own to prepare sunset cocktails and snacks. Martin had many suggestions for nearby towns to visit, and even accompanied us one morning to show us his favorite spots in town. The tranquil patios, folk art decor, and attentive service were impeccable. Wi-fi is available in a book and art-laden sitting room just off the patio

There are also several apartments available within the complex, offering flexibility for larger groups. The inn is a bit difficult to locate even though right in town (there are three El Refugios in Patzcuaro!), so be sure to have the exact address if arriving by taxi. Patzcuaro is a lovely colonial town brimming with ambiance. We felt fortunate to have stayed in El Refugio and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I stayed at El Refugio en Patzcuaro for the festivities during Día de los Muertos. Martín is the perfect host. Upon arrival he showed me my room along with the rest of the house. The house is beautifully decorated with folk art from all over Mexico and paintings from the colonial period. My room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was different every morning. We were served freshly squeezed fruit juice, a choice of tea or coffee, a platter of fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, freshly baked bread or sweet rolls and the main breakfast meal. The house is very quiet, peaceful and relaxing. Martín speaks English, which is helpful for people who are not fluent in Spanish. He was most gracious and helpful. One day he even walked me to the Casa de Cambio that was nearby. I would highly recommend staying at El Refugio en Patzcuaro. I already made a reservation to stay there next year for La Semana Santa. This is truly a jewel in Patzcuaro!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to El Refugio en Patzcuaro? Share your experiences!