TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 93 Restaurants in Ajijic
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Restaurant at Hacienda del Lago is in located in our central garden courtyard and grand salon. This season the restaurant at Hacienda del Lago is taking a distinctly Mexican direction. Offering traditional Mexican dishes in our elegant spanish colonial setting. The additional of our Gourmet Taqueria Menu gives a modern gourmet twist on traditional Mexican street food such as mini torta ahogada with duck confit.
Austin, Texas
“An authentic five stars experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were told to be prepared to enjoy a deeply pleasurable experience that would arouse our senses. Well, the evening meet all of our expectations and more.
Your eyes will first appreciate the splendor of this luxurious boutique hotel as well as the beauty of the gardens. As you sit down your will catch the aroma emanating from the stately kitchen which will undoubtedly whet your appetite. Glancing through the menu, you can confirm that this is indeed a unique establishment. The Spanish Chef sense of creativity will delight you palate: The Prawn Carpaccio over risotto was innovative, and the Medallion de Boeuf stuffed with Foie Gras was as you would have it in a top restaurant in France. The wine list was distinctive (not the same old list you find in most other places): our Argentinian Malbec was the appropriate selection with our dinner. The pistachio mouse concluded the culinary part of the evening.
The impeccable service did not rush us, and we had the added pleasure of listening to the world-class live act (while sipping a remarkable Cabernet). This was the perfect complement for this refined evening. The bill was commensurate with the experience.

This place has significantly raised the bar with this 5 stars, sophisticated dining experience. While we hope others will follow that trend, but in the meantime we already know that this restaurant will undoubtedly establish itself as one of the top one in Ajijic. There's just nothing like it in the area.

• Visited November 2013

Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico
“Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely dinner, drinks and dessert in a beautiful setting. A bit pricey but compared to what you would get in Toronto it's not too bad at all.

Visited March 2013
Chapala, Mexico
“Terrible experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Last evening after great anticipation, we dined at Hacienda del Lago. What an awful edxperience! We were a group of four with reservations. We arrived on time. We waited at our table for 30 minutes until as a waiter rushed by us we asked for menus, we received 2 for the 4 of us. Another 15 minutes lapsed until our drink order was taken.and more time elapsed before the wine arrived. Then we waited. Finally someone took our dinner orders, then we waited a very long time until our appetizers arrived, but only three not the soup for our 4th member. After another interminable wait, our entres arrived. Two of the four were wrong.This entire experience lasted more than 3 hours.
When I phoned the next morning to speak with someone regarding this "dining diaster", I was informed by the owner that Tuesdays are martini night and we really don't want diners. He finished by say " Obvfiously you won't be back so I don't want to speak with you.
My advice, stay away unless you want a martini.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NamasteHospitality, Owner at Hacienda del Lago Restaurant, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
It's hard to even decide where to being with this complete fabrication. First, when these guests arrived the table was set WITH menus on the table. Tuesday nights are extremely busy nights for us because of our Live Jazz and it was obvious that these were the only people who were not aware of our live music and I can understand if it was not what they were anticipate. Rather than do the courteous and logical, simply tell us that they were looking for something quieter for the evening and go elsewhere, they decided to take out their frustration on the entire staff. I actually had two other tables comment to me and to the waiter that they felt bad for him and they were embarrassed at the way these people treated the waiter.

There was a confusion with one order. The grilled octopus comes either served on a bed of pasta or a salad. When the order arrived the client very rudely pushed the plate away and said that she had wanted it on pasta not salad. When the waiter said "I'm sorry I thought you said salad, I will have them change it" her husband jumps at the waiter in a very combative matter accusing the waiter of yelling at them.

The next morning I received a berating phone call form this client who was clearly only looking for an argument. The first thing out of her mouth was "It was the worst experience of my life and we will NEVER be back". I listened while I let her explain. She mentioned the music and I said "Currently we are only open to the public on Tuesdays for our Live Jazz night, that is what everyone comes for". From here she started yelling at me and accusing me of yelling at her, just as her husband did to the waiter the previous evening. When she started with personal attacks and wouldn't even let my try to explain I ended the conversation.

Of course we never said that we don't want people to eat dinner, that doesn't even make sense. When we were offering a two for one martini special, dinner is the only way we actually do business. It's unfortunate to see so much bitterness in people, but unfortunately when dealing with the public we do occasionally get people who like to ruin the evening for everyone around them. We are fortunate that this is rare and that in general we have such great clients that are almost like family.
Ajiji
“Ambience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have eaten three meals at the Hacienda del Lago and have always enjoyed a wonderful experience. The grounds and ambience exceed anything Lakeside, if you want to experience elegant, unhurried dining reminiscent of the gracious hospitality of a true hacienda. The menu is creative and the fare is served in an attentive manner.

Most recently, we celebrated my wife's birthday along with 8 others. We sat at a large round table under a covered veranda and watched the lightning and rainfall typical of early summer. The meals were excellent.

I had specially prepared octopus which was tender and succulent. The others, less adventurous, were treated to salmon, duck, pasta and lamb shank. My wife's lamb shank was cooked to perfection. We stretched our happy event into four hours, all the while attended to by our waiter(s) who made sure that all the meals were served at the same time.

The meal was underscored by a moist, chocolate birthday cake with creamy white frosting.

The Hacienda is THE place to go for your special meals..or if you just want to relax in a truly
wonderful atmosphere and soak up the ambience of the beautiful grounds.

• Visited June 2013
Ajijic
“Wonderful cuisine and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This recently (to me) hotel is 2 blocks from my home. Seven of us went for dinner last night. The service was excellent. The menu is large and can accommodate a range of palates. I tried a new martini at the suggestion of the owner and was more than pleased. I can't say enough about how personable, individualized and courteous all who worked there were. The restaurant is only one aspect of a completely renovated B and B. I learned they will now have jazz on Tuesday nights so will go back Tuesday for another perfect martini and dinner.

• Visited June 2013