TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 93 Restaurants in Ajijic
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Restaurant at Hacienda del Lago is in located in our central garden courtyard and grand salon. This season the restaurant at Hacienda del Lago is taking a distinctly Mexican direction. Offering traditional Mexican dishes in our elegant spanish colonial setting. The additional of our Gourmet Taqueria Menu gives a modern gourmet twist on traditional Mexican street food such as mini torta ahogada with duck confit.
Ajijic, Mexico
“Pretty face, average place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The setting is indeed beautiful. That is the best part of this place. This is a lovely Ajijic home now be used as "Boutique Hotel and Restaurant" Thus, they are cooking from a home kitchen. The original chef has now left. I have been there three times with only one good experience. The service is slow. I found myself often looking for a waiter. A group dinner there was rather painful in ordering and receiving food. The brownie desert was not a homemade brownie, but one from somewhere like Costco. One time for lunch for 3 the salads were great. Last weekend, 6 of us went for Brunch. We were hungry waiting an hour to be served, but nothing was offered for us to nibble on. I walked to the kitchen to ask for bread and butter, yet they never brought that to us until the food was served. They served 5 of us and one person was kept waiting at least 5 minutes until her entree arrived. When the eggs and cold steak arrived there was no sign of the potatoes and asparagus that were described on the menu. When asked, the waiter said that was coming. There was no attempt to tell us this until we asked. And 5 minutes later, they brought us the side dishes. When we asked for some salsa, we were told that there was no more. Upon suggesting they they make some more, a fresh salsa arrived. The food and presentation was only average. I think they are suffering from exit of the former chef. The prices are high which comes with certain expectations, which are not being met.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Lunenburg, Canada
“A classy, romantic, elegant setting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Several long time Ajijic residents described the town’s newest restaurant with mixed reviews. Some felt prices were a tad high. So, we decided on Sunday brunch as we were told the property had to be seen.

We crossed the threshold into the garden and entered a luxurious world of exotic plants, ferns, trees, fountains and swimming pool. Tony Bishop the youthful owner arranged a table for us in the garden. There isn’t a comparable romantic setting in Ajijic. Hacienda is unique.

After a Mimosa I chose Eggs Benedict ($80 pesos) with smoked Canadian ham over a toasted English muffin and topped with grilled asparagus and classic Hollandaise Sauce. The eggs were cooked perfectly and the presentation was beautiful. My wife chose French toast ($80 pesos). The rustic banana bread was battered in a mixture of cinnamon, vanilla, cream and rum, golden baked and served with syrup and fresh local organic fruit. The banana bread made this dish special. Total brunch cost $330 pesos including tip, much less than I would pay for a comparable meal and experience in Canada or the US.

Table service was slow possibly because the layout is large and tables are far apart and the employees are learning their trade. Food quality was excellent. We’ll return in a few months after Tony has had time to work out normal start up challenges. I hope Hacienda receives 5 stars from me then. This restaurant will become one of Ajijic’s favorites.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lake Chapala, Mexico
“Elegant, Excellent Food, Beautiful Setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Privada Ocampo, No. 1, Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico
We went to Hacienda del Lago last night with two fellow February birthday friends. It's a gorgeous place, and everything is elegance doubled, tripled even! The place is a beautiful hacienda and each room feels as if you're in someone's house enjoying their amenities...Wonderful. We ate in the dining room. We loved the San Francisco garden area, and the music room was beautiful also. We wandered around the place before our friends got there, just enjoying the atmosphere.

Lots of people waiting on us. We had already perused the menu online, so we were pretty sure what we were going to have. The food was delicious (a great tuna steak for me!), the service extremely slow...there was a lot of time between courses, even though we were the only ones there for awhile. Yes, I do not want to be rushed, and I like time to enjoy my food without the courses one right after the other...but there's a fine line between not rushing and feeling as if they've forgotten about you, OR maybe something was going wrong in the kitchen! For instance, it took me awhile to order a second glass of wine. However, everything is cooked fresh and the food is excellent. One thing...we thought for the amount of the food on the plate, they might want to use a little smaller plate! :-) Great rolls and butter, and a beautiful little special appetizer to begin with...Everything was served so beautifully...you can tell there is a real artist in the kitchen, cooking wise and stylist wise!

The dinner was around $920 peso (not including tip) from appetizers to dessert (escargot, tuna carpaccio, creme brulee and brownie flambe) and two glasses of wine (red bordeaux). I felt the menu was a tad limited, because when it came time to order my entree, I ended up with tuna!...a tuna steak. I guess I should have thought that out a bit more since I was able to look at the menu online in advance. The only steak is a rib eye, and I'm more fond of filet mignon. The men got the lamb shanks, and they were good. The other lady got the rib eye, and it was huge. My tuna was on a pineapple with a wonderful sauce. It would seem to me that Hacienda del Lago is now the most expensive restaurant in town. It's a great place to go for a special dinner though...I would definitely go again, but not for awhile...need to save my money! :-)

However, I need to qualify that...obviously for as elegant a dinner it was, the prices are so much less than in the states....around $72 USD...nowhere could I get such an elegant meal in such a beautiful setting for such an inexpensive price. I've got to keep that in perspective when I eat out in Mexico!

Some of the food items we enjoyed:

Escargot - Classic Escargot Bourguignonne in fresh herbs and butter served on a wilted spinach and garlic salad. $ 110 ($9 USD)

Tuna Sashimi - Sushi grade thin slices marinated with ginger, garlic, citrus, and soy sauce, served with fresh watermelon and cucumber salad $120 (approx $9.50 USD)

Lamb Shank - Braised slow oven cooked with Moroccan spices, served with garlic mash potato and organic local sautéed vegetables. $220 (around $17 USD)

Bluefin Tuna Steak - Grilled rare and served with fennel and garlic butter sauce, sautéed greens and charred pineapple “pico de gallo” $190 (around $15 USD)

And I would definitely go back to try their three-course lunch for $180 pesos...a great way to see the restaurant, and enjoy the service and the food, and a little less pricey obviously. Check out their menus. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

All in all, for the foodie that I am, it was a great birthday!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Outstanding New Restaurant in Ajijic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

In the past week I have dined twice at this restaurant and also in many of the highest Tripadvisor rated restaurants in Ajijic. The Hacienda del Lago restaurant is in a class by itself for the high quality of its ingredients, preparation, presentation, service and ambience. The location in and around the garden of the Hacienda is superb.

As I also lived at the hotel I had the opportunity to observe that all of the tables were occupied by both Mexican and expatriate local residents for most meals. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone wishing a creative meal and very enjoyable dining experience.

In a previous review of this restaurant the reviewer's concern about portion size and his observations about "ladies" reflect upon him rather than this restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Guadalajara,Mexico
“Restaurant serving nouvelle cuisine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We went for late lunch with friends to this new hotel/restaurant.
The set 3 course menu is expensive for this area,but others had enjoyed,so we gave it a try.
Thew portions are very small, to the extent that the meal was poor value for money.I think some ladies will enjoy the surroundings and not be concerned about the small portions.
However, to attract a larger clientele in the overcrowded lunch/comida market, the restaurant will have to do better.

yoamoplaya, Owner at Hacienda del Lago Restaurant, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
I would really like to adress the issue about price. We serve a three course gourmet lunch for $180 pesos, roughly 13 USD. How by any standards that can be considered expensive, especially considering that it is 5 table restaurant in a multi-million dollar estate, is actually offensive.

Ajijic is filled with many cheap quantity over quality restaurants, we are not one of them. Our concept of fine dinning in an intimate atmosphere is not for everyone, at at any price, and we accept that. We are not here to "Compete in the overcrowded lunch/comida market". We opened to fill a void of fine dinning establishments in the lake Chapala area and have had great support and great success with a large repeat client base. Once again, our concept is not for everyone, and that's okay, but it's important to consider the whole including the atmosphere, food quality, menu offerings, location, etc.