TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Description: Phone number is 766-5665
Edmonton
“Good Thai Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The food was quite good and the cook stopped by our table for a friendly visit to check on how we liked the dinner.

Visited March 2013

76% Recommend
Chapala, Mexico
“Good service, quiet ambience, and authentic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We like this place as a change of pace from Mexican food. I used to live in Thailand and have found this place to have authentic food although less spicy than Thailand. Ask them to kick it up a notch if you like spicy food. Portions are large, we often split them or bring some home. They are closed on Thursdays, but this mid-week closure day has changed before, so check to make sure it is open. It is one of the few restaurants in Ajijic that is open for dinner on Sunday. They take reservations.

Visited February 2013
Kingston, Canada
“Flavour ,flavour,flavour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We asked new owner Kinna Bilvarn ,from California,to surprise us and put together a meal for four. Flavour,flavour ,flavour.We all loved the meal from appetizers,to soup ,main courses,and of course dessert. Favourites were the tom yum soup crispy s,drunken noodles, phad thai & the bannana dessert.We can attest that the growing pains are over and the New Simply Thai has landed.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chapala, Mexico
“A Better Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We decided to give Simply Thai another try because there is nowhere else to get pho and I am glad we did because the soup was very good this time. As with our previous visits though, there were some disapointments.
We arrived early in the evening on a Sunday and ordered Thai Iced tea but the waiter said they were out. I suggested he make some more...it was early , they were not busy and this IS a Thai restaurant. He said that only the owner makes the tea and she wasn´t there. Well, that seems to be an inefficient way of doing things but this sort of thing is typical with this restaurant.
I had Pho again and this time it was very good. The broth had been made with Oxtail and Oxtail makes a rich, tasty broth and it was nicely spiced. We had to ask, but the waiter gave us a choice of thin or thick noodles and we chose the thin ones. I don´t know what would have been served if we didn´t ask. The last time it was pad thai noodles and it was not good. But this time the noodles were cooked to perfection, soft and delicious . All of the fresh ingredients were impecably fresh and plentiful and the pieces of Oxtail in the soup were especially good and added depth to the soup. The other meat, the thin slices that are supposed to be placed in the bowl raw was quite tough and flavorless and seemed to have been pre cooked.... but I can do without it (it was inedible) and next time I will ask that it be left out. The owner tends to make cost cutting substitutions at the expence of quality. We suspected that this meat was a sirloin cut, not filet cooked in the hot broth in the bowl.

There were nice new chopsticks of good quality to eat with this time and we appreciated that. There were new bowls but they were plastic, which is unfortunate because the soup does not stay hot in a plastic bowl. It takes a long time to eat this soup so when it got cold I asked that it be put in a to go container so that I could heat it up at home. Why they dont have ceramic bowls I simply do not understand. This is not the type of restaurant that should be sporting plastic dishes. The elegant decor is a stand out quality at Simply Thai, few restaurants in Ajijic are so nicely appointed.

One other thing I must mention is that it is shameful that the chef is reviewing her own cooking here on traveladvisor. The reviews would be more helpful if they were coming from the customers. No one needs to hear how great the chef thinks her cooking is.

I am going to give Simply Thai an ¨average¨ rating this time but with a few adjustments it would have easily been ¨very good¨. We will be back, unless someone else in town starts making great pho and serving it in ceramic bowls.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Tasty and Affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I ate here 4 times in 3 days, and each time the food was delicious. I highly recommend the drunken noodles and tom yum soup. Especially the tom yum soup. Do not leave the restaurant without having some. Although it was odd to see pho, a Vietnamese soup, on a Thai restaurant menu, it was as good as everything else I tried on the menu. The pad see ew was good, the pad thai was great, so too the crispy egg rolls, yellow curry, and thai fried rice. As for dessert, the warm tapioca with banana and mango was so good, I'm now looking forward to finding this at other Thai restaurants.

It was my first time here, so I didn't get to experience either the original owner's way of making food or the growing pains this place went through in the last few months. I'm thankful to find this place as it's regained its footing. I hope to come back here next year and find it packed with people enjoying their great food.

• Visited January 2013