TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

La Nueva Posada
Donato Guerra No.9 | Apdo 30, Ajijic, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 22 Ajijic B&B and Inns
Newmarket, Canada
“Great room, except for the carpet.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at La Nueva Posada at the beginning and the end of our two week trip around Mexico. We arrived late from the airport on our first night, but the very helpful night watchman was expecting us and promptly showed us to our room. Our only complaint about the room was that it was carpeted, and smelled like it had been recently treated with carpet freshener. I don't know why anyone in Mexico would use wall to wall carpeting. The shower was excellent with lots of hot water. The included breakfast was superb in a lovely restaurant. We had to leave fairly early on our second day, so the staff at the restaurant were a bit rushed and I think our first coffee was Nescafe, but otherwise the coffee and the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Benbrook, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed five nights during Thanksgiving holiday. Close to everything Ajijic and on the shore of Lake Chapala. We will return. This community may be my retirement home. Gringos from U.S. and Canada are plentiful and welcoming.

• Stayed November 2012
Benbrook,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed five days and couldn't have found a better place right on Lake Chapala. The food was great, the owner was so nice and the place was kept clean. The whole town of Ajijic, Mexico was fantastic. A quaint little place with more gringos than Mexicans. We met a lot of nice expats that have lived there for years and couldn't say enough about how they loved it. A small village with a big heart and great food all around.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor (no elevators) that faced the lake. We slept with out balcony door...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The owners and attendants were all very accommodating even before we set foot upon this charming little place. They answered all of our questions in a timely and professional manner. Our children were welcomed and that made our experience even more pleasurable. The owner made every effort to make us feel content. The entire trip was well organized thanks to their suggestions. We are happy to recommend this beautiful lake haven to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I spent two weeks in Ajijic at the La Nueva Posada and it exceeds as described. The three course breakfast was awesome very day and is included in the rate. The service is outstanding. Mike and his staff go the extra above and beyond making you welcome and at home. I will definitely go back and I hope it is very soon. Loved Ajijic and the weather is the greatest! Don't hesitate to make this your home in Ajijic.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I lived in Ajijic when I was a kid and really got to know the town when it was a true Mexican village with a small American expat community of artists and writers (1973). When I was there the posada was right across from my house. My old house is now a shop called Mi Ajijic. The old posada is now a restaurant, which is why I couldn't find it at first. The Nueva Posada is several blocks down on Donato Guerra,but still on the lake. Despite my initial disorientation I found it and totally fell in love with it. It's run by the Eager family, who although they're American by birth are truly connected to their Mexican community. The style is classic Mexican Spanish colonial and the staff not only helped us plan fun excursions, but also helped me connect to the Ajijic of my youth. The food at the Posada is classic Jalisco Mexican, the service is great, and the setting is even better than the original Posada. Given my original 1970's pre invasion experience of Ajijic I was afraid I wouldn't recognize the place, but I found that although much had changed, Ajijic had retained its essential Mexican quality. The Nueva Posada was part of this. It feels like an authentic part of the village.

• Stayed October 2011
Ajijic, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

There is no better place to stay or to eat in Ajijic. I live here, have for almost four years, and the Eagers are my dear friends. I cannot say enough good about the hotel, the restaurant, of the owners.
All of us who live here feel the same. My son (from L.A.), my sister (from southern Indiana) both agree with me. This is possibly the best and most comfortable hotel in Mexico, owned by a Canadian/ Mexican family. Try it!!!

Room Tip: I would choose the second floor; all face the lake.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to La Nueva Posada? Share your experiences!