TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“the perfect Ajijic destination” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ajijic Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ajijic
Ajijic Suites
You added Ajijic Suites to your Saves list
Calle Hidalgo #72, Ajijic, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 22 Ajijic B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tacoma, Washington
“the perfect Ajijic destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The town of Ajijic is charming, friendly and picturesque; add comfortable and those same words could also describe Ajijic Suites. Ajijic Suites is in the best location - close to the malacon, the Plaza, restaurants and shopping, while still maintaining the ambiance of old Mexico. We loved the fact that Luis will greet you at the airport and that Elaine, who is from England and has immersed herself with knowledge about Ajijic and the area, is so helpful with directions, recommendations and tips. We would definitely recommend Ajijic Suites for a short visit or a long stay. We feel like we've found our go-to place in Ajijic!

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong - rooms surround a courtyard and fountain. Second floor rooms...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thanks for taking the time/trouble to post such a nice review, Judi! It was a pleasure having you & Will to stay & we hope you'll return soon to absorb the magic that's Ajijic! Happy Holidays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Ajijic Suites is superb....we have travelled extensively in Europe, Costa Rica & Equador & this was by far the cleanest, most comfortable & well equipped suites we have come across.
Elaine & Luis are wonderfully helpful hosts & we made some great friends during our 2 week stay.
Helen & Kathleen....Canada

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thanks for the great review, Helen. It was a pleasure having you & Kathy here & we were glad that you were able to cram so much fun into your brief stay that you rented a house here before you left! Roll on May when you can come back & plug into the magic energy that's Ajijic!
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

To experience the true flavour of Mexico, I couldn't have chosen a more hospitable place than Ajijic, Jalisco, and my stay with hosts Elaine and Luis, at Ajijic Suites Hotel.

Under a starry night sky Luis met my arrival at Guadalajara airport, just 35 minutes away, and brought with him my childhood friend recently moved to Ajijic. He whisked us to my awaiting suite at their charming Mexican hotel. Although the hour was late, Elaine was there to greet me - ensure that all was well and my every comfort was provided (including a kettle to boil water for my tea). A few days later, it was Luis and me to pick up another friend to join me on this adventure.

The hotel's charming inner courtyard was the perfect setting for a quiet read, or inviting guests for a pot luck supper. Newly found friends at the Suites joined in adding to that evening and followed by a splendid day at the spa... it's an absolute must. So you see, Ajijic Suites is more that a place to stay - it's safe, impeccable, a home away from home,

I brought with me a 'must do' list, which included a dentist, local mover, furniture shop, not to mention a real estate agent. Elaine's personal touch and experience was applied to each and every query I proposed. And that included correspondence between my estate agent back in Montreal with an urgent reply concerning an offer on my residence there. Elaine and her printer to the rescue. What a relief. An essential must was to meet other artists, this too was aided by Elaine.

The oddest thing happened in Ajijic - I didn't feel like a stranger. There were smiles everywhere. I was even invited to a wedding. I didn't know the couple, but I was a friend of friends, and that was good enough for the couple celebrating 50 years of marriage. Encouraged to try my limited Spanish I bought fresh morning bread and sweet buns from a little shop along Hidalgo; again welcomed with 'hola' and smiles - they are every where.

How lucky was I to hear the brass bands in the village square as dancers wove in and out and fireworks blazed Halloween night. November 2nd, the Day of the Dead brought families to the streets and cemetery. Colourful flowers, ribbons and balloons festooned the grave sites, food offerings laid neatly beside photos to honour their departed. And we were welcome.

It was a busy two weeks, and over all too soon. The rooster crows - time to go North. It's 5:30 a.m. and Luis is at the door to take us back to Guadalajara. Venus shines brightest with her morning stars before a lavender haze crests the Sierra Madres... Ajijic magic!

Thank you Elaine and Luis, you've made my stay a wonderful experience - I shall return to your authentic Mexico.

Robina N. Montreal

Room Tip: As long as you let Elaine know what you are looking for, all will be well. Enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Wow, Robina! I think you need to add "writer" to your list of accomplishments! Thank you so much for such a wonderful review - not just for us, but for Ajijic & Mexico. All too often this wonderful country, & its people, are not seen for all that they truly are, but your words will, hopefully, help the scales fall from peoples' eyes. Thank you for being such a wonderful guest, & we look forward to welcoming you back to Ajijic soon as a treasured full time member of our wonderful community.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

From the greeting at the airport to the sound advice and recommendations of Elaine and Luis, I could not have wished for better treatment. They simply went out of their way to ensure that my trip and that of my fellow guests was unforgetable and replete with good restaurants, sightseeing and health tips - the trip to the spa and the wonderful massage therapist that Elaine recommended were world class. The hotel litself is spotlessly clean, well managed, and charming with its picturesque inner courtyard. A great time was had by all, thanks to Elaine and Luis! I will definitely be back!
Mary H, Montreal, Canada

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thanks for the great review, Mary. It was such fun having you & Robina to stay, so your departure left a "void" - that you'll both have to hurry back & fill! We're always delighted when we can successfully share the magic that's Ajijic with our guests & to see them deriving as much pleasure from the village, it's people & amenities, as we do. We hope that your house sells quickly & that you're able to return & make this your permanent home soon so that you can begin to really enjoy, & benefit from, all that Ajijic & its environs has to offer.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Now I have a friend in Ajijic. Elaine was Fantastic. All her recommendations for restaurants and activities were perfect. Rooms were clean and comfortable and the private court yard gave a cozy villa feel to the stay. We should have had the entire Canadian Sr. Water Ski team stay there. It was walking distance to so many great restaurants and shops. We really felt like we were staying in the village with the people. I felt more then safe even walking home late at night. What a great experience. Thanks Elaine. Dave Phillips, Canada

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thanks for submitting such a nice review, Dave. It was a pleasure having you to stay & my only regret is that I didn't get out to watch you skii - next time! We hope that we'll have the opportunity to enjoy your company again in the future & will make a definite plan to be your cheerleaders!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I spent 10 days at Ajijic Suites and Elaine and Luis were incredible hosts. Even the emails I received prior my arrival made me feel welcome. The self contained suites were clean ,private,quiet and overlooked the well kept courtyard. , Telephone ,laundry ,Internet and room services were all excellent. Location was perfect as it is away from busy part of town but still close enough to walk with easy access to restaurants , lake walk ect. I will definitely stay there on my next visit and will recommend Ajijic Suites to my friends.

Room Tip: There are 3 rooms that are upstairs that i would recommend
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write such a kind review, Steve. It was a pleasure having you & Dave to stay & I'm only sorry you were so busy taking care of the Team that you didn't have time to enjoy some of the local sights & sounds. We hope you'll come again & be able to relax & absorb the lovely energy with which Ajijic pulses - as well as the great weather & people! Take care & come back & see us again soon!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This coming January I will once again head south to Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico. Nestled a mile high in the Sierra Madres. National Geographic has determined it is the second-best climate in the world. That’s good enough for me. There I’ll again be staying at my favourite place, Ajijic Suites. It will be my third winter there. There are many reasons why I keep returning.
Ajijic village is conveniently located a twenty-five minute taxi ride from the International Guadalajara airport. Guadalajara, Mexico’s second-largest city, is only a 45-minute drive north of Ajijic and a great place to visit. If you come to visit, be prepared to stay longer.
At Ajijic Suites the bilingual owners, Elaine and Luis, are friendly and helpful. The hotel, with eight units, is clean and charmingly Mexican in décor. It has a lovely inner courtyard with a large fountain, plants and flowers. Unlike other hotels in the area, each suite has a separate bedroom, bathroom, and a comfortable all-purpose room that combines living room and kitchen. The kitchen areas have all the essentials to prepare your own meals – a small refrigerator, sink, microwave, appliances and utensils. This is unusual for Ajijic hotels. There’s laundry and maid service. There’s also free telephone service (Vonnage) to U.S and Canada, cable television and WiFi. Rates are reasonable.
Ajijic Suites is conveniently located, less than a ten-minute walk to the beautiful ‘plaza’ (village square) at the centre of the village. It’s a short three blocks to Lake Chapala, Mexico’s largest lake. The malecon along the lake is wonderful, a great place to walk, jog and meet people, locals and ex-pats. There you have beautiful views of the lake and surrounding mountains.
Watch the sun set while enjoying a beer at the wonderful Tequila Republic on the pier. Steps further along the shore you’ll get a friendly greeting from Yves, the owner of Yves Restaurant. Here you’ll find excellent food with a great view of Mount Garcia across the lake. You’ll see Vino Blanco the albino donkey that Yves rescued wander on the beach. Have a margarita next door at the Old Posada, where Tennessee Williams played poker and wrote the short story that became his hit play “A Streetcar Named Desire.” This is but a sampling of the many reasonably-priced, clean restaurants and cafes in the village. Of course the wonderful Mexican cuisine reigns but every nationality is represented from Chinese to French to Japanese to Thai.
Colourful murals decorate the walls of this 400-year-old cobblestone village. There are dozens of small art galleries and pottery and craft shops. Ajijic Suites is an easy walk to one of my favourite places, the lovely Lake Chapala Society gardens. There you’ll find a great variety of services, clubs and activities: yoga, Spanish lessons, music, interesting lectures, poetry readings, comfortable patios, snack bar, koi ponds, movies and an English-language library. I tend to hang out there a lot, reading, writing and chatting. You’ll find writers at work there as well. A vibrant writers group meets every two weeks. Ajijic has been a magnet for writers and artists for decades. When you visit this village you’ll understand why.
To get a taste of the fascinating places to visit in the Lakeside area and beyond, check out the excellent blog, Jim and Carole’s Mexico Adventure, by Ajijic resident Jim Cook. Find it at cookjmex.blogspot.com/
So, there are many reasons to visit Ajijic and stay at Ajijic Suites. That’s why so many guests like me return year after year.
John (Canadian)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Wow, John! What a very informative & interesting review! Thanks for taking the trouble to report so extensively on your stay with us, & on the many wonderful places, activities & attractions of Ajijic & its environs. I hope that other intrepid travellers will be inspired by your interesting narrative & follow up on the link to Jim Cook's blog. The thing you didn't mention was the "event of the year in 2014" when filming begins on your movie - Pat y Paco! We're delighted to have been a part of the writer/producer/director's support network in the pre-production stage & excited to see it all coming together next year. It's all happening in Ajijic!

Been to Ajijic Suites? Share your experiences!