“Perfect trip!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rancho La Puerta Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tecate
Rancho La Puerta Spa
You added Rancho La Puerta Spa to your Saves list
Carretera A Tijuana Km 5, Tecate 92046-3057, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tecate
New York City, New York
“Perfect trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I have wanted to travel to 'the ranch' for many years. Having been a visitor to many other spas i was anxious to see how this compared.
all i can say is that it was perfect. From the pick up at san diego airport, the nice bus ride down, the welcome reception - great!
The food was quite tasty - better than expected. The accomodations, though not luxurious are quite comfortable. The grounds are amazing! Everywhere you turn is beauty.
The staff - great! from the dining room to the fitness class to the concierge - couldn't ask for better.
wonderful hikes, cooking classes in the amazing cooking school - organic garden, art classes - didn't know i had it in me!
Lectures or movie in the evenings.
CAn't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

A little piece of paradise..wow!!! This is the place to go to do nothing except think about yourself. "The Ranch" as it is referred to is huge complex with paths meandering through gorgeous flowers and trees that connect one building to another. We were there at almost capacity for people and initially thought that we would be fighting for pool chairs and standing in line for classes. It was just the opposite!!!! It was amazing to walk around and barely run into anyone. It was so serene and calming. You can do whatever you want in the day...whether you choose to do five work out classes a day (I managed four) or sit by the pool and read a book. Listen to lectures, hike in the morning, take an art class, go to cooking school, swing a hoola hoop, learn to meditate.
Meals were unbelievable. No chicken,beef, salt, alcohol (except for two nights with wine)! I didn't miss it at all. You could ask for bread and butter if you wanted or ask for double servings ..there really was no lack of food! It was buffet style breakfast (I ate more than i ever do at home) and buffet lunch as well. We had a complementary fresh fruit plate sent to our room each day.Honestly, we had to cut back our eating by about day three as we were having WAY too many calories for the weigh loss that we hoping for. As it was, we all lost about 3 to 5 pounds. I have never felt so healthy and refreshed.
LOTS of walking just to get around - they provide free pedometers for your stay so you can count the miles! The spa services were fantastic and the staff were exceptionally efficient. Classes were great and the weight room was first class.
As it is a destination spa, almost everyone arrives on the same day - making it feel like a family by the time you leave. You get to know faces and meet so many fabulous people.
We took a Ranch van to the border on the way home and had a taxi meet us on the U.S. side to drive us to the airport as the bus times didn't jive with our flight time. What a breeze that was. Cost was 100.00 flat rate.
All in all...exceptional. Will try to do it again next year. That's the plan.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Medfield, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Where to begin?! This was my 3d visit to the "Ranch" and it certainly won't be my last. I booked it for a mommy rejuvenation week and I got it and more. This place is hard to really put into words as it is not a straight forward spa, it is so much more. Besides the brilliant selection of classes on the hour with expert and engaging instructors, the meals are exquisite (cooking school and organic garden are heavenly and run by the most enthusiastic and passionate gardener), the treatments are divine and the gardens are truly breathtaking. At every corner, I was intoxicated with the glorious smells coming from each variety of flower. The rooms are beautifully decorated with Mexican art and very clean and comfortable. The staff are genuinely friendly and gracious. The early morning mountain hikes are the best way to start each day. The Ranch is good for the soul, spirit, body and mental state.... I LOVE Rancho La Puerta!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
chicago,illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

My husband and I have traveled to many different spas in the US and abroad but this one is the BEST in many ways.I almost didn't write this review because I don't want people running to our special place but then I felt like I was being selfish. The Ranch grounds are so beautiful and relaxing but there's nothing pretentious about this place.I know it takes an enormous amount of work to run this amazing spa but you never feel like people are trying too hard...everything just HAPPENS....wonderful accomodations,fantastic organic and mostly vegetarian food grown right at the ranches own farm! The classes and instructors are superb and knowledgeable. The spa services are the best we've ever experienced. My toe was broken before we went to the Ranch so I didn't get to do the hikes but I heard they were beautiful.

We can't WAIT to get back to Rancho La Puerta.I think our visits there will be at LEAST once,if not twice,a year.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

This is a lovely place, much like a camp for adults. It is not a good choice if you want some time alone to reflect. Many of the guests have been there before and want to socialize. I have been to Miraval several times and prefer it there.
The food and snacks are better and plentiful at Miraval. I weigh only 100 lbs, but had a hard time adjusting to the lack of snacks (except fresh fruit) between the meals at Rancho. Also, there are very few options at each meal. Miraval has lots of entree choices, a large breakfast and lunch buffet (in addition to the sit-down choices), and a snack bar where you can get some healthy smoothies, muffins or yogurt between meals.
A deal breaker for me was the bed at Rancho. It was as hard as a rock, and even though the staff graciously added an "egg crate" to the mattress, I never had a good night's sleep. I woke up with a stiff neck or sore shoulder daily. The pillows and linens are below par as well. Miraval beds and linens are luxurious. I also like to have a cocktail before dinner, but there is none of that at Rancho. The diet is so strict, that they don't even have cream for coffee.
I will say that I prefer the classes at Rancho. The instructors are fabulous and entertaining. The prices are also good at Rancho, so it is a great choice if that's important to you.
Pros: Nice staff and guests, good food(but not enough), great massages, beautiful grounds, lots of activities.
Cons: Hard bed, rustic and dated room, no TV, wireless or voicemail in the room, not enough food, no alcohol, tips encouraged too much.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

This was a wonderful experience. I spent a week here and it was worth every penny. I stayed in the Junior Villas, but they are worth the extra cost. I was able to receive in-room massages, and they served breakfast by the pool which was a nice treat. After a long hike in the morning, I could take a quick shower and walk a few steps to breakfast.

I head complaints about spiders and other crawly things, but it is not really a problem. The first night, I was bitten by mosquitoes, but I got some OFF and was fine the rest of the trip. News flash: You can't expect to be immersed in nature, and then complain about nature.

The food was excellent. If you are used to eating french fries, soda and ice cream every day, this will be an adjustment. I am a fairly healthy eater, so I never felt deprived and I came away with a renewed sense of purpose regarding healthy and mindful eating.

The hiking was amazing. I am a runner and in reasonably good shape, but I found the hikes very challenging and rewarding. Some of the hikes would be strenuous for people who do not exercise regularly. Several people turned back on the 3.5 mile hikes as we started to ascend. I run 10 miles a day, but I got winded climbing the hills. There are less challenging options for the older / less physically fit, or for people who want more of a meditative hike. I would like to come back during the advanced hikers week. As I went from complete hiking virgin to completing the 7.5 difficult course in one week, I would want something more challenging when I come back, which I will.

I did not attend many fitness classes. The hiking was enough for me, and I spent most of my days relaxing, going to the spa, or going to mediation class. Resist the urge to overindulge in the exercise. If you do not exercise at home, you will not change your body in 7 days here, so remember to have fun outside of the gym. You will be better off attending the meditation and hypnosis classes which teach you how to incorporate exercise into your daily life.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

This was the best thing Ive ever done for myself. I was in need of some relaxation time and to get away from life. This was the perfect place. I was able to relax and excercise, eat well and enjoy the spa. I left feeling rejuvenated and I cant wait to return!

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to Rancho La Puerta Spa? Share your experiences!