“RLP, a wonderful place to luxuriate and recharge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rancho La Puerta Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tecate
Rancho La Puerta Spa
You added Rancho La Puerta Spa to your Saves list
Carretera A Tijuana Km 5, Tecate 92046-3057, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tecate
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“RLP, a wonderful place to luxuriate and recharge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just returned from a week at RLP where there were more return visitors than first timers which says something.

The grounds are absolutely breathtaking. Tropical gardens, ponds with and without fish, sculptures, little nooks, scattered benches, flowering trees, bushes and flowers of every color---all add to the overall wonderfulness of the Ranch.
A multitude of activities and lectures are offered...there is so much variety that everyone should be able to select a different activity every hour for the 7 days without repeating. Delicious and plentiful vegetarian food with an occasional fish or chicken dinner. There is an impressive organic garden on the grounds which is the source for the fabulous and brilliantly colored daily vegetable offerings.

The vibe is very positive and upbeat. The staff is energetic and fun. if all you want to do is swim, there are 6 pools to do just that. Or if you want to use the spa, they have that too. If you just want to vegetate in your casita and have all your meals delivered, well then, that too can be arranged. They even have a dinner party around the pool with a band on the last evening.

I highly recommend Rancho La Puerta.

NOTE: Absolutely secure crossings at the borders, traveling north and south to/from San Diego. SAFE.

Room Tip: We stayed at Villas Sola which is a bit of a hike from the main campus but has it's own pool and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've now visited "The Ranch" five times. I cannot begin to describe what a wonderful place it is. You can do as much or as little as you want during your visit--take lots of exercise classes, go on hikes, take a cooking class, listen to lectures, or just get spa treatments and nap in a hammock under the trees. The grounds are beautiful, the instructors are terrific, and the food is outstanding. It gets better every year. I brought my mom and my 20-year-old daughter with me this time, and although we all did different things, the one thing we all shared was that we truly RELAXED. Any "it's scary in Mexico" crap is just that--I have been more scared living in central Phoenix at times than I've ever been here. Over the years, I've met so many amazing people during my visits, and the one thing that still amazes me is how little pretense there is--it doesn't matter if you are a movie star (Robert Redford and Bill Murray have been there during my visits), a CEO, or a stay-at-home mom. Everyone treats each other with kindness and respect. And you don't have to be in amazing shape to take classes. There are people at all fitness levels. I could go on and on, but let me end with this--I promise this will be one of the best vacations you ever take. Really.

Room Tip: The Villas are a great place to stay because you can have breakfast at the pool instead of at the di...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I had the opportunity to be guest instructors here last year and we stayed at the Ranch for a week. It was just a terrific experience. To say we loved the place would be an understatement. It has a terrific feel, the grounds are incredibly beautiful, and there's an energy there that is hard to describe.

The staff is excellent, and the room and the food were excellent. We had air conditioning in our room, no issues there.The meals were terrific, though I tend to do better with a little more protein than they typically serve. I knew this coming in, so I brought my own raw vegan protein powder to supplement their meals and that was perfect.

The spa experiences were excellent as well. My wife and I both tried Watsu. Do it! It's unlike anything you've ever done.

If you're looking for a place that is ultra modern with posh accommodations and amenities, this may not be the place for you. The accommodations are terrific, but more on the rustic side, which suits us better than 'posh'. If you don't enjoy walking, you're in for a long week. The place is designed so that you walk a lot while you're there.

Bottom line, we had a great time and fell in love with the place. We're going back to teach a class this August and we can't wait to get back to the Ranch!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Winter Haven, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Just returned from my seventh visit to RLP. I'm not going to go on here, because what Deborah Szekey and her family have accomplished on these 3,000 acres above Tecate has rightfully become the stuff of legend. I would like to say, however, that the "dangerous border" news, if it were to ever to be applied to Tecate, is just a joke. RLP is beloved by the locals and I think the large Catholic church in town would more likely be a place for problems than The Ranch. Secondly, if you are a man and think this place might not be your glass of beer, think again. The resources of this place are such that you can make your stay be about anything you want and, believe me, from a physical culture perspective, you could not exhaust or overwhelm the equipment, trainers and environs available here. Don't believe in magic? You might after a visit. I've been fortunate to travel a lot of the world, am physically active and backpack a lot. Hands down, this is my favorite all-round destination.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmette, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I just returned from my first trip ever to this lovely, relaxing, inspiring enclave on the San Diego border. To call it a 'destination spa' does not begin to describe all the wonderful experiences that are possible at a week's stay at "The Ranch". It is honestly one of the best places I've ever been to and my friends and I are all planning to return again next year - as most people do judging by the huge numbers of people who were returnees the week I was there (April 21 - 28 - it's a required Sat. arrival unless you want to wait to see if they have room last minute).
The Ranch is run by the founding family. Their generosity and philosophies still dominate to give the place a warm family feel, making the guests feel like they are part of a big group gathering. Met lots of nice people!
The food is FABULOUS - the veggies are grown in their own organic gardens which we visited and ate straight from the dirt .There was plenty of food too, not spartan spa fare. No meat or poultry but delicious fish dishes many nights. I am a big foodie and I thought I was in heaven at every meal!
I can't say enough good things about the variety and quality of the classes offered as well as the spa treatments. I especially benefited from their 'healing therapy' treatment which was extremely painful but made my ongoing neck and shoulder pain go away. It was amazing! (and gets booked up so reserve in advance). Each week there are visiting lecturers. I thought the quality of those speakers was a bit spotty......
I went with 2 friends and we had the biggest accommodations - a 2 BD 2 bath 'villa' with a kitchenette. It was a stand-alone structure so no worries about noise (although things quieted down by 9pm) There are all sorts of room configurations. The rooms aren't super fancy, pretty simple with a Mexican flavor.
I highly recommend the morning hikes. It may be tough to imagine getting up early but it's part of a new healthy outlook. There are all kinds of hikes for different abilities but it's certainly invigorating! Eating good healthy food and exercising has carried over in my home life too - a most important benefit of this trip!!!
I took their advice and booked my treatments in advance. I thought I wanted to have later afternoon times as the day was winding down. But there are still good classes at 4pm that aren't given at other times of the days, so it's better to vary your times.
We took a cooking class with visiting chef, Kate Sherwood. The cooking classes are in a beautiful complex up in the organic gardens. The atmosphere is wonderful and professional. The focus that night was meze and I learned some new techniques. I never knew you could grind split peas in a spice grinder without breaking the thing! :) Used that with fresh peas to make pea falafel. The group of 14 or so of us divided up 1 or 2 and all made dishes for a delicious smorgasbord of a dinner (with wine! a treat at the Ranch)
Note: Weather.com gives the wrong info for Tecate. You must choose Tecate CA NOT Mexico to get the right info. The other Tecate Mexico is about 2 hours away in the desert. We packed for 90-100 degree weather but it was more like 60-70 degrees - with rain. A bit on the chilly side - surprising! This week is supposed to be warm, so it's all over the place in the spring.

Room Tip: The rooms are spread out over a wide area. There are all sorts of room configurations. If you have...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

My wife and I have been going to "The Ranch," as old-timers call it, for 17 consecutive years now, and if anything we enjoy it more each time we go. It is a beautiful property with gorgeous landscaping (courtesy of the founder's daughter, a landscape architect), many miles of hiking trails, and the finest facilities including numerous gyms, spa facilities, swimming pools (3), tennis courts, and beautiful free-standing single or duplex cottages for guest lodging. The rooms are spacious, private, and comfortable. The weather is exceptional, ranging from pleasantly warm to pleasantly cool and sunny. In 17 weeks there we have had not more than 3 or 4 days of rain. The spa therapists are excellent, and the fitness staff are exceptional -- all enthusiastic and fully engaged in their work. There are a wide variety of classes offered, with several to choose from in every time slot. Meals are served in a beautiful large dining hall at tables set for 2 to 8 people. The food is healthy, beautifully presented, and delicious -- mostly vegetarian, with a seafood option at several dinners each week. There are several guest presenters each week -- lectures, musical performers, etc -- and a movie every night. A series of nutrition lectures are extremely informative. Other guests are invariably nice and friendly, and we've formed a number of good and lasting friendships there. Although it is located just outside of a Mexican border town, do NOT worry about your personal safety there. You are taken there by charter bus from the San Diego airport (ca. one hour) and returned the same way. The property itself is a totally safe and secure enclave. The Ranch is considerably less expensive than some of the other top-rated spas, but every bit their equal or superior. Finally, and perhaps over-all most important, you will invariably feel MUCH better when you leave than you did when you arrived.

Room Tip: There are about 4 levels of accommodation at a range of prices. The villas are VERY spacious, in my...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I went to the Rancho on a recommendation from a friend. It was a week filled with wellness and positivity. I did not realize before the experience, how helpful such a week would be to me. Every morning we went on a hike in the most beautiful mountains. Every day we partook in activities aimed at improving fitness. I have brought many of the habits I had learned there home, and continue to work toward wellness on my own. I would definitely return to this place of wellness and inspiration. The time we spent there was truly special and unique.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Rancho La Puerta Spa? Share your experiences!