“Fantastic area!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Buenavista
minneapolis
“Fantastic area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

We went to Hotel Buena Vista in April 2006 to celebrate my 40th birthday. My husband, two children (ages 4 and 6), my brother-in-law, sister and her partner came. Whenever we go on vacation we look to be off the beaten path and to have something of an adventure. That is exactly what we got here. The hotel could not be in a more beautiful spot. The beach is gorgeous, sandy, clean AND you can swim in the sea. That is not possible in other areas of cabo.

The hotel grounds are lovely. The pool was fantastic. The swim-up bar was nice to have and eating lunch around the pool was great. The rooms are fine. They are nothing fancy, but we spend so little time in our rooms we don't care. They were clean and the beds were comfortable.

FYI: More than just hotel guests use the pool. Locals, meaning expats from the U.S., buy a membership and use it something like a "club." So do area villa owners. It was never really crowded at the pool, but this fact is nice to know. Everyone was very friendly.

The hotel is really set up for fishermen. We did not take a fishing trip, but did enjoy watching the boats come in and seeing what they caught. My husband is a fly-fisherman and arranged a trip for that but the weather did not cooperate and he could not do the trip.

Through the hotel we arranged a day trip to some springs in the mountains (El Chorro Hike and Swim Tour). It was a gorgeous drive and a fun hike to the pools. Swimming in the natural pools was very fun, especially for the kids.

The hotel staff was accomodating. Nobody was overly friendly, but everyone was nice enough and we always got what we wanted/needed.

The food at the restaurant is just OK. The men in our group thought the food was great. The women in the group felt it was lacking in fresh fruits and vegetables. We're pretty healthful eaters and were craving huge salads by the end of the trip. Breakfast and lunch were definitely better than the dinners. The staff will go off the menu for you and/or you can order lunch items during dinner. I often did that because I did really enjoy the fish tacos.

If you are looking to get away from it all and can entertain yourself with a beach, pool and nature, then this is the spot for you. We are going back again this April!

• Liked — remote location, gorgeous beach, great pool, swim-up bar
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Fernando Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2006

I have stayed at the Buena Vista Resort about 10 times since 1999. It is my fishing headquarters on the East Cape of Baja. I generally fish on the beach directly in front of the hotel early in the morning and at dusk looking for roosterfish on a flyrod. It's a tough game. I also have used the hotel's pangas many times in search of roosters, dorado and other inshore species. I have never been on any of their cruisers.

I have always found their pangas to be clean and in good working order. Once, when a motor wouldn't start, they got me another boat and captain in less than 10 minutes. They are extremely receptive to the wants of fishermen!

Rooms are quite serviceable and clean, nicely decorated in kind of a rural Mexican style. Showers and johns work. Yes, I have seen a bug or two, but what the hell . . . it's on a Mexican beach!

The hotel food is not gourmet, but I don't think they don't pretend that it is. I get my huevos (eggs) in the morning and fajitas or other Mexican specialty at night. Once they cooked a dorado (mahi-mahi) I brought in and it was grilled with garlic. Terrific!

My only complaint that it's sometimes a hassle checking out when a big group is trying to get out at the same time. But I guess that can be the situation at any hotel when a convention is leaving.

• Liked — Access to great fishing; comfortable and serviceable. Not fancy and overpriced.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2006

After staying in BCS previously, mainly in the Cabo Corridor, we decided to break our trip up a bit. We spent a delightful 4 of 6 days in the Todos Santos area, and as neither of us had been to the Cortez side we decided a couple of days there would be good. But where to stay? We found a couple of reviews of the Los Barrilles/Buena Vista area that seemed OK, and a review from a couple that got married at the Hotel Buena Vista. I looked up the website and it looked nice enough - 60 units strategically placed in a semi-circle around the bar, pool and restaurant, and close to the beach.

The first sign that things may not be as on the website started when we pulled up to the hotel there was no one at the desk. Wandering around for a few minutes had me find a surly clerk who gave me some papers to fill out, and then she promptly disappeared. Filled out papers, wandered around to find her again, and she gave me a 'special deal' of $150/night including meals for 2 people. A walk through the nicely landscaped gardens brought us to our room, a cabana-type thing painted seafoam blue on the inside, with 2 exceptionally hard twin beds, and a small combination bathroom with the shower spraying onto the toilet, which is probably why the dead bugs were all in a pile under the sink. We gave each other a queasy look and dropped off our bags to go to the restaurant. The meals - fajitas and tortilla soup, were almost up to the standard of a bad day at Taco Bell but smaller. My wife went to the office to ask for any brochures for things to do near the hotel. When she got there the 3 staff members at the lobby were too interested in watching a couple of dogs fornicate in the parking lot to assist, so she lost interest and came back to the room. This was when we decided to get in the car and drive around to find a new hotel, which we did in Las Barilles.

Came back to pick up suitcases and drop off keys and what joy - we were refunded the unused day of our stay. While this was being refunded I commented that 95 dollars for a substandard meal was a bit pricey and the surly clerk started on a very loud tantrum and wouldn't give me my credit card back. I was there asking her if she was going to steal it and her response was 'no senor', and when I followed up by saying 'give it to me then' she responded with a 'no senor'. I then asked her to call the police or give me back my card she responded by saying 'no senor', which went on for a number of minutes until she called 'Hortencia', an older surly lady who had a loud and fast conversation with the young surly lady. Finally the young one left and Hortencia explained to me that '95 dollars is very good value for our hotel' - 4 hours of suitcase storage and a substandard taco for 95 dollars - great value for the hotel, but not for potential clients. After a bunch more of the same thing - her holding my credit card as a threat to make me agree that this was a great value and me asking for the police she finally gave it back. This was probably the most surreal experience I've had at any hotel in the world (and I've stayed in thousands), but if anyone reading this review wants to stay there don't say you weren't informed in advance.

Now, outside of the crap rooms and the crap service, here is what you should expect from this hotel. The grounds look quite nice - the gardeners are working, so thats a plus. The people that we saw have been coming to the same place for many years, and it seems to be more of a social club for the same groups of old folks than it is a place where you would just go on a whim expecting great service and some fun. With the little bunker style cabanas I was left with the impression of a bunch of those old 2 person trailers arranged around a nice fountain in the desert - the people that go there are probably the nicest in the world, but they've been going there for the same amount of time and to the same place each year and it's a social event - it's certainly not the winning service nor the dearth of things to do at the hotel. The guys fish, and the ladies sit around and play cards. If you want to stay in the area check out the multitude of places in Los Barilles, about 5 miles North, with nice beaches, cheap and expensive hotels, nice snorkeling and an all-round nicer experience. Some of the bigger hotels have time-share people in attendence, but they are much less pressure than Cabo and pretty helpful with local information. At any rate, BCS has some really great places to see, stay and do. Hotel Buena Vista isn't it, unless you are over 60 and have been going there for 20 or so years already.

Stayed January 2006

Been to Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort? Share your experiences!