“We live next door, so to speak, and love this hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Km 105 Carretera al Sur, Buenavista 23580, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buenavista
Frisco, Colorado
“We live next door, so to speak, and love this hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

20 years ago, we started staying at Buena Vista Beach Resort. We met the staff and enjoyed our stay. The rooms are dated. Bungalow type, if you are looking for high end, Cabo type, forget it. This is a family run business. Chuy Valdez started this years ago and family continues. However, the Restaurant , new chef, and the wonderful pool and poolside bar are what the East Cape is all about. 14 years ago we bought a casita within a block of the hotel. For $120 we get to use the facilities and the funds go to charity. Last year we caught a beautiful large Cabrillo (see Bass) and the chef turned it into a fantastic meal. . Last week we met a group of 50 fishing guys who were happy as hell to be here. , Real Buena Vista.!!! You drive North, 45 minutes from the San Jose Del Cabo airport (Los Cabos) , instead of South to Cabo. We always rent a car from one of the locals. Los Barriles is the main town 5 KM north of Buena Vista. Chapitos is a full service market in Barriles. Great windsurfing in February and March. Fishing is the draw for most folks from May to December. But in the winter and spring, hiking and diving (except during winter for diving). Water temp was 85 when we were there in late June. It is a great swimming beach and no one is busting your chops to find a place on the sand. But, NOT, Cabo...don't expect Cabo, but that's why we have gone to this locale at least 30 times since 2000.

Room Tip: Nearer the pool is louder.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed 2 nights here after reading how "pet friendly" they were and we selected the meal plan (don't do it). They have a pet policy that states you must keep your pets on a leash in public areas and even mentions food areas but on the beach they can be off the leash. Perfect. So we thought. After a long drive we arrived around 1:00pm and were starving. We took our 2 well behaved dogs, on their leashes, to the outside patio restaurant only to be told by the waiter dogs were not allowed. Even though the owners dog was in the restaurant off of a leash and I have to say the most unfriendly golden retriever I've ever met! Growled at our dogs so we left and sat at the pool bar where the bartender didn't really know if they were allowed or not. Btw the grumpy golden retriever followed us there without a leash! We asked for a menu and he informed us the meal plan we signed up for was only available at the restaurant we had just been kicked out of. So, leaving the wife and dogs at the pool bar I went to the restaurant for a menu cause that would have been asking too much of this bartender. The waiter who kicked us out gave me a menu and didn't seem like he really wanted to help me but he gave me a menu anyways. I returned to let my wife look over the menu and we made our selections, fish tacos and grilled fish plate. When I returned to the restaurant the waiter THEN informed me they didn't have enough fish so they needed to save the fish for dinner. I couldn't believe he didn't tell me that when I got the menus or that they did have fish but we couldn't have any. I almost packed it up and went to another hotel but I returned to my wife again to make another selection. I chose the steak tacos with Serrano peppers and she chose a vegetable soup and chicken salad. After 3 trips back and forth from the pool bar to the restaurant (cause neither employee wanted to do any work) we got our food. I got plain beef, incredibly fatty, in 3 tacos. No serranos in site. My wife got her soup and it was ok. The chicken salad was not a salad. It was like a tuna salad with mayonnaise, not at all what the description said. She hates mayo so that went untouched. The next morning we tried the breakfast and it was discusting. Never had such a greasy meal. Needless to say we never tried to eat there again the entire weekend and spent our time in Los Barrillas. This place is so run down and outdated and the food is terrible. The rooms are clean but with no TV, light bulbs out and the hardest bed I've ever slept in it isn't worth the money and the "meal plan" certainly isn't worth it. The owners are hypocrites if they allow their grumpy dog to roam free on the property when paying guests can't bring well trained, well behaved dogs around on leashes like the "pet policy" states. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This fishing resort lived up to it's reputation. It is full service and very accomodating. The captain and mate on our boat for 4 days were excellent. The food was quite good and the staff was friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I have made several trips to this resort to fish with a friend.Sometimes the fishing has been better then others but we always enjoyed ourselves. The lodging could use some up-dating but it is comfortable and adequate. The food is excellent and the staff is friendly and eager to please.
If you are looking for great fishing accomodations and a place to relax and re-fuel, I would highly recommend this resort. The Valdez family are wonderful people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

As I am one to not write reviews of hotels or guide services, whether the experience was great or poor, some instances need to be noted. A friend and I both just recently stayed at the hotel and fished through the hotels guide service. First off, the hotel, the staff, the food and overall comfort of the hotel was exactly what we bargained for. We had a good dinner inside the bar, while chatting with other patrons and fellow guides of the lodge. When coming to a fishing destination such as Buena Vista and the East Cape in general thats exactly what fellow fisherman lives for in the evening time. We were able to book a late reservation for a guide the next morning. When we arrived to the dock on the morning, rods loaded and ready to rock. Us two experienced guides we were ready to go! Yet what we didn't bargain for was a lack luster effort from a guide that was more interested in listening to the radio between fishing boats and not a clue of what was going on inside his own boat. My friend and I have 10+ years of guiding experience between us (Montana, Alaska, Patagonia, Chile) and only a combined age of 51. We know what tough, frustrating fishing days can be like on the water. Yet there wasn't an ounce of passion coming out of our guide, we through teasers all day long while our guide sped along beaches only waiting til 3:00 rolled around where he could clock out and receive another tip, and days dollar. We both felt that the guiding experience was one of the worst, if not the worst days via guided we have ever had. Totally excluding the fishing itself, the lack luster effort, passion and drive to want your guests/clients to have a good, enjoyable day on the water was not even in the picture. Granted this was only one day, one guide and one review, I would be weary of spending the money and receiving the same kind of service we had.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

I have been coming to this resort for over 25 years. Back then the resort was run by the boys parents, it's always been run by the Valdez family and they all do great job. Nothing here is fancy, but it's all great. The location is also perfect for fishing. I love coming down and fishing herein the east cape, Baja Mexico. The family also owns its own fleet of sport fishing boats.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Victor, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Doyle & Dotty Patterson <2bard@cybernet1.net> wrote:

We stayed at the resort the first week of April, 2014 and had a great time. It has laid-back, very relaxing atmosphere, but has great service and amenities. The staff does everything to make your visit perfect. Set on a hillside right on the beach; the location is perfect. Mature landscaping of palm trees, grass, shrubbery including bougainvillea, and pathways wind their way all over the property. The dining room offers an excellent selection each day and everything tasted super. Each room has a patio area with table and chairs and ours also had a hammock strung between 2 palms. We fished for 2 days and caught and released 3 marlin and one needle fish. The captain and crew were fantastic and flew into action at each hook up. A great place for a family or anyone seeking a real taste of Baja.

2 Bitterroot Montana ranchers

Room Tip: Rooms in the fifties are closest to the water, pool, bar, diningroom, but all are beautiful settings
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buenavista
Estrella de Belem
Hotel Los Pescadores
Hotel Los Pescadores
#1 of 4 in Los Barriles
5.0 of 5 stars 89 reviews

Been to Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort? Share your experiences!