“Not bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Coco Cay (Little Stirrup Cay)

Coco Cay (Little Stirrup Cay)
Improve this listing
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
3 attraction reviews
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was the first stop on our cruise. Lots of stuff to do. We did not eat the lunch so I cant really comment on the food. It did appear to be a large variety of things available though. The island was very crowded. I recommend going a little further down to get away from this. It was much more relaxing. So many things for kids to do here. Plenty of hammocks to hang out in. The water was beautiful. I guess my only negative is it tends to be a little overcrowded but as I said it gets better a little further down the island.

garden state travellers
42 attraction reviews
“1st time on a private island!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Negatives: If you're not a beach person, this is not an excursion for you. My parents, aunt & uncle came onto the island to have lunch and then went right back to the ship. Because you have to take tenders to the island it may be a hassle for older folks like my parents. And although the ship provides lunch on the island - it's pretty much a bar-b-q buffet, so I felt bad for my parents who could have had an easier time staying on the boat and having a better lunch there.
There are cabanas to rent, but highly over priced. You can easily find beach chairs in the shade.
And don't count on doing shopping here - it's not like the straw markets on the other islands.
Many of their products are from china and india.
And hair braiding was also overpriced. $10 for 1 braid across the top of your head?
And be careful about bringing food back to your beach chair, flocks of birds will attack!

Positives:
Have your camera out while riding the tender, you'll capture great pics of the boat!
You can make your day to be a relaxing one and just lay back and enjoy the sun, the breeze, the water.
Or you can take the kids out to the water slide, snorkel, glass bottom boat
I was content with being on the beach and water and keeping it simple.

* just like any carribean island - buy some aloe to put on after a day at the beach!

Northville, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
“Best Island Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Coco Cay is rented by Royal Caribbean cruise lines. This is a stop on their Bahamas cruises. It is fabulous and beautiful! We had a great day. There is plenty of space on this island. Don't just stop at the first set of chairs you find. Keep going to the right, the beaches get more & more beautiful....and less & less crowded! We started the day by dropping the teens at the adventure club for the first few hours. They had a blast with that! First thing, there is a beach marked "snorkel beach", great snorkeling bad, rocky water entry. If you want to snorkel here, you ABSOLUTELY MUST have water shoes! But, it's worth it. For calmer beach &/or water time go tot he beaches to the right on the island. They are great for all other interests. We saw a small shark (didn't bother a soul) and several Southern rays moving around swimmers. It was cool, if you like that sort of thing! It's a very clean island and they take care of you. There will be employees walking around with frozen coco locos (pina coladas) and cold beer...you never have to go to the bar...just have your seapass handy to pay. The food was plentiful, but basic...burgers, dogs, grilled chicken. Warning: they do close up the food early, it's not available all afternoon. The water is beautiful and it's a really nice day on a beach.

Apex, North Carolina
56 attraction reviews
“Private Island fun.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Coco Cay is a private island in the Bahamas owned by Royal Caribbean International. If the cruise line isn’t using it for their passengers they will rent out to other cruise lines. I was on a chartered cruise with the MSC cruise line and it was on our itinerary.

You have to tender off the ships which are smaller ships that take you out to the island while the ships remained anchored. So anyone prone to sea sickness may want patches for this.

The island offers hammocks and chairs for relaxing and soaking up the sun…bars…shopping..and a beautiful area for swimming. We had a BBQ on the island which was amazing. And the germophobe in me was glad to see a hand sanitizer station. We were on a chartered heavy metal cruise so we were treated to a concert on the beach by the band Great White. There is a staging area sit up. The only problem was it isn’t sat up to have a couple of hundred fans and only those in the front rows were able to see the band. But it was still very cool to be in a beach inn the middle of the ocean listing to one of my favorite bands while members of other bands were floating around enjoying the island.

But I don’t know if this was due to being on a chartered cruise..but I never saw any excursions. I seen signs for snorkeling and several other things but it didn’t look like anything was open and I never saw anyone snorkeling or heard of anyone doing a guided tour of the island. Though we really didn’t have time since we attended the concert.

Visited February 2013
St. Thomas
25 attraction reviews
“Had a Great Stay at Coco Cay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived via the Majesty of the Seas on June 25, 2013 for about a 5 hour stay.
The beach area was clean, but the waterfront had a lot of sea weed that could have been cleaned prior to the ship's arrival.
The water clarity at the snorkeling area was cloudy...not like the Caribbean waters that we're used to. Wear water shoes as the beach just beyond the water's edge is rather rocky.
Two disappointments: They ran out of beach umbrellas at 11:00 AM and it was very sunny (and hot) that day.....and there is little natural shade. The BBQ ribs at lunch were terrible, but all the other food was OK.
The employees were very helpful.
Overall we had a good time at the beach.

Visited June 2013