“Delicious and affordable`” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Canadian
Lanigan
“Delicious and affordable`”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The atmosphere is very cozy and the food is more than enough for what you pay. Great place to go for lunch or to catch up with an old friend. Not really a 'fancy' restaurant but not fast food.

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Good, basic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and I visited John's after a couple of recommendations from local residents, and after some bad or sub-standard meals elsewhere. It was so good the first night that we came back the next.

The first pleasant surprise was a homemade Caesar dressing on my wife's salad. In a province where even most costly (I refuse to call them "fine dining") restaurants use dressing from a bottle, it blew me away.

Since the steak that I had two night before was terrible, I was eager to get that taste out of my mouth. Not only did the steak come medium rare as I requested, but it was reasonably seasoned without being over-salted (as is the norm in Saskatchewan). My wife's Alfredo was another homemade sauce - another surprise for "family" restaurants.

The next night we decided to order a pizza. In Regina, the local pizza sauce tends to be dull - Italian 5 spices out of a bag, poured into crushed tomatoes (cheapest brand available), some paste, and garlic powder. John's does it right - they use their own marinara sauce - wow. They also used side bacon that they pre-cook and crumble, just like I do when I make it at home. My biggest problem with their pizza is that there hasn't been one as good in Regina since the mid-1980s.

The service in the restaurant was attentive, without being as intrusive as the big franchise chains. This includes the second night when a large portion of their seating space was taken up by a large (30+) party.

• Visited June 2012