“Ok one stop shop for a business meeting” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montebello
Houston, Texas
“Ok one stop shop for a business meeting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I was here for a business meeting that spanned almost a week. It was during one of the coldest weeks they had seen in a while and being that I live in Houston, I sort of appreciated not having to leave much. The property appeared to have a lot to offer, but unfortunately I didn't have time to enjoy it. The staff was friendly and accommodating to our needs and requests to keep the bar open. The food left a little to be desired but was palatable. Just ok overall for what I was there for. It seemed like if you were looking for more to do outdoors though, it would be nice. The resident Golden Retriever was a treat to cuddle up to in the lobby during pre-dinner drinks as well.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Elora, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We visited this resort with just one night, and half a day stay, and it wasn't enough at all. Such a beautiful place, and lots to do. We experienced dog sledding, and curling at a log indoor curling rink. We would've loved to have gone skating or cross country skiing, but ran out of time. Workout facilities, and pool were awesome too. Food was delicious, rooms were nice and clean, and staff were wonderful. We were with a group from Ontario, and all staff were bilingual, and SO helpful. Loved the resident dog as well. Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you Crystal S for your lovely review! I am very glad that you enjoyed your short stay with us and your group! I will pass on your comments to our team, and also to Monte, our canine ambassador...

See you soon!

Laval, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Starting with the check-in, Marilyn doesn't smile and like to charge extra. But they all do! It didn't start well when they start with the fine print. Extra this $30, and that $20... Sorry, read the fine print, they said.
They smiled at me but with a smirk.
Dusty old hotel... More like a giant log cabin then a chateau!
Pool had to much chlorine. And don't bring the kids. It seems they welcome dogs more the children. This is a place where old rich men go with their young mistresses!
Dinner @ $75 plus tax & tip.
Breakfast @ $45 plus t & t

If you visit their gift shop get ready to get ripped off!!! Items include over the counter medication... Etc.
Everything costs ten times the prices as Walmart! Their not trying to help you but rip you off when you get there. The old
man that runs the shop probably pockets money. I asked him for and invoice and he put the cash in training mode. Beware Fairmont & Govt. I received an invoice with training mode written on it. What's going on. My friends used the store and were charged different prices than I got!
Rooms are small, lobby is huge!
If you like dog hair this is the place for you.
I tried complaining when I was there but the just smile at you. Your stuck and have to pay! No choice.
Beware this hotel is a rip off. Plenty of better locations, like anywhere else!!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you Mrbock for giving us your honest feedback. I am quite shock to read your comments and I am sorry that you felt as terrible. Since I do not know your identity as a guest here, I cannot know what you mean about the extra costs. However, I can tell you that all of our costs are clear and well listed, and apart from Internet that is not complimentary (however you can register as a Fairmont President's Club member before your arrival to receive it complimentary, plus many other personalized services); Upgrades (which are not complimentary) or parking (which in fact covers the fees to maintain our 3700 acres of land and all complimentary activities offered) - there are no other costs, apart of course for the taxes.

Your comments about Marilyn and our store will be addressed. The store being individually managed, I will immediately address your concerns to the owner of the store. Thank you for letting us know.

Again, thank you for your honesty.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Château Montebello! Kids, you know that Mme X does not go behind the door if she has issues with restaurants, hotels places in general. There seems to be a whole lotta hatin' going on about ye olde Château and after spending some time reading the reviews I have to agree with some and the others are based on myth.
Let the myth busting begin...
1. You do NOT get better service if you speak French. This is just.. well I won't say it in mixed company. Most of the employees are fluently bilingual if not multi lingual and some maybe not as fluent in English as you like but they are in all likelihood, a darn site better in English than you are in French. It is Québec, they speak French here so show some respect and cut them some slack. I have never come across a rude Fairmont employee ( I suspect the nasties are cleaned out early on in training)
2) The rooms are not sadly out of date. The place is eighty years old, does your eighty year old grandma wear leather jeggings? Stilettos? No? Then this eighty year won't be jazzed up either. If you want luxe and big bathrooms toddle up the road to Tremblant. This is a LOG cabin, the rooms are meant to reflect that lodge feeling which they do. Bang on. So you are at the cottage, and you can get room service...
3) The place is dirty, dusty etc. I bet it's a darn site cleaner than most cottages. I've never had a dirty room nor any reason to complain ( and you KNOW I would...) I did note the big beams up top need a wipe down but everything else was clean.
4) The wifi is not free. Well, gang I am a President's club member ( free) join before you go and yer wifi is free in your room too! Plus you get a lot of cool perks. As well I got 10% off spa services for this visit. Join the club and spare your family the grief of no in room WiFi...
5) The food is not great. The food in the dining room and in the small pub is very good. I am not referring to the buffet. The service was refined in the dining room and very sweet and thoughtful in the small pub resto. The mushroom ragout with it's perfectly seared crown of scallop was delicious, the three sirloins were perfectly medium rare and the desserts were fine. Only complaint is the wine which is really overpriced. We paid $55.00 for a bottle of Folonari Ripasso which retails at the LCBO for less than $20.00:( beer was 6.50 for a draft!@... The water is great!
What I have to agree with:
The Sunday brunch ain't what it used to be...crowded and way, way over priced for what you get. I don't like the lineups for food, don't like that some stations (croissant!) were empty for over twenty minutes etc. etc. Unless going to the Sunday Buffet is on your bucket list, avoid it. Order room service. It was half the price, you don't get the variety but we got to have breakfast brought to our room, enjoyed it in our Fairmont robes and got to chill with our iPads and enjoy the free wifi!! There were three of us,myself, M.X and teenage X. So the buffet was 162.00 with tax add 20.00 gratuity and you have a whopping 182.00... Our room service meal of hot chocolate, coffee, juice, croissants, and a truly lovely fruit platter came to 72.00 ( including tax, 15% gratuity and $3.00 delivery) still not cheap but more enjoyable.
Noise Factor... Have to agree that children thundering down the hall at 7:00 am is not a great wake up call when on holiday but neither is having our neighbour yelling at his wife, cursing that the sleigh ride tickets are sold out and their poor kid who was hysterical about something. But the icing on the cake is the neighbours ( previous visit) having very loud, raucous SEX at 8am!! Ya know those divider doors in some rooms are really old and really thin.....so little lady when I winked at you and the other half that morning I was letting you know you put on quite a show and allowed me a teaching moment while explaining to our then 11 year old that the lady was probably scared of something and was banging on the wall for help;) so be forewarned that EVERYTHING you say ( or do) will entertain your neighbours in ways you perhaps, did not plan on...
If you want quiet go to the top floor. The walls are still thin up there. This brings me to the complaint of the jacuzzi rooms in the 'dungeon' ( which would make for an interesting 'theme'...)
They are there for a reason. Jacuzzi's are freaking loud and I cannot imagine one of those on an upper floor along with the accompanying er, noise of the patrons.
It's always annoying to pay for parking when you are in the middle of nowhere, isn't it? But you are not in the middle of nowhere, you are in the middle of this grand property with all it's roads and lanes and groomed pathways. The parking fee goes to support the upkeep of said property...but, like you, I am shaking my head and saying " but they already charge so darned much for everything else" well, I will let Mme Fairmont answer that one.
Tips for a great stay:
Book through Fairmont or directly through the hotel. If you are there for a special occasion let them know and you will be surprised at what they will do in the way of little extras. If it's a romantic weekend you are after do not come on a long weekend, Christmas, March Break, New Years... Pick an off time, the hotel can also help you with that choice too. Ask for the fourth floor( the elevators are being replaced)
Forget the buffet unless it's your dream to eat there. Room service. One of the niceties of Montebello is the in room fridge. Un stocked, so no worries about the tads eating overpriced chocolate bars and downing the cute bottles of Grande Marnier but you can stock it with your own stuff from home like yogurt, cheese strings, juice, fruit, WINE. They are small so don't bring too much but it goes a long way towards keeping everyone happy and saving some precious $$.
Plan for activities. If you X country ski bring the skis, bring your skates, snowshoes, bring your swim suits. These activities are free if you have your own stuff. Because tubing, dog sled, sleigh rides cost. Big. So plan. Call ahead find out how much you can expect to pay.
You can't do much about the parking but forego the valet because the parking lot is close by.
Enjoy yourself. You're at the cottage!!

Room Tip: join the club, book directly through the hotel. Stay on the fourth floor if you want a little more q...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Madame X and family...

I can't deny I have read with passion and a smile your review about our Hotel! So, Madame Fairmont will say that you really know how to enjoy what life has to offer, and take everything with a grain of salt!

Your advice about calling us for tips and advice and any other detail is absolutely priceless! As you say, rooms on the 4th floor are quieter in general; becoming a President's club member is also a great advice as we can not only provide wireless Internet complimentary, but also personalize guest's preference for their stay.

Thank you for your review. Honest, clean, straight to the point...

P.S: I simply want to say that our Brunch is really absolutely fantastic, so I would have to disagree on this one but it is up to each to judge!

Wellington, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

This resort / hotel was a great place to spend time for our business retreat. I am sure it would be even better to spend time there in a relaxed setting as a vacationer. It is the largest log cabin, as Jeremy Clarkson would say, "in the world!". Build early in the 1900's by a group of railroad business as a luxury retreat.

The hotel is a wonderfully built resort, with comfortable, well appointed rooms. All updated to the finest levels. A central lounge, with an enormous fireplace allows all visitors to relax in a comfortable environment. Every so often, "monty" is there, a friendly lab who spends time in the lobby and entertains the guests by allowing them to pet him.

For business folks, they have excellent conference facilities for large and small groups. They do have AV facilitates, but I am not sure of the pricing as we brought our own equipment.

The resort also provides a large of amount of recreational facilities, in the winter, cross country skiing, dog sledding and curling (which was a whole lot of fun). It looks like they have great facilities in the summer too, being located not the Ottawa river with boating, fishing, hiking, biking etc. etc.

The restaurant was great, with good food and great staff. They offer buffet lunches and breakfasts, as well as ala-carte dinners. Two bars, some gaming facilities and WI-FI that provides tremendous coverage and connection speeds resort wide. The resort features an excellent fitness facility with a large pool and a attentive staff.

It is quite a ride from Montreal, about 90 minutes and probably a similar distance from Ottawa, but it is an easy ride.

All in all, an awesome place, with great facilities, great staff and lots of things to do in the off time.

A recommendation without any reservations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ChateauMontebello, General Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you tomcoombs for your lovely review! It is indeed a magical winter paradise when traveling on leisure... or business!

On a side note, with the opening of Highway 50, we are now just an hour from Ottawa!

Hope to see you soon!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Being generous and going with 4 star review because we enjoyed the chalet style and rustic charm of the old hotel. But you have to want to experience that. The lobby is welcoming; the fireplace impressive. Front desk staff friendly and accommodating. We had a large river view room and while it was not modern nor well appointed, it fit the scheme. Bathroom was small, but clean with nice toiletries. And a deep tub. We sat with drinks in front of a roaring fire and admired the woodwork and structure of the building. It is a relaxing spot and we chatted with many other hotel guests. Can't complain about tidiness ( as others have); we saw staff members dusting and cleaning all the time. ( Although some nearly-antique silver trophies in the bistro bar needed polishing) Outdoor sports are plentiful. Well maintained cross country ski trails and skating rink. Wish we had time for dog sledding. The surrounding property is gorgeous and beautiful in winter!! To point out the shortcomings: Free Wi Fi. It's needed. Having to join " The Presidents Club" to get Internet is outdated. Sauna on ladies side had exposed heating elements and pool needs an upgrade. Morning staff in dining room pushed for the buffet as if they couldn't be bothered to take an a la carte order. We were with a mobility impaired person, for whom a buffet would have been a huge challenge. That said, our evening meal in dining room was elegant and delectable.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms and river view rooms are the nicest. Think of country chalet charm when you book...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
CanadiantravellerTO, I truly appreciate your feedback! I have passed on your comments to our team and we will for sure discuss with our morning employees in the dining room to ensure that this feeling is definetly changed about pushing for the buffet.

I want to point out that our engineer have been sent to repair the Ladie's sauna so it is fixed. And you are right, we are constanly going around cleaning the hotel!

Thank you for your great comments. SIncerely,

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have stayed at the Chateau several times, only in the winter. I love it! Nothing beats curling up on a comfy couch or chair in front of one of the huge fireplaces in the lobby with a book or to chat. You can get tea, coffee or hot chocolate from the bar, along with the usual alcoholic drinks. Housecoats are provided in the rooms, and nobody pays attention to folks wandering through the lobby in those housecoats, headed for the pool or spa. Nobody worries about the usual casual clothing that everyone wears in the winter, either. Luxury resort with loads of activities, but not snobby. Winter activities include cross country skiing, snow shoeing, tube sliding, snowmobile riding, dog sled rides, skating, curling and I'm sure I've missed some. The rooms are rustic but very comfortable, and I love the Keurig in each room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear XineF, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us! I am sure delighted that you had a great time! If I read correctly you always come for winter stays, which are fantastic, but Summer offers a completely different, yet marvelous experience!

We look forward seeing you again!

Geneviève

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello? Share your experiences!