“Country but good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
“Country but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This restaurant tries to straddle the fence between full plates of cheap food for labourers prepared by a cook and the hoity-toity plate with very little on it but artfully arranged by a chef. Pleasant ambience.

Visited June 2012

73% Recommend
Toronto, Canada
“Nice casual road side stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The menu was traditional roadhouse fare. The food was good. Good value. Has a liquor licence. Seemed popular with the locals. Closed for season on September 2.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We saw this restaurant on the way to greenwich so we stopped for lunch and we loved the decor the food and the server. We recommend

Visited July 2012
Hamilton
“Roy some nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Off the beaten path, Rob Roy's Country Kitchen was our first stop en route to Blooming Point Beach for the day.  We left Charlottetown at around noon and found the turnoff to the beach within 45 minutes.  Too hungry to explore the beach just then, my husband and I drove a bit further on Rte 2 East.  Just ahead of the sign indicating we had reached Scotchfort, we saw a very modern looking building with a bright blue roof that really stood out from the surrounding country side. (The other reviews say that it is part of Mt. Stewart, but googling for Scotchfort is more accurate.) As we walked in, we were greeted with a sign in gaelic that meant "Welcome, a thousand welcome", and we certainly felt the warm welcome.

Inside the bright dining room, alll of the tables were large enough to comfortably seat four to six,  and there was ample space between tables.  The decor was modern and original--two large photos of John Denver (the singer) adorned one wall, and I found out later that the owner is a huge fan.  There was also an unusual painting of people harvesting gigantic blueberries--something that my husband thought were bowling balls intially.

The menu is very simple with sandwiches and burgers on one side and more substantial items on the other.  Being on PEI, I thought they would certainly serve  lobster rolls, but this was not on the menu. For seafood lovers, though, there was a very nice seafood chowder, and two scallop dishes.  Nothing on the lunch menu was too pricey, but probably more than you would pay at a small diner.  I had a club sandwich that came to $10.95, but it included a side dish of fries, potatoes or wild rice.  I chose the latter because it sounded intriguing as a side dish. I wish there had been a choice of salad or coleslaw, but I did not ask about this option.  The slices of chicken breast in the sandwich were thick and tender, and more than I could eat.  The chowder by the cup was $6.95.  Everything tasted home cooked and wholesome, and was served with a smile.  Coffee was topped up frequently. The washrooms were very clean and well laid out.  The Wheel-chair access stall in the ladies' washroom was the closest to the door---a brilliant move. Three stalls in total, stainless steel sinks and hands-free paper dispenser were all thoughtfully appointed.

Despite its brand new look, it had a very down-home feel that fits with the countryside. I recommend this, especially if you are taking in Blooming Point Beach. I do not know if the restaurant fills up during the week--only half of the restaurant was open when we were there--but for breakfast and on weekends, people may have to wait for a table.  Even without having seen the breakfast menu, I think the fare would be delicious and filling.

P.S.  It is worth reading the back of the menu to hear how the restaurant got its name.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montague, Canada
“RIBS TO DIE FOR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was there July 10, 2012 and had the ribs. they were mouth watering melt in your mouth. we also had the curly fries before our meal and this is worth getting as an app. The staff is quite accomodating and really go out of their way to make sure that your visit is enjoyable. the chief is quite eager to please and will take special requests. All food is home made. Desserts are really great. The Blueberry dessert is made with their own home grown crop. The twice baked potato is also very good.

Next time I go I will try another of their dishes. Everytime I go I get something different and have never been disappointed.

The owners are on site most of the time and are quick to meet clients as they come in. Very pleasant people.

Susan Kearney