“Stay up the road” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Charlottetown

You added Howard Johnson Charlottetown to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Charlottetown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Trans Canada Highway | RR NBR 4 Trans Canada Hwy, Cornwall, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C0A 1H0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cornwall
Minneapolis, MN
“Stay up the road”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

The hotel is advertised as Charlottetown, but it is actually in Cornwall, which is a few km away. We have never stayed at a HoJo before, and we probably won't choose to again. Our observations were quite similar to the previous posters. The room and hallways smelled musty, the carpeting in our room looked dirty, the bed was flimsy, and the pool was also being used for swimming lessons, which I found odd. The breakfast was a standard continental breakfast, and the hotel had free Internet, which was nice.

Overall, our stay was fine. We booked the room through priceline, but it did not live up to what I have previously received for a two-star hotel when I have bid in the past. I usually stick to Priceline's three star hotels and higher, but they did not offer any for Charlottetown. I will probably stay away from future two star bids in the future. For not much more money than we paid on Priceline, we could have stayed at the brand new super eight just up the road, and that is what I recommend.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
nova scotia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

Booked here for three nights but only stayed here for two. We were in town for a soccer tournament so the location was good. Room itself wasn't that bad, except for the following things: television was a 27 inch older model, which did not have a clear picture all of the time, no ironing board, and the mini fridge did not keep your beverages very cold. Bed was the worst I ever slept on, for what little sleep I was able to get. (which was one of my deciding reasons to leave). The (indoor) pool had little beetles floating around in it (dead and alive) and the hot tub water did not smell very clean. Also, they do swimming lessons here only 1-1 but I was still not told about and part of the pool was roped off for that so no swimming (full) laps. Plus the swim instructor screamed at my girls and frightened them. Also, the pool closes at 10pm.

The continental breakfast was okay but did not include a lot, not even any fresh fruit.

I ended up paying for half a day stay as I decided to leave after the noon checkout time, but it was worth it as my third night at a different hotel was well worth the extra money I spent.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

From beginning to end this hotel was a complete nightmare for my husband and I. The hotel is severly overpriced ($175 per night) and is extremely old. There is no elevator to get to the second floor and the ramp that does go up to the second floor only allows access to a portion of hotel rooms to the far side of the building. So, we had to walk up two flights of stairs with 75lb suitcases and other miscellaneous items. The rooms were old and musty with no central air conditioning system other than an outdated air conditioner that sat in the window sill. The breakfast was edible and the dinner meals were ok, but far from spectacular or yummy. When we voiced our concerns to the front desk staff they acknowledged them but did absolutely nothing about it. What a waste of our time and money. Needless to say, we ventured somewhere else for our second night stay.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2006

Could I give this hotel a lower rating than 1. Claimed to be a hotel but was really a motel in disguise. Claimed to be air conditioned, but one portable unit in a two bedroom suite is not air conditioning. It was suggested I sleep with the bedroom doors open, why would I do that when I specifically wanted a suite in order to close doors between myself and the children. Sleeping with my window open soon made me discover that my non smoking room had the smoking area located directly beneath it. Fuse in my room blew 3 times during a three night visit. Asked to see the manager at check out only to be told he was not available. Eventually desk clerk offered to take $50 off the bill, we accepted after being tired of waiting to see the manager but were not pleased, this was less than 10% of the bill. Hotel dated and in desperate need of a renovation. Not at all my opinion of a three star, which it claimed to be.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Dutch Inn this past July and just loved it. We travelled with our three children who basically lived in the pool the whole time we were there. It was very clean! Not just the public areas but the rooms were immaculate. The hotel is older but everything is kept in good shape. The breakfast was incuded with our room which was an added bonus for us as well. The restaurant food was also very good with friendly service. Overall we had an excellent stay and will definately be back.

Stayed July 2006
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2006

We are budget travelers who stayed in all the cheapest places we could find on PEI. The rest of the hotels were Motel 6 prices and quality, which was fine with us. We were there May 2005 and at that time the Howard Johnson was more expensive than any of the other hotels we stayed in, just because it was closer to Charlottetown and the airport. Considering the price, we found it shabbier than any other place. The sauna didn't work, the restaurants were closed, the minigolf course was overrun with grass, and we were kept awake both nights by loud clanking in the pipes in the bathroom. (Two different rooms, mind you.) This was almost a year ago, so maybe they've renovated by now.

In PEI, location is important. If you just want to be in Charlottetown maybe this is a good choice, but if you're an Anne fan and want to hang out in the National Park and Cavendish you would be better off picking a hotel or cottage in Cavendish--they're not much further away from the airport.

Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2004

We stayed at the Howard Johnson in early May and really enjoyed it. The hotel has a restaurant on site which is a preference of mine. Since we were travelling early in May due to the University graduation in PEI, there were little tourist attractions open so having a swimming pool, sauna and pool table on site was very enjoyable, especially since we had a teenager with us. The hotel is very clean and situated in the country for those who hate city driving. The off season rates were most reasonable and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone especially if you have youngsters on the holiday with you.

Been to Howard Johnson Charlottetown? Share your experiences!