“Convenient and Quick” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sand Box Pub and Eatery

Sand Box Pub and Eatery
Route 6, Cavendish, Prince Edward Island C0A 1N0, Canada (Formerly Captain's Cove Restaurant)
(902) 963-2700
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Grand Ledge, Michigan
“Convenient and Quick”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

If you are travelling without children, sit outside away from the indoor sandbox! It wasn't the greatest meal I've ever had, but it was adequate. The service was good and the food came quickly, which was nice.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Carleton Place, Canada
“High Prices - Mediocre Food (at best)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I ate there with my family for lunch several days ago and came in at what looked like close to opening time. I ordered pan fried scallops, my wife ordered a burger, and my kids had grilled cheese and chicken finger kids meals. For the price of the scallops ($15+) I was expecting more than just a few plain tasting scallops seasoned with pepper laid out on lettuce. My wife enjoyed her burger but again for $10+ it was not all that spectacular. One of my kids liked his grilled cheese but my other kid's chicken fingers were burnt and he said they were upsetting his stomach. The fries were ok but really the only redeeming factor in the meal. Aside from that, the place had a lot of flies which was a little unsettling.

They had a curious feature for the kids there which was an indoor sandbox. Nice idea but I sure wasn't keen on the kids getting all covered in sand before their meal.

Overall it didn't live up to what we read in the guidebooks and I would recommend skipping it. You'll be disappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Best Seafood chowder!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I made a trip from Toronto to Nova Scotia with a stop in PEI. So Sand box was our choice to have drinks and dinner. Seriously? It was the best seafood chowder I have ever had! Many chefs overload their chowders with potato and butter. This chowder was just perfect!!!
And theservice was good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Friendly staff and fresh good!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Friendly staff and fresh good! They are open till 11:00pm, which is late for Cavendish PEI.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cavendish, Canada
“Honestly, worst meal in years.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

I should have clued in at the odd scent at assaulted us when we walked in. But the family friendly set up sucked us in. I ordered the seafood bake and my wife ordered pasta w/seafood. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered it, but it certainly was not what I was expecting. Imagine seafood chowder without veggies, broth, and devoid of flavor, even the cheese was tasteless. With the exception of the mussels which tasted off. I choked down a piece of each seafood type that I could identify. Definitely frozen, and with the many different types of meat, pieces were over cooked, and undercooked. The only saving grace was the fries. I ordered the apple crumble and left my main course relatively untouched. The apple crumble looked like a cow patty with a scoop of ice cream on top and whip cream on the side. This was edible, but I am curious as to how you make a crumble totally soggy? My wife's meal was better. It had some flavor, but it must take some talent to make a rose taste like cheese wiz. Pasta was overcooked. Overpriced for what you get here. I should have taken pictures (I didn't know you could post them).

Visited July 2011