“Far from home away from home... Elementary school would be more appropriate” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams to Sea Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cavendish
Dreams to Sea Cottages
You added Dreams to Sea Cottages to your Saves list
8285 Cavendish Rd | Hunter River, Cavendish, Prince Edward Island C0A 1N0, Canada   |
QC
“Far from home away from home... Elementary school would be more appropriate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Pleasant cottage... Lots of room for one couple... and quite comfortable. The view was really pretty. Even enjoyed the provided park pass.
I have to agree with the review about all of the extra costs and notes everywhere... How can one possibly refer to this as a home away from home?
Upon arrival, I noticed all utensils & dinnerware had the quantity that should be there noted on little stickers... I felt the need to take inventory!! I noticed a few things missing & noted it down. Good thing!! Later a note was added (along with the numerous others) that if something came up missing, that we would be charged to replace the entire set - not just the missing items!! We even had the same problem as another reviewer with a kitchen drawer's front panel coming off... The management's comment to this other reviewer was that staples could NOT be used to attach a wooden panel on. However, if she knew anything at all about cabinet-making, then she would know that this is, indeed, how her panels are attached... They are wood staples that have been attached with an air stapler... When we mentioned, not long after our arrival, about these problems, her husband asked if we were already destroying the place... When we mentioned the problems to her, she seemed VERY annoyed!! So much for hospitable hosts...
The only reason we mentioned anything was becasue of all the "extra costs/fees" that we figured would be added to our bill if we didn't show early on that we weren't reponsible.
Now, the cottage: The coffee filter had mold woven into the wire mesh... Ick!! So much for cleanliness!! Even the bathroom mirror looked liked someone had brushed their teeth & spit on it. I made sure these items were spotless before I left - Way too gross to leave for anyone else!!
If we needed fresh linens at any point in time, an extra charge of $6.00 (per day) would be added to our bill.
The grill needed to be cleaned after every use.
There were fees of $3.00/day (or $15.00/week) to borrow their movies... If the TV reception had been better, this wouldn't have been necessary. (Still trying to figure out what the satellite dishes on the cottages are for!!)
More fees of $3.00/day for local calls/internet.
Additional fees for late check-out (10:00 am).
Even more additional fees if clean-up took longer than an hour for her!!
We had to have the cottage spotless when we left... Linens out on the porch & garbage empty... Dishes done... And floor swept.
I realize all of these things are done at home... But then weren't we supposed to be on vacation?? Maybe this is what is meant by home-away-from-home!!
My next trip to PEI, because of this experience, will definitely be spent at a hotel with a pool, with fresh linens daily, with services/amenities and no "extra fees".

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Stefanie Roden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Dreams to Sea and we had an amazing time. Service was excellent, everything was perfect. Dreams to Sea was a great choice. We are hoping to go back in the summer, wouldn't want to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed May 2009
peilover
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

I stayed at dreams to sea cottages in the fall of 2008 for a terrific relaxing weekend.
I was greeted by the most friendly host I have encountered in a long while. Not only did
we have an emaculatley clean cottage to stay in, we were made feel like we were old friends. Leone ( the cottage owner) deserves a lot of credit, not only is the property and cottages a beautiful place to stay, but the pleasant service is very refreshing. TWO THUMBS UP FOR DREAMS TO SEA COTTAGES. I look forward to staying with you again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
changes to often
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

We had a great time at Dreams to Sea cottages last year and can't wait to go again this summer! :)
The cottages were done beautifully with a nice open kitchen/living room area and 2 nice sized bedrooms. The front decks had a beautiful view of the ocean which we enjoyed many nights while BBQing. There was also a nice litle park for the kids to go play in and space for them to run around in away from the road.
It's just outside of the main Cavendish area so it's nice and quiet while still only being a few minute drive up the road. The cottage also came with a beach pass so we were able to drive down to the main beach without an extra cost.
We didn't have any of the troubles that a few others complained about. Leone & her staff were great to us and we look forward to seeing them again this summer.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

Just wanted to add another positive review for these cottages ... we recently stayed with our family for 1 week in July. We booked a bit late, but were glad to discover they were still available.

The location is just outside Cavendish, but I definitely preferred this since it offered a beautiful location with great ocean views. Also, the location only have about 8 cottages on a pretty large property and the area around is farmer fields, so you feel more like you are on the Island versus some of the cottage courts directly in Cavendish. The sunsets are beautiful and the night sky (when clear) is amazingly clear.

Leone provided us with a National Park Pass for your stay which is fantastic ... we went to the beach everyday. We did not try to walk to the beach, but no need since you are a 5 minute drive from the main entrance for Cavendish East. We also enjoyed travelling to a few of the different beaches in the National Park ... turns out we liked Cavendish East the best but they are all great.

In terms of Cavendish, we did not partake in any of the tourist traps, so no comments there. We were there mainly to relax and enjoy the beach. For eating, we mainly relied on a bakery and fresh seafood from North Rustico, which is again only a 7-10 minute drive away.

In terms of the cottages and the service, nothing but positive feedback. The cottages are relatively new, lots of space, well kept, clean and well stocked with everything you probably need. The girls also enjoyed the ample supply of games available from the office as well as the trampoline and swing sets on Site.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and would recommend these cottages to anyone looking to stay in the Cavendish area. I know our family had a great vacation.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

The owner of Dreams to sea over charge $300 to my credit card without my consent. The doors of cabinet in the cottage are mounted by stamples instead of screws. One door was falled down when I first time opened it. This is a trap that owner fish victims. It just need to re-stample it in 2 minutes to charge one day rent fee $300.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dreams_To_Sea, owner/operator at Dreams to Sea Cottages, responded to this review, May 26, 2008
Dear folks,
It saddens me that someone would walk away unhappy from their Dreams to Sea home away from home. But honestly what saddens me even further is that someone would walk away having left their home away from home in the state we found it. Our newest cottage, just barely in its third season, was the home away from home for this particular family...The SuckPEI family, as I see they prefer to be referred to.
So where to begin in response...
as for our cupboard doors, built by a professional carpenter they are nor were they ever held on by anything other than proper counter sunk, brass cupboard door hinges and their proper screws These "??stamples??" referred to...I am assuming are meant to be staples and I should like to see a staple gun big enough to fasten a door to its cupboard!!
BUT were it only the cupboard door...We did lose a day's rental folks, yes we did but were it only to repair a cupboard door we may have simply been able to "stample" it back on during the regular turn-around time we allot for cleaning cottages here at Dreams To Sea (between 10 and 3p.m.)!! But the towel rack ripped drywall-grommits and all, from the bathroom wall left a gapping hole that need to be seam filled and painted before it could be re-installed. Anyone who knows something of seam filling will agree that this is a process in and of itself as it can take up to three coats to get a proper repair (we did it in two in the interest of time) and then only after it is fully dry it can be painted. Fans and a dehumidifier helped us speed the process along as fast we could which was over one night. According to Mr SuckPEI, when asked about the towel rack, he insisted they had hung just one towel on it when it came crashing down but this same towel rack is actually home to two fullsized bath towels, matching handtowels and two facecloths. I wonder still how just one towel could have caused its demise. And then there was the trim that hung off the bathroom door casing. Cracked in several places it was necessary to purchase it anew and repaint it as well.

And to bring a sad story to a sadder end...a neighboring business up the road in Rustico..a lady whom I had never met befoire approached me to ask about this particular family that had come from Dreams To Sea to her doors (which I thought....how interesting as Mr "SuckPEI" insisted he needed to check out as he had been called back to work early)...AND, oh yes, speaking of doors...yes I seem to recall that our neighbor had to replace a screen door as well as fix and/or replace several other items after the Suckpei Family vacated their cottage....well over $300 dollars in damages she recounted!! Her biggest regret, she said, was that she hadnt taken their credit card as security on the rental and the cottage...her common practise and ours as well.
At Dreams to Sea we would like to keep our rental rates as low as possible for years to come. Indeed we havent seen a rate increase in three years folks. But to cover the cost of repairs would mean our eventually having to ask other guests to swallow up damages and repair bills for other's carelessness. This isnt a policy we wish to extend. Our cottages are in excellent condition....the newest kids on the block in the Cavendish area and they, at the risk of sounding overbearing or pretentious, make me proud. I have a great love for this little Isle of Prince Edward...fell in love with it way back when I was just a kid running barefoot over the green grasses of our family home just outsideof Borden. Then I lived "away" on the other side of the world for about 5 or 6 years only to return to Dream To Sea, a dream bulit from the ground up in hopes that I could share my little corner and my deep passion for this great beautiful Island with anyone wishing to stop by for a visit...so please stop by folks...the teapot is always on and the welcome mat awaits you!!
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

In planning a family trip to Prince Edward Island I requested information from several cottages in the Cavendish area before deciding to stay at Dreams to Sea. We (me, my husband and our 6 year old son) found the cottages clean, well laid-out, and in a terrific location.

The floor plan is very open, with views from the kitchen into the living room and out the window to the ocean. While not really on a walkable path to the beach, the national park seashore is only a 5 minute drive away and a Park Pass is included with your rental - perfect!

We ended up eating in for breakfast all week and several evenings for dinner since the accomodations were so comfortable. Our cottage's gas BBQ grill proved to be a bit tempermental, but it was promptly replaced by the owners with no hassles.

I am not sure what issues the person who wrote the review from last summer was having, but our experience was totally different. I would whole-heartedly recommend this location.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dreams to Sea Cottages? Share your experiences!