“Good Location and Scenery” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shaw's Hotel and Cottages

Save Saved
You added Shaw's Hotel and Cottages to your Saves list
Shaw's Hotel and Cottages
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Apple Tree Road, Brackley Beach, Prince Edward Island C1E 0Z4, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Brackley Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good Location and Scenery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Shaw's one weeknight in June and found it a very quiet, peaceful, and relaxing place. My favourite thing was the trail to the ocean, and the beach itself. We went for walk along the beach by ourselves after supper, and we literally had about 5 kms of white sand to ourselves.
The food was excellent and the staff professional and friendly. We stayed in the inn, and I loved the atmosphere. It was low-key, definitely not gaudy and touristy, and was decorated with tasteful cottage-like turn-of-the-century furniture and decor.
Although built in the 19th century, our private bath was modern and the shower was nice and hot.
I recommend this place for couples, retirees, and families. Definitely go in the low season during the week if you want to enjoy a quiet, relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2006

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2005

Our family of four stayed here for 3 nights in early August. Many guests were obviously and admittedly annual visitors as they spoke with each other with familiarity. The rooms in the actual "home" (not cottages) are very clean, but small. If you want "five-star" rather than quaint and family oriented, this might not be the place for you. But, if you want to sit on the front porch and relax, or walk to a beautiful red sand beach nearby, this is a great place. All of the meals were excellent and the wait staff very friendly and made dining very fun. PEI is a place to enjoy the time you have to vacation and our family enjoyed Shaw's as a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2005
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2005

My husband and I have been going to Shaw's for 18 years (we spent our honeymoon there) and I can say that the finest meals I've ever eaten have been in this hotel. It is well-known in Canada to have one of the finest dining rooms - Shaw's is considered by chefs across this country to be a coveted job - if you work at Shaw's, you've reached the top. Robbie Shaw is an honourable, reasonable person (in spite of one particular scathing review), and I wouldn't hesistate to recommend this establishment to anybody. It is sparkling clean and the staff are professional and accommodating. I can't imagine why anyone would rate this establishment lower than 'excellent' in all areas. It is reasonably priced when you consider that gourment meals are included in the tariff, and it is particularly a good deal when you factor in the exchange on the American dollar. I would encourage any American tourists to visit this hotel. The surroundings are serene and restful, the food exquisite and there are few finer places to stay in Canada.

The Doyles
Patrick & Susan

• Stayed July 2005
Westfield, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2004

On June 21, 2004, my daughter and myself were staying at Shaw’s Hotel, Brackley Beach, PEI. We had a wonderful dinner, the accommodations were lovely, and all was well……., or so I believed. Then things went REALLY BAD.

My name is Roy A. Dudley, I’m 55 years old have recently retired from a 30-year law enforcement career. As a high school graduation gift to my daughter I took her on a motorcycle tour of the Maritime Provinces. For the tour I purchased a pristine, low mileage (17,400) BMW K1100 RS that I first registered on June 7, 2004. At the time of the incident described below, the machine had less than 20,000 miles on it and a value well in excess of $7,500.00 US.

I had, after asking and at the direction of a member of the Hotel staff, parked the motorcycle in a barn adjacent to the hotel, as it was raining. I was assured after asking, that the bike would not be molested and would be safe there. I parked in back of a hotel utility vehicle, which was butted up against the far wall, the only entrance/exit now being behind my motorcycle.

After dinner, I was approached by Mr. Robbie Shaw, the owner of the establishment, who stated that while walking through the barn he had bumped against the bike, knocking off the right mirror. He stated he was unable to reattach it. I assured him that there was little cause for concern, as the mirrors are made to break away, and then be reattached. Together we went to the barn to reattach the mirror.

It quickly became clear that what Mr. Shaw had said was not true and accurate, and that the bike had been moved and dropped, causing damage. This was readily apparent, as the vehicle that the bike had been blocking was now no longer in this bay of the barn. The only way that this could have occurred was the moving of the bike out of the barn, the moving of the utility vehicle out of the barn, and then the moving of the bike back into the barn. Closer inspection of the bike revealed significant right side damage to the fairings, bag, grip, etc.

I insisted that Mr. Shaw, as the owner, immediately determine who had done this to my machine. He went to do this as I continued to inspect the bike. He returned approximately 30 minutes later, and said that his 14-year-old son had been the one to move the bike and cause the damage.

I asked Mr. Shaw what logic the boy could have been using to believe it was permissible to for him to take another person’s property without their permission, and he offered no response. I articulated to Mr. Shaw my desire to speak to his boy, in his presence, so that the youth would have some idea of the consequences of his actions on my and my daughter’s safety, as I had to ride the machine 1,500 miles home. Mr. Shaw said that the boy needed to be in school the next day, and I replied that after school would be fine, as I would probably need daylight to ascertain more fully the extent of the damage. I worked on the bike for about another 2 hours trying unsuccessfully to repair the visible issues, and then asked the desk clerk to call Mr. Shaw, who appeared shortly thereafter.

I again expressed my desire to speak with his son, and also asked him if we should be calling the authorities to file a report. He replied that this would not be necessary as he intended to “make right” the damage to my bike, and that “up here, we don’t even bother to report these little fender benders”. He said he would contact his insurer, and a local motorcycle mechanic, and a BMW dealer in Moncton the next day to begin the process of damage and safety evaluation.

I took him at his word: he was a noted recipient of the Premier’s award for PEI tourism, and the owner of the oldest family operated resort in Eastern Canada (“Before there was a Canada, there was Shaw’s”). He assured me that he had integrity, and that his word was his bond.

I awoke early and returned to the barn to work on the bike, and was joined by Mr. Shaw. He said to me that he had been feeling terrible all night, and that he had a confession to make to me. He appeared on the verge of tears as he said “Roy, I screwed up, it was me who moved your bike and not my son. I have moved many motorcycles and thought this would be no different. It was too heavy and I couldn’t hold it. I panicked and that’s why I gave you the stories last night. I will make it right.”

He had no response to my questions as to what made him think he had the right to take my personal property without asking for, or receiving, my permission, other than to say again and again that he would “make it right.”

I was impressed with his seeming honesty, told him I forgave him and trusted him to make good on his promise. In retrospect, I feel that I have been deceived by a master. I’m angry with myself for believing him: at this point he had already lied twice to try and avoid his responsibility (“I bumped the mirror and it fell off”, and “my son did it”).

It took me about 5 hours of work to blacksmith the right mirror and mounting so that the mirror would stay attached to the bike (an obvious safety concern). Duct tape was very helpful here, which provoked some Red Green jokes (Canadian comedy series) on Mr. Shaw’s part. When I had the fairing parts removed to do the work, I observed considerable damage to interior fairing braces and other parts. I took the bike for an initial short run, and was cautiously satisfied that it was safe to operate.

Meanwhile, Mr. Shaw reported back in that the BMW dealer in Moncton had told him that parts in paint were not available, and would in all likelihood need to be ordered from Germany. He also said that a representative from his insurance would be available later in the day, around 5:00 or 5:30. We agreed that my daughter and I would tour the Lucy Maude Montgomery site in Cavendish as had been our plan, and return for this meeting. As the local motorcycle mechanic was not available, I told Mr. Shaw that I would continue to monitor the operating systems for safety, and make a decision as to whether this mechanic would be needed.

Upon return, I was introduced to a man who represented Mr. Shaw’s business insurer. Together we did a cursory inspection of the bike, with the rep taking photographs of some of the damaged areas. (There was additional damage which was not discerned at this point, and which became known later in the trip, on my way home. I immediately e-mailed Mr. Shaw about this on my return to Massachusetts.)

We three then adjourned to the Shaw’s Hotel parlor, and discussed the process through which Mr. Shaw would return my bike to its prior condition before he took it without my permission and damaged it. The insurance rep outlined a process where the agent assigned to the claim would contract for an appraisal in the U.S. that would involve a certified BMW dealership, to ensure that the bike was “made right”. (I note that this agent. never contacted any BMW certified personnel, in spite of my having provided him with this information. He instead sent an automobile appraiser, who I needed to supply with BMW motorcycle parts information, as his company had none. From the time of the initial damage and continuing I was very clear that what would ‘make this right’ was the use of new parts in factory paint. In fact, the BMW dealership insists on this, and NOT cobbling together a repair with bondo and paint.

My daughter and I left the following day, discovering some additional areas of damage and concern as we motored home, immediately notifying Mr. Shaw and his insurer by email.

At this time, August 2, 2004, it seems clear that Mr. Shaw has no intention of honoring his commitment to make right the damages to my machine. His insurer has made a ‘final offer’ (woefully inadequate to cover the damage cost) based on an appraisal by an automobile adjustor with no input from a certified BMW service writer, as was originally agreed. I have procured an appraisal, completed at my own expense, by a BMW Motorcycles certified Dealer. They estimate that to restore the bike to it’s pre-drop condition will cost out to $6,000.00 US.

I am incredulous and outraged that Mr. Shaw acted as if he had the right to take possession of my property without asking, and without permission. He presents this as ‘an accident’, which it is not. Mr. Shaw made an intentional and conscious choice to take possession of my property without asking and without my permission. He then caused significant damage to my property, and then made another series of intentional and conscious choices to lie about what he had done, not once, but twice, trying to foist the blame onto his teenage son.

I can only conjecture that perhaps he believes that his ‘status’ in the local tourism industry justifies such arrogance in behavior and cavalier treatment of other people’s personal property. What he communicates through his behavior is the belief that “I, Robbie Shaw can do whatever I wish to the property of others, without their permission. I can take it, I can damage it, and I can do so with impunity and without ever having to be responsible for the consequences of my actions.”

At this juncture, I continue to want what I have wanted all along: my BMW motorcycle returned to is pre-drop, pristine condition. Mr. Shaw essentially took my property, damaged it after he had taken possession of it without my permission, lied about this twice in an attempt to protect himself, promised to return it to its prior condition when caught, and has now lied about this.

Where I come from, when you take someone’s property without permission, it makes you a thief.

When you do not tell the truth, it makes you a liar.

When you avoid your financial responsibilities and make others pay, it makes you a cheat.

I guess things are just different for Robbie Shaw.

Motorcyclists take heed.

Roy A. Dudley
Monday, August 02, 2004

• Stayed June 2004

Been to Shaw's Hotel and Cottages? Share your experiences!