“relaxing atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Wallaceburg
Sarnia, Ontario
“relaxing atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed at the Oaks Inn Oct 2 and 3/09 for a family wedding. We found our accomodations very clean and comfortable and being able to park right in front of our patio doors made unpacking/packing so easy.

The banquet hall accomodated all comfortably, acoustics were very good and the food delicious and plentiful. The service in the restaurant was great, food fresh, appetizing and tasty as well as reasonably priced.

The staff were all wonderful throughout our stay and incredibly helpful as we searched for lost keys before leaving. Thanks to all of you for your help in finding them.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Excellant Service, Clean, Professional Staff, Good Rate on Rooms, First Class place to stay, comfortable beds, warm friendly staff, nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Bloomington, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

We stayed at the Oaks Inn for my brother's wedding reception. For all that we'd heard in advance the Oaks Inn was supposed to be a really great place to stay. Touting recent renovations we expected a substantial WOW factor, but were mostly disappointed.

Apparently the room we were in wasn't a part of recent renovations, as the furniture in the room looked as if it had been purchased at a local garage sale. The drawer in the little stand between the two beds had apparently been damaged at one time and instead of fixing it they simply removed it and used a piece of panel board to cover it over. The TV/Luggage stand had various scrape and scratch marks on it. When sitting in one of the chairs in the room there was food (popcorn and cereal) actually stuck in the crevice between the cushion and the chair itself. Kinda gross.

We did not encounter a helpful, pleasant staff member for the duration of our stay. When asked about change for the only vending machine I was informed that the machine only took Toonies (which makes no sense, because it dispensed change in quarters). I already knew that because it said it on the machine, but the lady at the desk was compelled to remind me. I got the change that I needed from the desk clerk and went back to the vending machine to insert my Toonie. I made my first selection and the item didn't come all the way out of the dispenser and hung there, so I went back to the desk to ask for assistance, thinking she may bring a key to open it up. Instead she said "beat on it and it'll fall, that's all I'm going to do". I did just that and the item fell. Then I inserted another coin for my second purchase and it went right through to the coin return slot. I tried several different coins and the same thing happened. Back to the desk I go to inform them and instead of getting the key or offering any information I was informed that "It's out of order then, you're out of luck" without so much as looking at the only vending machine on the premises. A machine that just 3 minutes ago vended correctly *suddenly* took the rest of the day off.

When filling out this review I am asked "Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?". My answer is "yes" only because there is a significant lack of lodging in Wallaceburg. Otherwise my reply would be "no", because there are nicer places with friendlier staff in the area. For being a place of local renown we were sadly disappointed that the staff couldn't live up to that expectation.

In my experience you'll go a lot farther with care and politeness when you work in a customer service oriented profession.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stay there regulary for twenty days at a time. The motel changed its rates during a stay that I already payed for in full using a debit cardincluding a fifty dollar security deposit. While reviewing my credit card summary two weeks after leaving the hotel i noticed that they had charged my card for there rate change. They had my credit card information from a previous stay. They did not notify me of any additional charges at checkout. They charged my account a week after i checked out of the motel. I contacted the motel and they would not refund the card, so i filed a complaint with mastercard. Beware of bogus charges if you use a credit card. I would not recommend using a credit card if you stay here. Dont drink the water

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Wallaceburg hotels

US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

Ok, I get it Oaks Inn is a bit plain and old as a hotel, but for DUCK HUNTERS it is a paradise. First, they help you get a Canadian Duck license (important for US hunters) which is worth everything right there. The bar is good, and food is good, and breakfasts are hardy enough to last you all day in the duck blind. They are also dog friendly (sorry I don't remember if you can actually bring dogs into some rooms). I wouldn't stay anywhere else when in Wallaceburg to hunt Walpole Island or Mitchell's Bay ducks....

• Stayed October 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Windsor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

Room was very old and plain, with old style of beds (I prefer the duvet style blanket with plastic covers under the sheets, etc). I should have known upon arriving when the front desk looked to be straight out of the 70s. We were only staying one night, otherwise we probably would have moved next door to the Days Inn, which looked much nicer. However, I must say the food was great.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

First time at the Oak's Inn, recommended by a friend. I understand it is under new management and they are currently renovating the rooms, my room was original however it was the cleanest room I have ever stayed in and I would stay here again. I am travelling all the time for business and loved the wireless internet service. Dining Room was inexpensive but very good food.

• Liked — Friendly service and clean, attractive rooms
  • Disliked — older telephones
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Oaks Inn Hotel, Banquet & Convention Center? Share your experiences!