“Great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wallaceburg
Calgary
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My brother and I stayed at The Oaks for five nights, in February of 2013. We must have been in one of the newly renovated rooms. It was clean, modern and quiet. The bedspreads, carpet and draperies were new. The bathroom, while older, was clean and comfortable. The room, hallways and lobby had absolutely no odors. The desk staff were helpful, polite and courteous. The pool was still open, but the restaurant and bar were permanently closed. The night man put on the lights in the bar and showed us all of the historical pictures. This facility will soon be made into a seniors' home. It will be a nice seniors' home, but it's a shame that it won't be a hotel any more. It's one of those grand old ladies that will be missed. Also, once it closes, all that will be left in Wallacebug will be the AWFUL hotel next door.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had booked our room several weeks in advance for an event we were attending in Wallaceburg and was given an upgrade from a king room to a king suite. I'd had a long day and was pretty sick when we arrived at the hotel around 4:30 pm only to find that the reservation system had been down for a week, just like the previous poster said. I know systems go down, but for a week with absolutely no back up. So, not only did we not get our suite, we ended up with a small queen, for the same price. Apparently all of their rooms are the same price. Our bathroom was very small and already set up for a seniors home, with the ceiling hooks and bathtub chair. We did feel bad for the bookkeeper who had to fill in on the desk for 12 hours and return for another 12 hours the next day, but we definately were not impressed. I was told if we had of got there earlier we could have had a better room. Why would you try to get there earlier if you had reservations. As I said I felt sorry for the staff that was left to deal with the public. Management was no where to be seen. I work with the public and management really should have been at the front end trying to make things right for their guests, even if it was only with an explanation. They really showed how little they cared about their guests and staff. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Wallaceburg hotels

Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We booked a block of 10 rooms on November 8/2011. The team all booked their rooms and received confirmation letters from the hotel stating date and duration of stay. Was leaving for Dresden Tournament and thought I would check with hotel that our reservations were all good. The General Manager told me they had lost all of our reservations, and there was nothing she could do. She claimed the computer went down and they lost everyone's reservation. Because of the tournament and other tournaments going on all the other hotels in Chatham were booked, except for one with 8 smoking rooms. Because of the negligence of this hotel we canceled out of the tournament. I would not recommend a hotel that can screw up something so simple as 10 reservations. Totally useless General Manager.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn in Chatham!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wallaceburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I am a Wallaceburg native and have stayed at, hosted many out of town guests and entertained in The Oaks Inn for about 35 years. I thought I should comment on some negative reviews. Yes, there is going to be a retirement component to The Oaks at some future point- no, it is not effecting the hotel and restaurant operations in the short term. My wife and I just finished hosting a family wedding there: we rented rooms, use the banquet facilities for the dinner, and ate in the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner on the two days before and after the wedding, and can only applaud the efforts of the long time staff there. Rooms are up to date and spotless, the event centre is beautiful and the staff excellent - the restaurant has a wide variety of items plus buffets and a Sunday brunch: we'll prepared and served by attentive staff. They will continue to get 100% of our business

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The first thing people need to know is that this will be turned into a home for the elderly in 2013. The next thing they need to know is that they already run it as though it is a home for the elderly. The facilities simply do not operate. We went down for breakfast at the restaurant in the morning, only to find that it isn’t open for breakfast! Not much call for breakfast I guess. Next, on a Friday evening, I decide to head down to the bar for a drink and catch up on email (wifi works in the lobby, but only some of the time in my room). Nope. The bar isn’t open. On a Friday night. Even the space where the ice and vending machines used to be in just an empty enclave with a stain where the ice machine used to be. So I go back up to the room and see a silverfish in the bathroom. Then, finally, at 3:55am, the picture above the bed falls and hits me in the head.

The Day’s Inn next door is kind of rank, so do yourself a favor and stay somewhere out of town (Chatham is where I’d stay next time). As for this place, it will be shut down soon and turned into a retirement home. Maybe if nobody shows up to stay a the “hotel” they will just hurry up and get on with it, sparing unsuspecting travellers the punishment of staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

You're in Wallaceburg, close to the St.Clair river, and numerous rivers running through town. Looking out for earwigs, fish flys, and numerous other pests. None to be found at the Oaks inn but rather a very clean moderate hotel with an excellent menu and a buffet to die for at a very inexpensive price. No doubt they are not making much profit from the restaurant but are using it as a excellent service for the quests. Definitely will stay here again. Thanks to the great staff and excellent service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We went to a wedding in Wallaceburg and stayed at the Oaks . I read many poor Oaks reviews but there was no where else to stay that looked better. As soon as I walked in the hotel I checked under the mattress for bed bugs." I found non thank goodness. The hotel needed freshening up but on the whole it was fine for two nights. We ate breakfast in the restaurant . The waitress was friendly and our meal and coffee were good.
If you like coffee in the morning there is no coffee maker in the room but it is possible to get coffee from the lobby and if you like to have a drink in the bar at night before you go to sleep the bar closes at 9;30.
We likely won't go to stay in a W'burg hotel again but I have no big complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oaks Inn Hotel, Banquet & Convention Center? Share your experiences!