“it was much better before” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Doctor's House Restaurant

The Doctor's House Restaurant
21 Nashville Road, Vaughan, Ontario, Canada (Formerly The Doctor's House)
905-893-1615
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #132 of 461 Restaurants in Vaughan
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Islington Avenue
Description: Located in picturesque Kleinburg, The Doctor's House Restaurant is nestled in the north end of town surrounded by manicured gardens and ravine leading to the Humber River. The spacious dining room also allows for intimate gathering with cozy elegant candle lit alcoves. The various textures surrounding the dining room is just a taste of the use of texture and flavors in our cuisine. Modern European pallet awaits you. The hallmark of The Doctor's House is attentive service, elegant surroundings and superb cuisine. The Doctor’s House invites you to dine where the past is remembered, the present is celebrated and the future is as close as your next visit.
Kleinburg, Canada
“it was much better before”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I visited the Doctor’s house after church for Easter brunch. I decided to treat my whole family because I heard this is the place to have brunch and the atmosphere is beautiful. Our reservations were for 3pm. The young man from Italy who greeted us at the door was very friendly and polite. The service was nice. However, what really upset me and my family is that for the amount of money that I paid, I expected that there wouldn’t be an issue with the restaurant running out of food. If I am paying over 50 dollars per person there shouldn’t be a shortage of lamb (especially on Easter!!). The quality of what is being served should match the cost! I felt cheated and I don’t know what I paid for. I felt like I had a vegetarian brunch that included a lot of beans and eggs. I expected more from the doctor’s house and especially since I paid more than what it was worth. I should have gone downtown or Mandarin, and paid half the price and enjoyed a better buffet. The brunch was worth less than half of what I paid for. I will not recommend this restaurant for brunch, unless you want to pay high end dollars for eggs and beans. I realized that the quality of this restaurant has gone down from what it used to be. Seems like the owners are more interested in quantity vs quality because from what I know, this restaurant was much better in the past when it was run by its previous owners. Yours sincerely, a disappointed customer.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Toronto
“Very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We visited this restaurant several years ago and decided to try again after finding an online deal. Despite some of the so so reviews here, we were pleasantly surprised. Food was very good, as was service.
Overall experience was a definite thumbs up. Area is charming which really adds to experience as it feels like I'm far out of town when in fact it's relatively close to the city.
I only rated value a '3' as i found regular menu-if I had not had a coupon- a little pricey. Would absolutely go back again with coupon, but without I think there are better higher end food restaurants for same price.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“A place to go to when you need things to just calm down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Doctor’s House is situated in the quaint village of Kleinburg, north west of Toronto. If you haven’t had a chance to visit, I would suggest going for the view and charm alone.

The house is aptly named as historically was occupied by doctors and didn’t become a restaurant until the 1970s. The dining room has lovely wooden beams and tables placed in nooks and crannies.

Given its traditional roots, we had better luck with the classic dishes (Ceaser salad, steak and lamb) while the “newer” dishes (calamari, Kobe burger and osso bucco) were a bit lack luster.

After ordering, a wonderful dish of warm bread was brought to the table. I love bread and this one tops the list. Topped with olives, roasted garlic cloves and sitting in an olive oil and spice mixture the bread was amazing. So much so that we got another order of it!

To start I had the jumbo shrimp cocktail ($15) which consisted of three large prawns with cocktail sauce and a mayo. I thought it was fine and liked the size of the shrimp. They could have provided a bit more cocktail sauce as I had run out of it after the second shrimp.

My husband had the Ceaser salad ($12) and noted it was good. Our friend, on the other hand, ordered the calamari fritti ($14) and was disappointed given they tasted and looked like the frozen ring type. If a restaurant is to offer calamari it really should be made fresh and battered in house.

My main of pan roasted rack of lamb ($48) was great. Two pieces of thick lamb chops were encrusted in a flavourful herb and spice mixture. The accompanying cabernet sauvignon reduction was a nice consistency and went well with the perfectly cooked chops. Buttery mashed potatoes and sautéed vegetables (zucchini and peppers) also came with the dish.

The Kobe beef burger ($28), my husband’s main, was dry and a bit bland. The burger did come with a side of caramelized onions, but needed some type of sauce to give the beef more taste and moisture. Accompanying the burger was freshly made fries that were average.

Their tiramisu (I believe is $9) was rich and thick. I liked that it was in cup rather than cake form to seal in the moisture. I like mine to have a bit more espresso soaked lady fingers so that it’s super moist but the Doctor’s House version wasn’t bad. The vanilla wafer chip on top was also good.

The flourless chocolate cake (also may be $9) was very rich and appears to be made from dark chocolate so wasn’t overly sweet. The slight bitterness went well with the sweet vanilla ice cream. They certainly gave a generous portion of this dessert, so it’s a good one for sharing.

It did take us a while to get seated on the night we went, about 5 minutes, as the hostess wasn’t at the podium when we arrived. But, when she did, she sat us quickly and was friendly and courteous.

As a warning, this isn’t the place to go to for a quick bite; you have to have time and be willing to wait. The Doctor’s House is an old school restaurant where courses are brought out slowly – they are not looking to turn over tables multiple times a night, you can really sit back and enjoy the company of your friends and family.

My full experience is above, if you’d like to see pictures of the dishes that accompanies the review above please visit Gastroworld.
You can find the link by clicking on my picture --> full profile --> under “about me”

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“5 star prices, 2 star quality and service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

The setting is very nice but the food is fair at best and over priced. The servers were tripping over each other and were not what you would expect for the prices they charge. Much better values in this city!! Very disappointing. First time in several years since I last ate there and definitely the last!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great night!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Last weekend I visited the Doctor's House for the first time. Our dinner and desserts were no bad as per the recommendation that I received. The atmosphere was beautiful, however above and beyond the service was impeccable. I met the Melina, who was very gentle and warm. As well, there was a very handsome gentleman who played the piano as we dined. He was very entertaining and took our requests for music. Everyone was friendly and made us feel at home. It was an enjoyable evening, and I normally am not one to write reviews, however, when I receive 5 star service, I do need to share it with others. Thank you!

• Visited March 2013