“Best stay in awhile” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Kitchener, Canada
“Best stay in awhile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I travel for work frequently and have stayed at some of the finer hotels in Toronto. However I found The Element to be the best so far. The building is very clean, and has great amenities you don't find downtown. The gym is clean and well equipped. The pool and whirlpool were nice. The breakfast was enough considering it was free. I went down for their reception one night but didn't eat. Looked decent though considering it was complimentary. My room was large. The couch and the kitchen were nice to have. The bed was really comfortable. The shower was great. A nice rain shower head. But the best part was the staff. Everyone was very friendly. They greeted you with a smile every time they saw you, and no matter how many times I bugged and changed my mind about staying another night because of the storm they still smiled and seemed genuinely nice. I would highly recommend the hotel. Especially for the price.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Element H, General Manager at Element Vaughan Southwest, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Hello Manda!

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our new hotel, the Element Vaughan Southwest. In addition, that you were able to enjoy some of our amenties at our hotel like our complimentary breakfast and our 24 hour gym. Our Hotel is LEED certified, built green from the ground up. This is evident in all of our Suites at the hotel from the filtered water to the products we use. We hope to see you again in the near future when you plans take you back to Vaughan.
John Caneco

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed at the Elements in January. The hotel is modern, clean, and Eco-friendly. Rooms are well equipped and have comfy beds and bright specious washrooms with large showers. Staff is very friendly and helpful and make you feel welcomed. Overall an awesome stay and would definitely visit again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Element H, General Manager at Element Vaughan Southwest, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Hello Netts,

thank you for providing us with your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel, the Element Vaughan Southwest. We truly appreciate reading when our guests enjoy themselves at our LEED certified hotel. Built Green from the ground up is something we are all very proud of. We hope to see you again back to our hotel in the very near future.
John Caneco
Glen Williams, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed at the Element in December. Our Daughter was married in Kleinburg so this hotel was an ideal location. The Element is new so everything is clean and fresh. The beds were so comfortable and the staff was really friendly and helpful; HOWEVER, it's an Eco-friendly building. Initially, I liked the idea of it being an Eco building but experiencing it, is a different story. I returned from the wedding at 1 am. As I was washing my makeup off, all the lights in the room went off. I thought we had another black out because Toronto was in the middle of one. I felt my way to the rooms door and pressed any button I could feel, lights came on. Went back in washroom, continued to wash, lights out again. I had to get my cell phone to use as a flashlight! Then at 6am all the lights in the room came on and woke us up!!!
Front desk told me that lights are on a sensor so if no movement then lights go out...sensor not in washroom!!! Don't know what happened at 6:00 am, just wanted to leave!
Probably won't go back. I would stay across the parking lot at holiday inn in a more traditional room that is $30.00/ night cheaper.

• Stayed December 2013
Element H, General Manager at Element Vaughan Southwest, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Hello Patlnks!

On behalf of the team here at the Element Vaughan Southwest, we thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at our hotel. We value all guest feedback, positive or negative. We use this information and share it with our team in an effort to improve and avoid reported situations from happening with future guests.
We appreciate hearing that you enjoyed our hotel from the cleanliness and service point of view and apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with our lighting. Our Silver LEED certified building is built green from the ground up. In regards to your lights going on and off, there is a switch in the guest room that can be activate to override this from happening. This information has been shared with our team to share with future guests. I hope this incident does not deter you from staying with Energy Efficient, Green Hotels in the future. Once again, on behalf of the team, we thank you for your patronage and feedback.
In hospitality,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at the Element for a few months when we experienced some flooding in the Toronto storm. This beautiful new hotel felt like home; spacious rooms, family atmosphere, heavenly beds, bed-bug free, salt water pool/hot tub, great fitness centre with free weights, and an amazing front desk staff. The staff from all levels from the Regional Manager to the GM to the Front Desk Staff to the Housekeeping to the Catering crew to the Maintenance crew always went above and beyond and made us choose this hotel after living in 6 different hotels in a span of a few weeks. In particular, being allergic to polyster and having eczema, I was provided with 100 cotton sheets and a humidifier. It is a bonus that the hotel already provides a green environment and with not much carpeting.

ALSO...
-24 hour gym
-24 hour snack shop
-24 hour coffee
-food and entertainment at walking distance
-great Wednesday bbq dinners in the beautiful courtyard duing the summer
-security

Next Time...
-breakfast was usually ok (6/10) but there was never a serving of chicken or beef i.e. protein, and in comparison to the Residence Inn Airport this breakfast was weak
-dinner was by far the biggest let down of this hotel, and I would recommend eating elsewhere, or getting your own groceries and cooking in the room. I would grade the dinner on average 2-3/10 and only to eat downstairs incase of emergencies as I did
-The dinner was such a let down that often you see a full hotel occupancy but a few or 0 people downstairs for dinner, that indicates something when it is day after day, month after month. The dinners were more 'snacks' or very low grade, low quality items, frozen foods, etc. the meat also being very low grade thus it is advisable you prepare in advance for alternative options. I cannot recall 1 great dinner except the bbq nights on Wednesday
-Additionally, the dinner/breakfast menu did not contain all the items indicated in the company standard full menu which was a huge letdown and I would recommend the hotel catering staff to make changes or the guests to come with alternative arrangements. Again there is a reason the dinner area is ALWAYS empty and the residence inn dinner area is always full.

Overall
This beauitful building with its AMAZING STAFF plus all the pros mentioned above make it by far the best long term hotel to stay at in the GTA area after staying at many over the years. It gives you the best service and has a modern cutting edge feel. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to stay in the GTA area and will be back upon my visits to this area.

Thanks for a great experience!

FF

Hello FF!

thank you for providing us with such a long and detailed summary of your experience and we thank you for still being a guest at our hotel. You have now come to become family amongst our group here at the Element Vaughan Southwest. We are glad to read that you are enjoying your custom sheets and that you liked our summer BBQ's as well. Our healthy start breakfast options are customized by our brand with our guest needs in mind. I am passing on your feedback to our Food and Beverage team here at the hotel to enhance our evening reception. Many of our guests opt to take the items to their respective guest rooms instead of dinner in our lounge. Your food selections are noted and will be considered moving forward.
As always, your loyalty to our hotel is greatly appreciated and we thank you for the tag of 'best in the city'. It means a lot to us coming from you as you have stayed at many locations in the city of Vaughan.
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

As the manager of a hockey team, I booked 18 rooms for a tournament we were attending between Christmas and New Years for four nights. With all-suites format with full kitchens, it seemed like a great choice. The 14 year old boys loved the large lobby where they had "Wii" sports competitions all weekend. Pool is a bit small, but gym is very good for a hotel. Great location, walking distance to several restaurants including McDonalds, Subway, a pub and Made in Japan Teriyaki. The service was friendly and personal, every time we returned from a game the front desk asked how we did, and shared our excitement as we qualified for semis. The only two drawbacks: the housekeeping to start. I understand it is an Eco-friendly hotel, but with a kitchen sink and dishwasher, I would have appreciated having the single use dishwasher detergent and dish soap replenished daily. With 3 of us in the room, dishes were dirtied quickly. Speaking to housekeeping attendant in the hall, I was able to get both, but my room was cleaned three times and supplies not replaced. Secondly, I was disappointed with Kitchens. "Full kitchen" means a stovetop, no oven as expected, and as I have had before in all-suite hotels, including Residence Inn by Marriott down the road. No measuring cups, few utensils and only 2 full size plates. It wasn't bad, just less than I was expecting. Beds are quite firm, and a variety of pillows to choose from. A great hotel, and we'll return if our travels bring us back to the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Element H, General Manager at Element Vaughan Southwest, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, the Element Vaughan Southwest. The first in Canada and built green from ground up. We are appreciative of the feedback and have shared your comments in regards to the dish soap with our Housekeeping Department. We will take your suggestions and implement them moving forward at our hotel. It was a pleasure to be selected to host your team and and hope that if you plans or tournament takes you back to Vaughan, you will select our location. That is the best form of praise a hotel can get.
wishing you and your team great success in 2014!

in hospitality,
John Caneco- General Manager
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I checked in last Thursday 19th Dec @ 6pm for a one night stay with my 8 year old son while we were down for a Hockey Tryout at Westwood Arenas just down the street.
I was very excited about this particular hotel after looking through the website and reading some very nice reviews and getting a great CAA price.
The hotels location is very easy to find off the highway and lots of parking and very modern clean crisp appeal from the road.
As you walk in to the brand spanking new hotel you instantly get a good feeling, It even had that New smell to it.
My son and I were greeted by a friendly very outgoing and knowledgeable Front desk team member who instantly made us feel right at home and treated my son like a little adult which made his day. He explained in detail everything we needed to know and we proceeded up to our room on the 4th floor #411.
Noticed all rooms have cool doorbells and exterior visual displays to aware cleaning staff that your room needs a clean or a privacy option. Very cool and sure beats having to hand a piece of cardboard on the door for somebody to rip off during a drunken return to there room as a prank.
The room was spacious elegant and very modern with beautiful luxurious finishes. Huge bright bathroom. Nice desk area with swivel TV to be enjoyed at all angels. Nice L shaped modern coach and I have to say one of the most comfortable King size beds I have ever slept in. Also very nice assortment of pillows.
We later enjoyed the very nice salt water pool which was very clean. They have strategically placed clean towels and laundry hampers all over the pool area which was a great bonus.
I also used the hot tub which was also very nice and at a perfect temp.
Popped into the gym and was very impressed with all the equipment they had to offer and a great free weight section. Also a large TV in there which was nice to watch the Leaf game while working out.
Breakfast the morning was great. Lots of selection for all types of breakfasts. Again have to mention how amazing the staff at breakfast were. Offering to make fresh stuff if needed.
Checkout was fast and simple and no hidden costs.
As you can probably imagine I was just blown away with everything about this awesome hotel.
If you want a great experience I would recommend this place. And if the owners read this review please commend yourself and your staff for creating a brilliant product.
Cheers Alistair Harlond

Room Tip: I'm thinking all the rooms are gonna be awesome
Hello Alistair

thank you for the great review on our hotel, the Element Vaughan Southwest. The first Westin inspired LEED certified hotel in Canada by Starwood.
We truly appreciate when our guests share the great experiences at our hotel with others. We are greatly appreciative of this feedback and hope we can continue to be the best hotel in the Vaughan Market.
warm regards!
John Caneco- General Manager
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I just loved everything about this brand new hotel. This is a beautiful modern luxurious hotel. The service is second to none and they even allowed our furry little friend. I was thrilled about the all day cappuccino, really nice touch. The room has the westin heavenly bed, so it is just like sleeping on a cloud. The kitchen was just lovely in the room, and ideal for longer stays.
My family liked hanging out in the lobby area. We liked relaxing drinking coffee, watching TV and met some very nice people. The pool is small, but well built , modern and relaxing. I found the pool temperature to be a little too cold, but the hot tub made up for it. In the summer when the patio is open with the tables and lounge chairs , it will be wonderful. I was really impressed with all of the thought that went into building this hotel. Breakfast buffet is a really nice touch too, but get there early before they run out of waffles. (We all slept in because of the comfy beds)

Room Tip: The rooms are all suites. You can't go wrong with their standard room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Element H, General Manager at Element Vaughan Southwest, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Hello Bren!
thank you for the great feedback on your recent stay at our hotel, the Element by Westin, Vaughan Southwest. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our amenities and enjoy your stay in one of our ALL suites hotel.
We hope to welcome you back to our LEED certified hotel again in the near future.
In hospitality,
John Caneco-General Manager

Been to Element Vaughan Southwest? Share your experiences!