“Amazing food, wish we'd stayed.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DH Food and Lodging

and 1 more site!
You added DH Food and Lodging to your Saves list
DH Food and Lodging
1430 King Street North, St. Jacobs, Ontario N0B 2N0, Canada (Formerly Benjamin's Restaurant & Inn)   |
Ranked #2 of 6 St. Jacobs B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing food, wish we'd stayed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I recently went to St. Jacobs for a weekend getaway. We found ourselves in the Village of St Jacobs on a Saturday night (we stayed near the market) and were torn between two restaurants. I'm so glad we went to Benjamin's Inn. We didn't have a reservation but were accommodated without an issue and enjoyed it from the moment we sat down. The fresh bread was delicious (and had cheese in it - an added bonus), the appetizer was great and the entrees were incredible. My husband finished his lamb then finished my filet mignon. We were both impressed with the wine list and the martinis were awesome.

The only thing that could have been better is to have the restrooms on the main floor but as it is a historical building, such is life.

The staff were great and we would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We didn't have a reservation but we were accommodated after a 5 minute wait. They were busy at around 1:30 p.m., but unfortunately understaffed. So you can imagine, it had taken them about an hour from when we were seated until we actually were ready to pay! Anyways, my Portobello Mushroom Burger was awesome with spring mix salad on the side. Hubby, ordered an onion soup ( a must try) and a Reuben Sandwich. Reuben sandwich was $12, French onion soup was $7 and Portobello Burger was $11 = $33.90 including taxes. Plus tip of course. We didn't stay at the Inn, so no comment about that. I hope that we'll get a better and friendly service next time, we're in the village again. Just a simple smile and a bit of personal interest to your guests (like ask how the food was, and so on) won't hurt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wien
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Understandably with just a few rooms they do not provide a full buffet breakfast but offering a little more would not ruin them. And this is really the only criticism - we had lunch and dinner at their restaurant, and it was simply great. Cosy and well kept place, perfect service supervised by the owner, great food and impressive wine list. Not cheap but certainly worth the money!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Elora, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The restaurant portion has old fashioned ambiance although the lobster lunch sandwich left a lot to be desired. Pricey and not worth it. The inn, well it does not present at all like an inn. Especially when you go upstairs and see the very tired looking decor and teeny rooms. More like an old motor inn, not the least bit classy. Best description would be tacky and trying, but not trying very hard.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I are big foodies and have dine at many excellent up-scale restaurants in Toronto (home town) as well as places like New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, etc...

My wife did a day trip, which included seeing a play in Stratford, did a drive-by of University of Waterloo Campus (to show my wife) and then experiment having dinner at the Benjamin Inn. I went to the University of Waterloo and knew about the Benajmin Inn in St. Jacobs, but never ate there.

To our shocking surprise it was so good. It wasn't until the drive home did we say to each other: "Was that the best dinner we've ever had in Ontario?" What makes the whole experience so great is that the atmosphere is still casual (though a refined casual) and had a really nice "Inn feel". And the prices are so low for such high quality. For that great food quality and taste in Toronto we would be paying about 50% more. We were dumbfounded not that it was really good, but better than anything we've had in Toronto? In St. Jacobs?

We had their french onion soup - which was very good (though not that much better than say Keg's french onion soup, which was our favorite). I was blown-away with their duck two-ways. the duck-leg was so flavourful. My wife was blown away with the lamb. The lamb had a layer of crushed nuts done in a perfect way. My wife says the best lamb ever. She said some other places put crushed nuts in as well, but only this place does the entire flavour chain compliment each other the nuts feel integrated into the dish. I am just passing on hearsay as I don't like lamb.

And the service is great, such a comfortable and friendly atmosphere. Just feels so nice being in that dining room.

We came back two months later with our two boys. I had to have that duck again! My wife also wanted the duck. We ended-up ordering an extra plate of lamb for the table to share (except me, of course). One of my boys said it was the best lamb. My other boy said it was the best too, except he thinks everything is the best (easy to please).

As for the Inn itself I have no opinion as never stayed. I guess I don't appreciate the Inn experience as far as staying overnight is concerned, but I love food. And I think I know food. Forget the "Inn", just come for dinner!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

My friend and I recently visited this historic Inn in the centre of St.Jacobs Village. The location was excellent ( being on the main street) with easy access to the fine and unique shoppes. This Inn has nine rooms above a charming restaurant which is catering to fine dining for the patrons of the Inn and to the general public.
The cost of one evening was CAD$160. Included in this was a self serve continental breakfast on the upper floor. The room itself was a disappointment- although it was spacious with two queen size beds the quality was not up to par we felt for the cost. Dirty socks were found under the bed, the lamp bulb was burnt out on the dresser , there was a crack in the washroom basin, and to get ice one had to go down the stairs through the restaurant to the bar to fill your bucket. Apparently it has been renovated but room decor was sparse ( a small television- no access to movies, nor a back on the television converter). Overall, if you were sharing the cost as my friend and I did the one night was an enjoyable getaway but if one were travelling solo and covering the entire cost , I would suggest you look elsewhere, just come to enjoy a meal in their restaurant.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Martintown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

Located in downtown St. Jacobs it's convenient to the village shops. Room was good, but more modern than expected. Breakfast was only average (strange considering the restaurant is wonderful).

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to DH Food and Lodging? Share your experiences!