“a little pretentious but still good” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Caledon, Canada
“a little pretentious but still good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Everybody raved about this small restaurant in downtown Port Hope so I was excited to finally get in for a dinner. We were told that reservations were needed for a Wednesday night so were surprised to walk in to an empty restaurant.

I am told that the glass of wine my colleague had was among the best she has had in a very long time. On my side of the table I was offered a few samples of local beers before making my choice...ended up with a very nice clear draft which went down very smoothly.

I also had the jalapeno ceasar but didnt notice that this is what I was ordering when going therough the menu...was very surprised when my salad 'bit back' after a few mouthfulls. It was great.

I had the rib eye and it was cooked very nicely along with some carrots and mashed.

Service was very good, food arrived on time and was presented very well. Perhaps on a Friday or Saturday night you will need to make reservations....but not a weeknight from what I could see.

Overall a good spot. I didnt think I was going to be able to spend $100 on dinner in Port Hope - but I have been wrong before. I would recommend this spot but it didnt live up to the hype.

• Visited December 2013

Ajax, Canada
“Always A Hit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

My partner and I frequent the Black Bean Steakhouse as often as we're able. The food is always delicious and the service is always impecable. The Roasted Jalapeno Caesar has great flavour and is a must when we go, my partner usually orders a steak with one of the tasty, flavoured butter "pucks", while I tend to try something new every time we attend. From the "Jamby" Stuffed Sweet Chile to the Albuquerque Burger and daily features the food has always been most impressive. The atmosphere is always warm and welcoming whether you choose to sit in the dining room or at the bar with the talented bartender and I've never felt rushed after finishing a meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, Canada
“Excellent service and creative food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We had dinner, the menu was very interesting and covered all tastes. I have a diet with many restrictions and when I asked for a custom meal the waiter was very accommodating and did not make me feel like it was an inconvenience. The waiters service matched what you would expect in the price range.

We had two appetizers jerk poutine and trio of dips which were excellent and all 4 of us enjoyed and we ordered Beef tenderloin, Portebello mushroom, Voodoo pasta and I custom ordered shrimp and rice. All were prepared to perfection and presented well. My son loved the beef tenderloin, one of the best he has had. We all enjoyed our meals and felt the price matched the value.

ontario
“enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have been twice now, and really have fallin' in love with the place.
We are 'foodies' we cook great meals at home, and find it hard to find a restaurant that is worth spending the money.
Black Beans is that place.
The quality of the food, variety, taste, outstanding.
The staff treat you like long lost friends.
Atmosphere is lovely.
We are hooked.
Only one minor complaint....liquor is slightly over priced....a few bottles of wine less than $44 would be nice.
But, we will be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Grafton, Canada
“Renewed menu is wonderful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Not sure when the menu was updated, but it had been 6+ months since we last ate there. Coming in from the Via train from Toronto, we wanted a nice dinner at the end of a hectic week. We were delighted with the whole experience. We started with a glass of wine each, one Chardonnay, the other Sauvignon Blanc, well priced. I stared with 6 oysters, New Brunswick and PEI, very fresh and tasty. A red beet salad followed with a horseradish crème and bacon bits. Wonderful and refreshing. My husband chose the evening special: Supreme of chicken with wild mushroom sauce, yukon gold potatoes and a medley of roast vegetables: carrots, parsnips, brussell sprouts. The whole meal was absolutely delightful, particularly the demi-glace with wild mushroom. Looking forward to the next visit.