“Birthday Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Southampton, Canada
“Birthday Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Three friends and myself went for lunch to celebrate our recent birthdays. We all had salads that were fresh and delicious!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Southampton, Ontario
“Wouldn't do it again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The best part of this restaurant is the pleasant wait staff. It is truly unbelievable that the owner was talking to somebody stating he was there to serve the summer people in Port Elgin and not the people that live all year in Saugeen Shores. The female owner is very rude and not welcoming at all and talks to the staff as if they are nothings! I wouldn't recommend this restaurant

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kincardine, Canada
“A totally wonderful experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

My friend and I go out once a month for lunch and try to choose some place special. We've been doing this for about a year and this place was one of the nicest places we've been to. We sat in the up-stairs lounge - a bit more casual than the downstairs. It was very comfortable, and nicely decorated. They have an out-door patio which we only looked at since it was only 9 degrees C. this afternoon. It has 6 tables and lattice-work to make it cozy. We wanted to go back even before we ordered our lunch.

The lunch menu had soups, sandwiches, and salads. Everything looked good and we had a hard time choosing. We chose pork sandwiches and once we bit into them, we thought we might never be able to order anything else! It was delicious and all ingredients were super fresh.

Our waitress was a bright young woman who has just completed her 3rd year of University. She was pleasant and cheerful and even took the time to introduce us to the owner when we expressed an interest. A wonderful addition to Port Elgin's dining options. We'll definitely be going back - and we don't even live in Port Elgin!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
“It Was an Okay Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

My friend and I ate lunch at the Woodpecker in Port Elgin in April as I had heard that it was a must try restaurant. The first thing I noticed upon arrival is that it was small, clean and decorated quite nicely. They have cast iron and glass tables with chairs that could have been a little more comfortable. Since the place is small to begin with it seemed a little crowded as there were only two free tables and they are quite close together.
Their menu features a soup of the day, french onion soup as well as section called their "signature dishes" which includes quiche lorraine, baked egg soufflé, mussels, turkey chili, asparagus croque monsieur and a few other dishes. They also offer 3 "signature tossed salads" that looked interesting and delicious. Then it moves on their "signature sandwiches", pork, sirloin, lobster, panini and grilled cheese all with their own twist and ingredients.
I ordered the French Onion soup and my friend ordered the soup of the day which was Minestrone. The French Onion Soup was okay ... it came out very hot just the way I like it and had lots of cheese and bread in it ... a little too much bread ... and the broth was wonderfully delicious. My friends Minestrone Soup was very thick and hardly had any broth ... lots of bloated pasta and big pieces of carrots. She said it tasted good but that she had expected more of soup than this very thick soup that was more like a Minestrone Stew!
Then my friend ordered the Baked Egg soufflé and I ordered the Panini which came with tomato, basil and fresh mozzarella cheese on a Crusty French Baguette (that of course was squished down into a panini type sandwich in their panini maker). The Bake Egg soufflé came out looking so wonderfully puffy filled with ham and cheddar and my friend really seemed to enjoy it. She had only eaten half of her minestrone stew in order to leave room for her main ... and was happy that she did as she said it was very good. My Panini sandwich was okay ... I've had much better panini sandwiches and this one was just okay ... the filling was very sparse and I felt that it could have had more cheese, tomatoes and I could not taste the basil very much.
Overall their lunch menu is okay but there really is not a lot to choose from. It's more of a girly type restaurant as I could not see my guy enjoying this menu very much ... and that is one of the things that I had heard before going there was that it was more of a restaurant where the girls might want to meet and I have to say I agree after going.
I've checked out their dinner menu and there seems to be some repeats of the lunch menu and they just call it something different and add an extra ingredient but it too seems limited in choices.
Our server was very personable and the service was a little slow. They were busy that day but there are not a lot of tables.
There will be a patio opening in the back for the Summer months which was not open in April but I may have to go back and try out the patio as it seems to be in a very weird place ... all fenced in beside Ziegler Lumber ... from the outside it looked very enclosed and small but I was not on the patio and could only see so much because of the big fence!
There are other places in Port Elgin that I would have rather had lunch but had decided to try this new restaurant. Like I said I may go back to try out the patio ... maybe, because I was not as impressed as what others had made it sound like!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, Canada
“Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

My wife and I visited this restaurant for the first time 25 April. We found that the service and food was excellent. My wife had the Angus Beef sandwhich and Butternut Squash soup. Too be quite honest, when the soup arrived, it was not what she expected but once she tried it - it met all and exceeded her expectations. I had the Bacon and Bean soup followed by an Ontario Duck Confit sandwhich. All in all, an excellent meal!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere