“It Was an Okay Lunch” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
“It Was an Okay Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

My friend and I ate lunch at the Woodpecker in Port Elgin in April as I had heard that it was a must try restaurant. The first thing I noticed upon arrival is that it was small, clean and decorated quite nicely. They have cast iron and glass tables with chairs that could have been a little more comfortable. Since the place is small to begin with it seemed a little crowded as there were only two free tables and they are quite close together.
Their menu features a soup of the day, french onion soup as well as section called their "signature dishes" which includes quiche lorraine, baked egg soufflé, mussels, turkey chili, asparagus croque monsieur and a few other dishes. They also offer 3 "signature tossed salads" that looked interesting and delicious. Then it moves on their "signature sandwiches", pork, sirloin, lobster, panini and grilled cheese all with their own twist and ingredients.
I ordered the French Onion soup and my friend ordered the soup of the day which was Minestrone. The French Onion Soup was okay ... it came out very hot just the way I like it and had lots of cheese and bread in it ... a little too much bread ... and the broth was wonderfully delicious. My friends Minestrone Soup was very thick and hardly had any broth ... lots of bloated pasta and big pieces of carrots. She said it tasted good but that she had expected more of soup than this very thick soup that was more like a Minestrone Stew!
Then my friend ordered the Baked Egg soufflé and I ordered the Panini which came with tomato, basil and fresh mozzarella cheese on a Crusty French Baguette (that of course was squished down into a panini type sandwich in their panini maker). The Bake Egg soufflé came out looking so wonderfully puffy filled with ham and cheddar and my friend really seemed to enjoy it. She had only eaten half of her minestrone stew in order to leave room for her main ... and was happy that she did as she said it was very good. My Panini sandwich was okay ... I've had much better panini sandwiches and this one was just okay ... the filling was very sparse and I felt that it could have had more cheese, tomatoes and I could not taste the basil very much.
Overall their lunch menu is okay but there really is not a lot to choose from. It's more of a girly type restaurant as I could not see my guy enjoying this menu very much ... and that is one of the things that I had heard before going there was that it was more of a restaurant where the girls might want to meet and I have to say I agree after going.
I've checked out their dinner menu and there seems to be some repeats of the lunch menu and they just call it something different and add an extra ingredient but it too seems limited in choices.
Our server was very personable and the service was a little slow. They were busy that day but there are not a lot of tables.
There will be a patio opening in the back for the Summer months which was not open in April but I may have to go back and try out the patio as it seems to be in a very weird place ... all fenced in beside Ziegler Lumber ... from the outside it looked very enclosed and small but I was not on the patio and could only see so much because of the big fence!
There are other places in Port Elgin that I would have rather had lunch but had decided to try this new restaurant. Like I said I may go back to try out the patio ... maybe, because I was not as impressed as what others had made it sound like!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Southampton, Canada
“Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

My wife and I visited this restaurant for the first time 25 April. We found that the service and food was excellent. My wife had the Angus Beef sandwhich and Butternut Squash soup. Too be quite honest, when the soup arrived, it was not what she expected but once she tried it - it met all and exceeded her expectations. I had the Bacon and Bean soup followed by an Ontario Duck Confit sandwhich. All in all, an excellent meal!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“lunch yes... evening no.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I highly recommend going to the pecker for lunch, the food was delicious and the service was okay. The girls who work where beautiful but not much beyond that. I was intending on going to the lounge but I was informed that it was not worth it. The chairs and (coffee) tables made it very hard to eat. That was not the worst part, I was advised about the owner who works at night and that he was very undesirable. He has cut off many respectable people in the community. These people where not lushes in my opinion. All in all a great place to have lunch but a poor place to enjoy an evening.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Port Elgin, Canada
“Sensational food,atmosphere ,and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Whether you want a delicious bistro sandwich or a platter to split in the lounge this place has it all, large wine selection in the lounge with very friendly and knowledgeable servers, would recommend this to friends family and couples

Visited April 2014
Port Elgin, Canada
“Owners”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Myself and my wife went to this establishment one evening. The wait staff were very pleasant however the owners had a bad attitude. After my wife and I had a half L of wine and some food we both ordered another glass each to which the owner had asked us to leave and informed us that this was not that type of establishment. We were very shocked and offended that they had said this to us, as we are both responsible adults and had definitely not had "to much". We will not be returning or recommend to others.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
John C, Owner at The Woodpecker, Fresh Dining and Lounge, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
As owners who are working hard to ensure all of our customers enjoy their experience at The Woodpecker, we take every review very seriously. This one especially so because we believe it is a complete fabrication. We have been open for 1.5 months and remember every evening. I can categorically state that we have never refused service to anyone. We have, on two occasions, in accordance with the Ontario Liquor laws, slowed alcoholic service to individuals but on both occasions, it was to individuals within a larger group. Certainly not to a couple. Also, on both occasions, service did continue. Moreover, we do not even provide wine by the half litre therefore the reviewer is obviously mistaken. That said, I must also freely admit that if we ever do find ourselves in a situation where a customer is intoxicated, we will refuse service since it is the law and the right thing to do.

I regret this misunderstanding and can assure all readers that we will always work hard to make your visit to The Woodpecker enjoyable. We believe the other reviews have shown this to be the case so far but we are not resting on our initial success. We know that we can always improve and we will always consider everyone special.